Could be bad... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Signatures Are For Weeners.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-03-11, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Could be bad...

I've seen a few maps, and I have one very big hope: that there will be a hell of a lot more bases in final version for each planet.
Old 2003-03-11, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sir Lucius
Private

too many bases will slow down framerates. And that would be WORSE.
Old 2003-03-11, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

Not necessarily, and I don't want them to go insane, either. Maybe ten per continent, or a few more, nothing over twenty. But around ten on the entire planet is just a wee bit too little.
Old 2003-03-11, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Discordja
Corporal

# bases won't slow down framerates since you'll only be seeing one base at any one time ...
Old 2003-03-11, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

Continents vary in size and bases are pretty spread out.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-03-11, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hawklans
Contributor
Private

Too few bases = too many people fighting in one area
Too many bases = too few people fighting to make it fun

So yeah about ten should be fun, but it depends on how many people sign up to play etc etc etc
Old 2003-03-11, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
FraBaktos
First Sergeant

I just wanna clear something up: They aren't seperate planets, they are seperate continents seperated by water. The reason you can't just fly across the oceans in a Galaxy tho is you get too far away from the warpgates, from which all vehicles receive their power. Just thought I'd clear this up. Continents, not planets.
Old 2003-03-11, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by NeoTassadar
Not necessarily, and I don't want them to go insane, either. Maybe ten per continent, or a few more, nothing over twenty. But around ten on the entire planet is just a wee bit too little.
They do have continents with more than 10 bases (cyssor has 17) plus you got to factor in towers (another 10 ++ per continent).
Old 2003-03-11, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Havs
Private

Well lets do the math...

If there's 10 bases per continent, and 10 continents, that's 100 bases overall. If you figure 1500 people per server during offpeak hours, and 3000 during peak hours, that equates to 15 people per base in the offpeak hours, and 30 people per base during peak (don't let my math skills amaze you). Considering a decent percentage of players will be travelling, making an assault on an enemy base or in aircraft, you're talkin about 5-15 people stationed at each base. I dunno about you, but Billy and his squadron guarding a base doesn't equate to an epic battle in my head.

Personally, I'd like the base count to be somewhere in the order of 50, that'd put the base numbers closer to the 30 person range. If things are too spread out you're gonna see alot of people capping empty bases, which doesn't equate to fun.
Old 2003-03-11, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Discordja
Corporal

i was under the impression you can expect closer to 5k people at peak time.

furthermore, i'd say there will be some bases that rarely have people at them so take all those extras and deposit them into those central bases and you'll have a lot more.
Old 2003-03-13, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Da King
Sergeant

Methinks bases are fine because people will find ways to get to them and capture the bases but too meny bases would mean people will be two spread out and I'm looking forward to the huge battles over bases.
Old 2003-03-13, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Itlan
Private

Reading is fun

This is much ado about nada. They have already stated that the map system shows where hot spots (big battles) are. So if all you want to do is bum rush large battles this will be easily accomplished. The flipe side is that Bldg abilities are tied to what other bldgs you own this will force strategic battles over whichever turns out to be the more important bldgs to own. Will certain places/bldgs turn out to be red heasded step children who get no love, ofcourse. But thats the fun of ebb and flow with people rushing out to defend a backward base when they realize it gets published that the base was hacked and is 15 minutes from getting turned over.

If every base was fort knox and defended by 30 dorks then this game will suck, nobody wants a complete stand off everwhere they go. I expect a nice mix of big and small battles to be raging most of the time.

Ebb and flow, those who organize the best to deal with the ebb and flow will win the nightly battles. Those who solo run around like this is Tribes will find themselves on the short end of the continent every night..............................
Old 2003-03-13, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Havs
Well lets do the math...

If there's 10 bases per continent, and 10 continents, that's 100 bases overall. If you figure 1500 people per server during offpeak hours, and 3000 during peak hours, that equates to 15 people per base in the offpeak hours, and 30 people per base during peak (don't let my math skills amaze you). Considering a decent percentage of players will be travelling, making an assault on an enemy base or in aircraft, you're talkin about 5-15 people stationed at each base. I dunno about you, but Billy and his squadron guarding a base doesn't equate to an epic battle in my head.
<obligatory response>

100 bases, 50 bases, 1000 bases - doesn't matter.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

</obligatory response with old, worn-out meme>
Old 2003-03-13, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by Chanfan
<obligatory response>

100 bases, 50 bases, 1000 bases - doesn't matter.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

</obligatory response with old, worn-out meme>
whos "us"

my guess is the NC cuz we cant spell good (All Your Base Are Belong To Us. )

Old 2003-03-13, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheAvantGawk
Private

www.allyourbase.net
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion