So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's all about family.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-04-26, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: So, there's weather. What about VIOLENT weather?

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
When you start add "random" elements like lightning strikes, gale force winds, or other effects. Players tend to get really angry because its unpredictable.
This is the major counterpoint in my experience, and I think onwee had the correct answer.
Originally Posted by onwee View Post
All weather effects should be avoidable, and if you go into the weather you should know how it will affect your gameplay.
Operating in severe weather should be a risk that you decide whether or not to take. If storms and weather are predictable in their movement (show them on the map) and their affects then it should be alright if flying into a thunderstorm causes wind to buffet your aircraft, making it difficult to maneuver. Or if the weight of snow makes your vehicle slower to respond The pilot chose that risk. He could have flown around the storm.

Even things like being struck by lightning might be acceptable as long as it follows a transparent ruleset. If lightning always strikes the tallest objects in an area then troops can simply keep out of open fields and off of hilltops. Deviating from those safe areas is a risk that one can choose to take.

The trick is just to make sure that any penalties a player suffers are penalties that they could have avoided. Nobody likes being punished for something that isn't their fault.
Old 2012-04-26, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Brusi
Contributor
Major

^ this
Old 2012-04-26, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Well I wont mind being the first weather forcaster for Auruxias.
Old 2012-04-27, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I would love to see things like these GIANT weather systems in game (appearing occasionally), otherwise just normal weather systems would make their way around Auraxis

(I'd insert a snow storm image, but there isn't a point for it would be 99% white lol)

Having equipment like thermal imaging to see through storms would be epic, though maybe it wouldn't fit in PS despite how far in the future PS takes place, yet we have thermal imaging in our current day and age.

Last edited by DDSHADE; 2012-04-27 at 12:37 AM.
Old 2012-04-27, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I think there's a small variety of imagine equipment for dealing with cloakers and night time already, so I imagine some of that would be applicable to difficult weather.
Old 2012-04-27, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
FireStormNova
Corporal

I think extream weather effects would be awsome : not only would they be cool to see , but i could all ready see people useing it in tactics. It might be a perfect way to cloak a attack group rideing the storm into enemy territory.

Favorite weather effect : Fog = Fog of war! jk
Old 2012-04-28, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I'd be happy with a battle like this. Skip to 3:06

Last edited by Saieno; 2012-04-28 at 02:54 PM.
Old 2012-04-28, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Water levels should vary with the weather.

Wind should make flying interesting.

Fog should roll in in water areas and on ice.

Tornados should be possible in thunderstorms.

Dust storms should kick up in deserts.
Old 2012-04-29, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
TerranTitan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Well I wont mind being the first weather forcaster for Auruxias.
It would be awesome to have a daily weather report in the server! A prediction of wind gusts, rain, and severe weather. It could certainly have a large effect on the tactics employed at any given time.
Old 2012-04-29, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Toppopia
Major

I have some ideas about weather patterns:

1) Imagine fog that reduces visibility to 10 metres, that would be almost no vehicle usage and people on foot would have to keep a sharp eye out for people and not get lost.

2) I just thought of something probably annoying to some people but sounds awesome, Electric Storms that mess with equipment so it makes rader go fuzzy, communications become staticy and your HUD might fuzz a little, that would be an awesome anti vehicle weather.

3) Maybe if you are lucky then you could fly through a huge cloud that slowly engulfs your plane and creates a tunnel of electric storm that teleports you to some random location on the map, and if you hit the edges of the tunnel then you blow up because of the force of the winds.
Source: http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/bruce_gernon.html
So if it happens in real life it most certainly could happen on a weird planet we know nothing about.

Could make flying lots of fun.
Old 2012-04-29, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Kush
Captain

YES on violent weather, awesome idea and could provide many unique opportunities for strategy such as an invading force using a dust storm to cover their platoon
Old 2012-04-30, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
MercDT
Sergeant

This would be an amazing inclusion into this game, and it would be such a refreshing feature that has been lackluster in many other titles.

Man, I can just imagine walking through a thick fog in a forest while anticipating an ambush.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I think wheather absolutely needs to be in the game in some form, but I can only really see certain types being used and certain affects being fun.

1. Rain storms, regular variety and thunderstorms:
These could affect vision (regular rain just adds rain, thunderstorms could darken the area affected and of course have thicker rainfall)
Traction in vehicles (pretty self explanitory)
And in a thunderstorm perhaps winds affecting long range weapons like sniper rifles by adding minor horizontal drift.

2. Snow fall / Blizzards:
Almost identical to rain and a thunderstorm
Effects vision (in obvious ways)
Traction, same as rain but maybe a tad bit worse.
A blizzard could perhaps slow down some vehicles a tiny bit and wouldnt darken the world like a thunderstorm would.

3. Sandstorms:
Could have a mild and extreme variety, so they vary in intensity.
Effects vision heavily, more if its a heavier storm.
Doesn't really effect traction.
High winds can effect long range fire.

Basically these are three varieties with a mild and an extreme version.

You could say sandstorm effects weapons by adding weapon jamming or blizzard effects communications and makes them suffer or your minimap is effected but that sort of stuff to me gets in the way too much.

I want weather and I would like it to change the way we play but not in too excessive of ways.
Old 2012-04-30, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Toppopia
Major

There could be a no mans land in the middle of the map the most bizzare weather happens, like an equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle where the thickest fog is found, time traveling storms (teleports you somewhere ahead of your current heading, I mentioned this earlier) weird Aurouella Bellis type effects, strong winds etc,

Now you are all thinking these are crazy ideas, but this is a weird planet that could have special atmospheric conditions that we don't know anything abou
Old 2012-04-30, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MercDT View Post
Man, I can just imagine walking through a thick fog in a forest while anticipating an ambush.
That right there is why Hossin was the best continent in PS1.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault