Regenerating Health?...Why? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: anyone seen my BFR keys?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Regenerating Health?...Why?

In the Live Stream, we got footage of the regeneration of wounded soldiers. Now, I'm not sure if this was a cert or just passive ability that everyone had..

I'm fine with regenerating shields, it seems to me, shields are there so people have a encentive to not commit suicide if they do make it out of a duel with a sliver of green health left, that's fine. but I don't like the regenerating green health.

Reason why I say this is because that if your dueling with a guy then he can just run away and heal up fully. I don't think that's what the game should be encouraging this attack and retreat style.

Furthermore, it kind of makes medics less worthwhile to pick as a class. Why bring a medic right when you can just run away and regen right? The way I see it is that medics would be just used more for revivals then actually healing. Since everyone can heal.

If anything, regen health should be kept as a perk and not as a base passive that every class gets. Assuming that's what it is.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Re: Regenerating Health?...Why?

I'm still not really sure how I feel about this, I'll wait until I play the game to decide. What I will tentatively say though, is I agree that it does devalue medics to some extent. I really enjoyed the teamwork in PS1 of medics and engis moving around a hallway bringing people back up to optimum after a fight through a basement, before a spawn room rush.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Health didn't regenerate. What you saw were shields.

Also, when health was regenerating, it was because there were medics around healing people. That's what the green particles were
Old 2012-06-05, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

Hehe, you dorks. It's for the sake of the new playtesters at E3. They added in a lot of stuff they are removing after E3 so the game goes over better with those greenhorns with their heads cut off trying to find the next guy to kill.

So don't worry and relax, regenerating health will most likely be gone. Shields regen, health does not.

I think I heard Clegg say they had features in just for E3, so I do know for a fact many of the negative features were just for show.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-05 at 09:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

No, Roy, there were plenty of times where health regenerated ~20 seconds after combat, and there were no medics around.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
GoldDragon
Corporal

Originally Posted by Knightwyvern View Post
I'm still not really sure how I feel about this, I'll wait until I play the game to decide. What I will tentatively say though, is I agree that it does devalue medics to some extent. I really enjoyed the teamwork in PS1 of medics and engis moving around a hallway bringing people back up to optimum after a fight through a basement, before a spawn room rush.
I agree with this. They saw a lot about the many roles you can play in PlanetSide but with auto regen on health there is no question about it devaluing medics. Off hand, I don't like the mechanic. That said, I'd be okay with it regenerating very, VERY slowly so if you can't find a medic or really feel like going lone wolf you're not totally screwed but you still want a medic to heal you up.

Push the teamwork!
Old 2012-06-05, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DayOne
Captain

I'd love this to be a piece of equipment that you have to cert into. But I don't like that everyone just has it, we already have shields.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
blazie
Private

If it does regenerate by itself, I just hope its a case of after a minute being at really low health your armour gives you emergency medication so you get up to 20 health or something. So getting fully healed would require a medic.

Planetside is all about teamwork, and would make us medics feel a bit useless if we weren't needed.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gelnika
Private

There was regenerating health in the demo they showed, and no one knows if it will stay like that in the real deal.

I don't have an issue with it so long as the regeneration countdown timer is not too short and the actual regeneration is not too fast. Again...wait 'til Beta.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hyiero
Private

Having got my hands on the game for about an hour today my health didn't regenerate once but I believe there was a cert for slow up regen and alot of people were getting healed by medics. Though my shields did regen after about 15secs
Old 2012-06-05, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hyiero View Post
Having got my hands on the game for about an hour today my health didn't regenerate once but I believe there was a cert for slow up regen and alot of people were getting healed by medics. Though my shields did regen after about 15secs
Maybe that's what it was. That still shouldn't even be something you can cert into. The more certs you have, less reliance on medics?
Old 2012-06-05, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
blazie
Private

Originally Posted by Hyiero View Post
Thats good news.

I suppose the cert would be good for lone wolf sniper / recon types. And I'd think infantry in the heat of battle would rather spend their certs on other things that would be useful, as being a front line trooper I'd expect there to be medics on hand / little need or want to spend a few minutes hiding and missing the action.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Hehe, you dorks. It's for the sake of the new playtesters at E3. They added in a lot of stuff they are removing after E3 so the game goes over better with those greenhorns with their heads cut off trying to find the next guy to kill.

So don't worry and relax, regenerating health will most likely be gone. Shields regen, health does not.

I think I heard Clegg say they had features in just for E3, so I do know for a fact many of the negative features were just for show.
Are you sure? I've watched the Live Stream and they never mentioned anything about the health regen being temporary.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Maybe that's what it was. That still shouldn't even be something you can cert into. The more certs you have, less reliance on medics?
They had to give up something else for it.

PS1 had the regen implant, remember.
Old 2012-06-05, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
This, certs don't make something that wasn't OK to exist, OK to exist.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion