How do you like the new Liberator? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You're still here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-28, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

How do you like the new Liberator?

I'm very curious about your opinions on the new Liberator's design.

Personally, I like the overall concept - the wings, tail, the overall bulky fuselage. I even like the wide-ass bottom part, as it reminds me of a C-130 and naval transport choppers like the Sea Stallion.

What I don't like is how the canopies are so vertical (I would prefer them a lot more sloped) and the "hump" section (I would just cut it out, leave everything at tail level, then move the top canopy down and forward, towards the front canopy).

Either the angle of the render makes the Lib look extremely veritcal, or it's extremely vertical and the top section (everything above the wings) might benefit from being moved down some. This would make the Lib look more like a bomber than a Clone Trooper dropship. Plus, the design would better fit possible sidegrade/customization options, like making it a dive-bomber/tank-killer (the equivalent of PS1's Vulture).

What do you think? Is there anyone here who flat-out loves the new Lib? Hopefully I'm the only one who doesn't know if want.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: How do you like the new Liberator?

It's... nice. And something.

Looks more like a galaxy tbh.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm with the OP. I like the design concept but it looks a little taller than it should. As it is now I'm worried that I'm going to try to pull my old "flying under the walkways" trick and end up getting the damn thing stuck. It may just be the angle we're seeing it at but that section above the wings, especially the segment for the second cockpit, seems like it ought to be lowered and smoothed a bit to make the design look a little sleeker.

I still have not figured out that "inflatable raft" thing at the bottom. You can see the gear there, and if they're that size then they don't need nearly that much space to retract. The thing doesn't mesh with the fuselage either, it's almost like it was superglued on at the last minute...
Old 2011-09-28, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
FIREk
Captain

I suppose the thing at the bottom is related to the Lib's bomb compartment, or is just derived from many transport aircraft and helicopters as "an interesting thing to add".

Interestingly enough, here is what looks like concept art for PS1's Liberator:

Originally the top was supposed to be pretty flat, but it ended up with a hump. The new Liberator's hump section may be a homage to the actual in-game model:

I wouldn't mind the PS2's Lib having the huge, sloped front canopy. I always found it cool that you could see the pilot's whole body through the glass.

For reference, here is the new Lib, so you don't have to switch tabs/windows:

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-28 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Traak
Colonel

If it has wheels, that implies rolling takeoffs. And, my bet is that the front glass is for the bombardier, as per real bombers, such as the B17.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-09-28 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
If it has wheels, that implies rolling takeoffs.
It would make some sense, assuming the devs don't want it to be able to hover and spam towers with bombs. It does have VTOL engines, though, so rolling takeoffs are doubtful.
Plus, think about having to put runways on the map, not to mention making different vehicle pads that would facilitate a rolling takeoff.
I think the wheels are just for show.

And, my bet is that the front glass is for the bombardier, as per real bombers, such as the B17.
I assumed as much meself.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Traak
Colonel

Oh, and I want Klieg lights for night defense of SOI's. Spot them bombers pronto!
Old 2011-09-28, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

If it has wheels, that implies rolling takeoffs.
I will respond to you in much the same way I responded to my friend who had the same idea.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=black...1t:429,r:3,s:0
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-28, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Lib piloting was my favorite thing in PS. Needs to be slimmer, looks too tall and fat. If I wanted to fly an elephant I'd be a gal pilot.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sirisian
Colonel

Since I plan to be bombing a lot I feel the bottom needs to go. I'd prefer to keep the "fat" look but make it more streamlined so it looks like something that can drop out of the sky and dive bomb a target. Not something just lazily dropping bombs from the max height.

Also I want the tail gunner to also have rockets when they don't have anything to shoot with the tailgun. Then the secondary gunner can switch to viewing forward and the tailgun position at any time.</pipe dream>

Also via the power of the stamp tool my dream lib (could use some fixes. I want to land on the wings not the bottom).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-09-28 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

That bottom looks kinda weird, but I absolutely love all the winglets and the little flaps on the trailing edges
Old 2011-09-28, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

The new lib looks like another perversion by kamov design bureau.

EDIT: The original lib was of the most genuine design. I want it back.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-09-28 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Also via the power of the stamp tool my dream lib (could use some fixes. I want to land on the wings not the bottom).
I think I may be in love. Can you show us how it would look like without the flat bottom section cut off, though?

I don't know how time-consuming it is, but could you try making another Lib "redo" by flattening the "hump" and moving the two canopies closer together, without merging them? Making the front of the top canopy more sloped would be great too.

Unfortunately the only editing tool I have at hand is Paint, and I would have to learn GIMP from scratch... :<

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-28 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

I like the way it looks originally - looks more bomberish

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-09-28, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I really like the new design; looks bloody ugly and dangerous.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion