Runners on vehicles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We will miss you Auraxis!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-05, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dr Dinocrusher
Private

Runners on vehicles

Well, this is something I came up with the other day. I haven't seen anything about it in any of the previews so as far as I know it hasn't been implemented yet. Vehicle customization just seems to be weapons/camo. Basically, as an upgrade for vehicles they can attach handles and runners (or 'assault skids', or whatever name the devs want) to the vehicle, allowing infantry (but not MAX suits) to hang off of it and it for transport. E.g., tanks, mosquitoes and reavers would all be capable of carrying troops around. The tradeoff, of course, is that this takes up whatever else could be in that slot, and the troops aren't very well protected since they're hanging off of a vehicle. I figure the number of troops carried would be 2 or 4 (with an even number on each side), probably depending on vehicle. It'd be a good way to expand the role that aircraft and (non-transport) ground vehicles can play in my opinion and expand transport options, and the vulnerability of the troops wouldn't make it to overpowered in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dr Dinocrusher; 2012-06-05 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Cool Re: Runners on vehicles

The actual hanging itself would have to be a cert skill, but good idea
Old 2012-06-05, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Runners on vehicles

I'm not really feeling it. Especially on aircraft.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Purple
Sergeant Major

The game developers have wisely decided to make an aircraft specifically for moving troops around the battlefield! This new amazing air allows fighters and gunships to focus on killing people instead of transporting.

Happy flying!
Old 2012-06-05, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Dr Dinocrusher View Post
Well, this is something I came up with the other day. I haven't seen anything about it in any of the previews so as far as I know it hasn't been implemented yet. Vehicle customization just seems to be weapons/camo. Basically, as an upgrade for vehicles they can attach handles and runners (or 'assault skids', or whatever name the devs want) to the vehicle, allowing infantry (but not MAX suits) to hang off of it and it for transport. E.g., tanks, mosquitoes and reavers would all be capable of carrying troops around. The tradeoff, of course, is that this takes up whatever else could be in that slot, and the troops aren't very well protected since they're hanging off of a vehicle. I figure the number of troops carried would be 2 or 4 (with an even number on each side), probably depending on vehicle. It'd be a good way to expand the role that aircraft and (non-transport) ground vehicles can play in my opinion and expand transport options, and the vulnerability of the troops wouldn't make it to overpowered in my opinion.

Thoughts?
I'm going to say this is a great idea. But for aircraft, leave it to the Galaxy. A Galaxy mod that exposes transported troops but allows them to attack would be great, especially if MAXes were on board. Far as your idea for troops hanging on tanks and stuff - a LOT of people want this. If they will ever add it, who knows, but it is a fun though ofr being able to grab onto a tank on the go.

I don't know if it will be possible just yet though. Once they add in enter/exit animations, it would be much more plausible, as there would be an actual mounting spot for the soldier.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hosp
First Sergeant

Its true alot of people want this on tanks and other certain ground vehicles. Even i do. But it shouldnt be on to many and shouldnt be on aircraft.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

I think this idea would just work against organization and team play as it would make it easier to zerg onto random vehicles instead of coordinating within a group. Don't like that idea; sorry.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
AssassinGT
Private

I think this idea would be fantastic if you could limit the aircraft to say 1 troop per side and have only light assault or infiltrators be able to hold on. It very much reminds me of delta force riding in on little birds.

I say if you're gonna use a cert point for it, definitely. But it should be a cert point for the pilot AND the troop.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cuross
Master Sergeant

This is a nice idea for several reasons.

First: putting rails on tanks at the cost of armor is a high risk support role for the tanker. What may have been able to protect them from four or five HEAT rounds from an enemy MBT now can only protect them against two to four. But, throw two infantry men on each side, and you're able to drive them into battle for a variety of purposes like supporting the vanguard force or for spec ops runs. Give the infantrymen access to their weapons and you've got slightly more firepower in exchange for the armor.

Second: regarding aircraft, sure the galaxy is the greatest troop transport/gunship available, but keep in mind that while the galaxy is the troop transport of choice, it is the riskiest vehicle to be in. Everyone who's played anti-air tell me you haven't stopped shooting at those annoying mossies and reavers and started unleashing hell on an incoming galaxy, regardless of your health and danger. This also opens up the option for relatively stealthy drops. Two to four infantrymen strapped onto the sides of a mosquito flying low and bringing them just close enough to the front to cause a little mayhem. Basically instead of flying in a bunch of C-130's, you'll be flying in a few Huey's packing a strike team.

And third: Come on, we've all seen war movies with a bunch of soldiers sitting on the side of tanks on their way to the battlefront. Not all soldiers in PS2 will have the option of flying in on a gal, or purchasing their own vehicle, which means that they'll have a good five or ten minute run to the battlefront. I would sure be kinder to tankers and pilots willing to play taxi.

Just my opinions, of course. I like it
Old 2012-06-06, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hosp
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
I think this idea would just work against organization and team play as it would make it easier to zerg onto random vehicles instead of coordinating within a group.
The zerg will do that anyway. Besides, if vehicle permissions are anything like PS1, an outfit can lock their vehicle from empire use and limit it to group use. Or even a random squad can do that, thus promoting teamwork. Or hell, if someone needs to get from point A to B and wants to hitch a ride...guess what, that's still teamwork (albeit to a lesser extent).
Old 2012-06-06, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
WVoneseven
Corporal

I wholly support this idea!! It would allow for much smaller and less noticeable forces to stick together say 2 reaver gunships carrying 2 passengers each (plus pilot) if the pilots desmbarked too thats a 6 man inf team in the place they need to be in the middle of the night!! and even the fact that the pilots could defend the 4 passengers as they landed too and draw attention from their invisible comrades!
Old 2012-06-07, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
Basically instead of flying in a bunch of C-130's, you'll be flying in a few Huey's packing a strike team.
I think it would be closer to flying in a few Apache's. There are reasons that they don't load troops onto those except in emergencies.

I think the underlying problem here is a lack of light troop transports, and it's not the first time the issue has been brought up(http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...highlight=bird). If that does turn out to be an issue, then I'd like to suggest that the best way to fill that gap would be to simply re-introduce the Deliverer and Phantasm as either new vehicles or variants of existing vehicles such as the Lib.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gonzo
Private

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I think the underlying problem here is a lack of light troop transports, and it's not the first time the issue has been brought up(http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...highlight=bird). If that does turn out to be an issue, then I'd like to suggest that the best way to fill that gap would be to simply re-introduce the Deliverer and Phantasm as either new vehicles or variants of existing vehicles such as the Lib.
I would definitely agree. right now PS2 only has transports on the extreme ends of the spectrum. It jumps from the 1 man Flash, to the 12 man Sunderer and Galaxy. There needs to be 5-6 player transports for air and ground, to give more speed, flexibility, and potentially more offensive capabilities.
Old 2012-06-08, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
WVoneseven
Corporal

SUV size and speed would be appropriate for a new vehicle class.
Would be cool for all factions to have their own too. Give the NC a boxy jeep/Humvee looking thing while the TR get a vehicle with a bit more curve (aerodynamics you see) maybe similar to the newest FJ land cruiser and the VS a floating SUV sized thing hahahah
Old 2012-06-08, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I like the idea of introducing light/mid troop carriers, both ground and aerial types.

Also:
Originally Posted by AssassinGT View Post
I think this idea would be fantastic if you could limit the aircraft to say 1 troop per side and have only light assault or infiltrators be able to hold on.
Originally Posted by WVoneseven View Post
I wholly support this idea!! It would allow for much smaller and less noticeable forces to stick together say 2 reaver gunships carrying 2 passengers each (plus pilot) if the pilots desmbarked too thats a 6 man inf team in the place they need to be in the middle of the night!! and even the fact that the pilots could defend the 4 passengers as they landed too and draw attention from their invisible comrades!
Yes, with a very limited number of passengers (2 at most for any vehicle), light troops only (no MAXes or Heavy Assault) and a tradeoff (like armor as someone already mentioned), it could work.

Originally Posted by AssassinGT View Post
I say if you're gonna use a cert point for it, definitely. But it should be a cert point for the pilot AND the troop.
Seconded.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-08 at 10:02 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault