Why is it class based? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Vanu are Watching.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-10, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Re: Why is it class based?

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
Except you have to choose between AI or AV with the heavy assault. And med packs? I've not heard anything about them.
Not fully true. You can't have an MCG or JH with your Striker/Phoenix, but you can still carry the LMG, and with the lower TTKs, it shouldn't be that different from an MCG.

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
There will be med packs apparently, popping them will cost you resources as with grenades.

Not that med packs negate the need for an actual Medic. Just like in PS1 where everyone and his dog certs Medical, although everyone has access to med packs for free. So the argument "Look! Medpacks! I'm still totally self-sufficient just like in PS1!" hardly holds.
I used medpacks and the regen implant in PS1 instead of Medic, did just fine.

Last edited by DOUBLEXBAUGH; 2012-07-10 at 05:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Ok, now THAT'S cute. I like it.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
ringring
Contributor
General

It's because people understand classes from past experience. The devs want a wider player base and so make it easier for new people.

I lol at the promoted lone-wolves comments .... look the the ps2 streams we've seen so far.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Karrade
First Sergeant

Yeah same here, unless we were low on people carrying it, which was always unlikely. I just stayed fixing the max's and helping holding a secondary line behind them, worked quite well.

This way you'd be repairing and healing at the same time, made all the difference during those AV slugging matches in the field too.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-10 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
I'll miss the PS1 system. It had its strengths; but I'll have a hell of a lot of fun despite the class system. I'm more worried about the finality of this system.

In PS1 I could recert at anytime and this allowed me to redefine myself when my outfit needed it and it also aloud my outfit to have an tank day every friday or something of the like. As long as there's a 24hr ticker on the recert option I think thats a helpful and fun tool. I'm worried about not having this or are they allowing periodic recerts?
I would be amazed if SoE were to forsake the golden-egg-laying goose known as "Paid Recerts". In fact, though Higby has said several times that Recerts won't happen, I'll bet 10,000₩ that you can pay for Recerts within 6 months of launch.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

1) Is there a regen implant in PS2?
2) Your fight/regen times ratio was what? 0.04?
Old 2012-07-10, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

1. No implants have been confirmed yet other than the fact that there will be implants, and they are consumables this time that you have to keep rebuying.

2. Depends, on defense I could crouch and use it after every fight. It ate a lot of stamina though, so if I was pushing a base/tower I couldn't use it as often. I had 5 medpacks in my Rexo HA/AV loadout, and 6 in my Agile loadout without AV, I was well prepared to heal myself
Old 2012-07-10, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Redshift
Major

1. No implants have been confirmed yet other than the fact that there will be implants, and they are consumables this time that you have to keep rebuying.

2. Depends, on defense I could crouch and use it after every fight. It ate a lot of stamina though, so if I was pushing a base/tower I couldn't use it as often. I had 5 medpacks in my Rexo HA/AV loadout, and 6 in my Agile loadout without AV, I was well prepared to heal myself
Problem is you lost your flexibility, i used to use 6 med packs but only on fresh characters until i could grab med, 6 med packs means you have very limited ammo and probably no ace or cud. Plus you lost an implant slot and had a lot of downtime, all to save 3 cert points.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Problem is you lost your flexibility, i used to use 6 med packs but only on fresh characters until i could grab med, 6 med packs means you have very limited ammo and probably no ace or cud. Plus you lost an implant slot and had a lot of downtime, all to save 3 cert points.
Double kicked quite a bit of ass back in the day. I doubt its a problem for him.

Also to answer the OP's question: Because Matt Higby is gutless and wants to copy battlefield and CoD.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-07-10, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Agile had 2 ammo boxes with a CuD, Rexo had 3 and 2 boxes of ESAV ammo with a CuD. No aces cause I never had combat engy. I had ADV hack to easily restock, and again I mainly used it on defense so no extra down time. Only implant I would have maybe replaced it with was Audio Amp, but good situational awareness makes up for that.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Redshift
Major

Agile had 2 ammo boxes with a CuD, Rexo had 3 and 2 boxes of ESAV ammo with a CuD. No aces cause I never had combat engy. I had ADV hack to easily restock, and again I mainly used it on defense so no extra down time. Only implant I would have maybe replaced it with was Audio Amp, but good situational awareness makes up for that.
So you had to give up your deci in agile as well as the other stuff. I'm not saying you couldn't play like that, but it's obviously not an optimal set up.

It'll be the same in PS2, you'll be able to play without a medic, but you'll not be optimal by a long way
Old 2012-07-10, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Can't think of anything I would have given up for it at BR20. When it went up to 23 I would switch those points between Reaver/Fury or Sniping because I was just used to playing without it. Guess I'll just have to unoptimally keep topping the leader boards

But my original point still stands, HA class can do everything the PS1 "super soldiers" could do except heal/repair others. The only teamwork aspect of that build is removed because of the class system that is supposed to promote teamwork.

Last edited by DOUBLEXBAUGH; 2012-07-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
CheeZeX
Corporal

DOUBLE?
Old 2012-07-10, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Redshift
Major

But my original point still stands, HA class can do everything the PS1 "super soldiers" could do except heal/repair others. The only teamwork aspect of that build is removed because of the class system that is supposed to promote teamwork.
There was no teamwork in ps1 in that respect, unless you were doing Gen holds etc, you very rarely get people actually playing Med/rep only in ps1.

The Med in ps2 is going to be needed to keep a squad actually be rather than hiding away regenning, that's more teamwork than ps1 on a random squad level
Old 2012-07-11, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

In my opinion we are currently discussing the differing opinions of the Lone wolf style player vs a player playing Planetside 2 in a structured Outfit/squad with Roles dedicated to specific things.

Think of it this way,
  • If you are the sort of player that likes playing solo, running around on your own, relying on no one but yourself most of the time, then obviously you would want my hybridization.
  • If you plan on playing Planetside 2 the way I think it's meant to be played (sorry nVidia) then you will always be squaded, be in an Outfit, and would have a specific role to play, that's how it's always been done, even in Planetside (1).

When playing in structured Squads, the Medic is always the guy certed to Adv Medical, the Engineer repair guy is always the guy going full on Engineering, combat engineering, etc...

What you are complaining about is not being able to heal/repair yourself like a heavy could do in PS1, or a Light Assault, with a HA weapon, hot dropping the roof of a tower with a med applicator and repair kit in slots 1 and 3 and tower camping. (obviously there are other situations but this is the most common one that springs to mind)

They are cutting all that out, balancing the game in a way that you need to get to a terminal to switch out into whatever you need to be at the time. I for one find that to be a change for the best, and also think that we kind of already do that now in PS1, you just don't realise it (Look at your Favourites)

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions