Air Power Is EXACTLY Fine - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop living in your friends bathroom.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2013-01-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Argentum
Private

Air Power

NOt, What do you use to kill it while on the ground?

Last edited by Argentum; 2013-01-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rothnang
Major

Re: Air Power Is EXACTLY Fine

As of right now the dynamics in the game where air is concerned are such that AA guns do damage to aircraft in a very large radius, do so very reliably and give aircraft very little they can do to avoid getting hit.
That means that if you mass AA guns in an area they exponentially become more and more powerful, every additional gun increases the amount of damage aircraft will take, and give them less viable cover, and makes their time window to get away before they explode smaller. The individual AA guns are relatively weak however.

From a practical standpoint what it boils down to is simply this: A single aircraft vs. a single AA gun, the aircraft wins. A lot of aircraft vs. a lot of AA guns, the AA guns win.

The only reason why aircraft currently rule supreme in random battles is simply because hardly anyone wants to pull AA guns since the XP reward for only being a tiny part of a large battery is not big enough. Organized outfits run AA squads to great effect, and after the XP distribution change we'll likely see aircraft become pretty pointless, since they just aren't at all effective when a lot of AA is in an area.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-01-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rothnang View Post
As of right now the dynamics in the game where air is concerned are such that AA guns do damage to aircraft in a very large radius, do so very reliably and give aircraft very little they can do to avoid getting hit.
That means that if you mass AA guns in an area they exponentially become more and more powerful, every additional gun increases the amount of damage aircraft will take, and give them less viable cover, and makes their time window to get away before they explode smaller. The individual AA guns are relatively weak however.

From a practical standpoint what it boils down to is simply this: A single aircraft vs. a single AA gun, the aircraft wins. A lot of aircraft vs. a lot of AA guns, the AA guns win.

The only reason why aircraft currently rule supreme in random battles is simply because hardly anyone wants to pull AA guns since the XP reward for only being a tiny part of a large battery is not big enough. Organized outfits run AA squads to great effect, and after the XP distribution change we'll likely see aircraft become pretty pointless, since they just aren't at all effective when a lot of AA is in an area.
Roth hit the nail on the head. Generally speaking, I know loads of air doesn't give us much pause in our outfit as we'll quickly pull about 5-6 AA MAXes and deal with it. I've seen an Enclave Annihalator nest, I assume aircraft doesn't bother them all that much either.

One time in particular, Enclave had taken Copper Ravine on Indar - unbeknownst to us - and we were just above it on the cliff, flakking NC as they came out of the warpgate. We noticed TR getting "our" kills, and realized what was going on. Must have been perplexing to the NC to see both TR and VS killing their air.

And good heavens, they have GOON, SG, SMG, TAS, WMD - there was loads of air.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
rookBishop
Private

Air is essentially great for picking off stragglers, lone tanks, and harassing flanks. Like the two above me pointed out, a dedicated AA battery will essentially create a no go zone for most aircraft. If you find air to be overpowered, stop being a straggler or a lone tank and join an organized outfit.
Old 2013-01-20, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Koot
Private

New and buffed Skyguard.

'nuff said.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions