Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-30, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Intel is going to an AMDish CPU naming system

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2012

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-30, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

*Me continually wacks old Intel computer with a large stick*
Old 2004-03-30, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cyanide
Major

lol. I can see AMD's new marketing strategy now. "Look stupid computer illiterate public. Our processors have numbers like 3000 and 3400, while Intel's processors have numbers like 540 and 550. Which one do you think is faster?". And the users will be like "duuuuhh...3000 is bigger than 550. I like big numbers "
Old 2004-03-30, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

its funny becsaue thats what intel did to AMD

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-31, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Cyanide dumbass, AMD has those numbers to demonstrate the CPU's ability. Thus, an AMD 3200+ is roughly equivelent to a 3200mhz Intel. They had to do this because the consumer market is stupid and only looks at clock speeds. However, the 3200+ only runs at 2ghz clock speed. Since AMD builds chips that run at a lower clock speed than Intel, they had to adopt their current naming scheme to prevent them from losing the "stupid" consumer that thinks that clock speed is the only thing that dictates how well a processor will perform.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-03-31 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2004-03-31, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cyanide
Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
Cyanide dumbass, AMD has those numbers to demonstrate the CPU's ability. Thus, an AMD 3200+ is roughly equivelent to a 3200mhz Intel. They had to do this because the consumer market is stupid and only looks at clock speeds. However, the 3200+ only runs at 2ghz clock speed. Since AMD builds chips that run at a lower clock speed than Intel, they had to adopt their current naming scheme to prevent them from losing the "stupid" consumer that thinks that clock speed is the only thing that dictates how well a processor will perform.
I know why AMD does that, you cum crusted cock-holster. I've built several AMD systems, including the 2 that I own. The point is that most people don't care about anything but the number that comes after the brand name, weather it's the clock speed or not. Please attempt to comprehend the post before you call me a dumbass.
Old 2004-03-31, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

could you to plz quit fighting. God i hate fanboys.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-03-31, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Red October
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NoSurrender
could you to plz quit fighting. God i hate fanboys.
Yeah! Fighting belongs in the Political Debate Spam Room!
Old 2004-03-31, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ok i will lock threads if stuff like this continues

Old 2004-03-31, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
dscytherulez
Lieutenant Colonel

AMD 4life homies! lol
Old 2004-04-01, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
eXoSloth
Major

Misc Info

For some reason that fanboy comment just sent me over the edge. It made me feel like I was reading something from somethingaweful
Old 2004-04-02, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Cyanide I called you a dumbass because the wording of your post implied that you think that AMD has their current naming system in order to take advantage of the computer illiterate. Most people don't look at the CPU model number and go "er... that one has a bigger number so I'll go with it". Hell, most consumers don't know the name of the processor they are buying. Usually they just know the manufacturer and the clock speed. Thats why most people who are buying a processor will go, "that one has more mhz I'll go with it."

The changed naming system will change nothing. Intel processors will continue to be commonly referred to by their clock speed, while AMD will continue to be referred to by their model name.

Also. I am definately no fanboy. I used Intel processors since my first computer, which was my dad's with a 66 mhz Intel. My first AMD processor was bought only 5 months ago, when I got my AMD 64 3200+. I think both companies produce excellent processors. I tend to post most about AMD processors because I know the most about them, not because I think they are any better than Intel. (I admit that when I had an Intel, I rarely kept up to date on CPU information. I was more into programming and software back then, and not as well informed on hardware, as I am now. Naturally, having an AMD, I learned the most about them.)

edit: I do tend to get a little pissed off when people seem to think that AMD is taking advantage of people because they use a naming system that indicates the relative power of the CPU. If my AMD 64 was called a 2000+ (Synonymous with the clock speed that is), the "stupid" consumer would never buy it. They would realize that it runs at "only" 2000mhz and think that its a complete piece of junk when compared to an Intel 3.2 ghz, when in fact its comparable. Sorry if that seems "fanboi" to you guys.

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-04-02 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2004-04-02, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cyanide
Major

I never implied that they use that naming convention to take advantage of the computer illiterate. They use it because of the computer illiterate. In the future, please do not tell me what I'm implying, because most likely (as in this case) you will be wrong. Just take the post for what it was (a joke) and leave it at that.
Old 2004-04-02, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I said you "implied" because thats the way I saw your post. I took it in a different context than you intended. Lets not get into a big squabble over it.

Old 2004-04-02, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ok, time to move on

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum