There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This quote will deconstruct in five seconds.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-08, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
WorldOfForms
Corporal

There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals

I was thinking about the fewer vehicles and fewer continents, and having recently entered game development myself, it hit me: it's because the game is free to play.

Even aside from PS1's subscription, the game itself cost $50. What this meant was that the development cost of all those features at launch got immediately recouped with the initial purchase. Then there was the guaranteed revenue of subscriptions.

If PS2 tried to have ten continents and all those vehicles, the initial cost would be too risky for a game that generates zero revenue from the outset.

Also, because of the F2P model, the devs MUST provide lots of customization options, which takes dev time that could have been spent on those continents and vehicles we want so much. So it's also a shifting of dev resources.

Finally, they need more space to grow than PS1, content-wise. PS1 could sprinkle in new features just enough to keep people subbed, but PS2 will need to keep a steady stream of new stuff for people to buy. By starting with a small set of features, that gives the devs room to learn from the players: what are people buying, what classes/vehicle/continents do they play with the most? Then they can use that data to determine how to add new features.

Bottom line: PS2 may seem simple right now, but if the model works, it's possible the game will become much more complex than PS1, given some time.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Re: There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals

It has fewer conts. because launching with ten would be absurd. And every time they add a new one they can do a whole ad campaign to get more people in or get people who get bored to come back.

It has fewer vehicles because some were just begging to be combined.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Nash
Private

Re: There's an element to PS2's "simplification" that isn't about attracting casuals

Err,... duh. :P
Old 2012-06-08, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dreamcast
Major

Makes Perfect sense.

Seems like they want to do money fast too since Planetside is suppose to launch this year.

Also one of the ways League of Legends makes money is by selling new champs.....So New weapons/Vehicles are going to be a good way to make money.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-06-08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DerFurst
Corporal

Misc Info

Even more the reason for us to support this game. I don't think any of us will have a problem doing that.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

yes

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd also mention that it's a sequel, not a remake.

Some of these changes are straight up simplification. Good or bad, some things are being made more simple.

However I believe that other things aren't being made more simple, just different. We can't yet see the complexity because we haven't gotten our hands on the game yet. The only legitimate comparison we have to a game of this style is the first Planetside, so obviously any changes are going to be a big unknown for us.

I would urge people to temper their fears and doubts with the understanding that with so many changes, we don't really know how good or bad some things will work. Thins aren't being changed in a vacuum. It's not like this is the first Planetside + regenerating shields on everyone. It's a whole new game, like a new ecosystem, where all of the different elements work together in a new way.

The developers have had more hands on time to make sure this stuff works together. At the same time, they have stated that they are waiting for data to roll in from beta to perfect the balance and add/remove some features.

I would suggest that players maintain the same outlook as the devs. Wait for data from the beta before freaking out.

At the same time, don't stop discussing and debating and speculating and throwing ideas out there. Some things we may not know, but other things may be more certainly or likely or obviously broken. Also, some things may not be broken, but we as fans just prefer it a certain way, and we need to let the developers know through our frequent discussions that it's important to us. They will probably be able to oblige is in a lot of areas, even if it's only a compromise.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-08, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Simplification is good. That makes it easier to learn the more complicated parts, like capture mechanics, territory control, and resources.

And some stuff really needed simplifying. PS1 had a steep learning curve and that impacted new player retention in a bad way.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

PS1 didn't launch with all the vehicles it has now.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by WorldOfForms View Post
I was thinking about the fewer vehicles and fewer continents, and having recently entered game development myself, it hit me: it's because the game is free to play.
Congratulations on the career change. I made that switch from business programming myself last November. Still grinning. My face hurts.

It's not just free to play. The level of detail an AAA title needs in order to be competitive is VASTLY higher than it once was, such that even with spiffy modern tools (z-brush springs to mind) it still takes more time to generate the content.

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Nor features, weapons, caves, BFRs. For good or ill, Less Stuff.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
bjorntju1
Captain

Don't forget everything is much more detailed. So it takes much more work to make something than 9 years ago. Just look at a continent in PS2 that we have now, and a continent in PS1 that we had 9 years back.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
WorldOfForms
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Yes, I remember, but the number on launch was bigger than what we have now:

PS2

Liberator
MBTs
Heavy Air Cav
Sunderer
Galaxy
Lightning
Quad

PS1
Reaver
Mosquito
MBTs
Sundy
Gal
Buggies
Deliverers
Lightning
Quads
ANT
AMS
Did I miss something?

I know that part of the reduced number is reducing redundancy, but clearly another element is less dev time modeling and designing separate assets.
Old 2012-06-08, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Aurmanite
Captain

Almost every system in Planetside is deeper and more complex than the original.

"Simplified" and "dumbed down" are catch phrases/buzz words for people that want to seem like they have a valuable opinion.
Old 2012-06-08, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Having 'certs' to swap seats faster isn't my idea of 'useful' deepness nor complexity.

Does it even count if you can eventually get it all anyway? Inb4 'hurr BR40', yes, something that was added at the very end of PS1 life, not implemented from the start.
Old 2012-06-08, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Inverness
Private

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
I won't say that yet until we know about how many different ways there are to capture bases and how many different tactics are available for that, because I haven't seen a generator or NTU silo yet.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion