How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you wish to pre-order Planetside: Core-Combat?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-10, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: How far will PS2 stray in terms of gameplay from modern FPSs?

Originally Posted by TeaLeaf View Post
I hope PS2 goes backwards 10 years in terms of gunplay with nearly 100% hipfire accuracy even while moving and low weapon damage. I'm actually deadly serious, modern FPS are so boring due to the lack of any real skill requirement.
Well, I deeply hope they do not :P
It's not exactly a tribes/quake style game. PS1 wasn't either.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Ivam Akorahil
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Regenerating health does make medics somewhat superfluous... but the rest is good. Squad spawning will be limited, but keep your team together. And the low TTK will make infantry combat FAR more fun than in PS1. Imagine it... you could be the first to push into an enemy base and actually be able to get a kill!
from what ive seen isnt it only the personal shield that regens? i didnt not spot hp regeneration in any video
Old 2012-07-10, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Ivam Akorahil View Post
from what ive seen isnt it only the personal shield that regens? i didnt not spot hp regeneration in any video
Check the example on the first page, there was health regen. However that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-10, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kezz View Post
Oh, and "TTK" is just a shorthand way of describing how toon robustness compares to firepower.
What does that mean exactly? And what do the letters stand for?

I'm hoping the health regeneration is there, but really, really slow. And even the really, really slow regen needs it's first cert.

They did mention at E3 that the characters had many certs opened up, so that may be why there was substantial health regen.

Edit:

I know PS2 will greatly surpass the FPS, partly due to my experience and understanding of PS1. So it will go way beyond the few things the poster mentioned, not just "stray". One thing comes to mind is missions. Eventually, we'll be able to create missions that reward experience to do things that are tactically necessary, that you can't necessarily influence people to do all the time. It's great if you're that top 10% leader who has charisma, magnetism and influence that can get many people follow you. But custom mission creation evens the playing field a bit more. Maybe the "zerg" want to take such-and-such a facility, but you realize that an adjacent sector has the resources that would really tip the scales of the battle. So what do we do in PS1? Scream "guys, guys, guys over here!" Just one simple mission could turn the tide of the battle somewhere else on the frontline with "just the right" amount and type of forces, without disrupting major battles and causing total loss.

Last edited by Timithos; 2012-07-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

TTK is shorthand for Time To Kill, or the time it takes to drop an enemy from start to finish. PS1 has rather long TTK made longer by the REXO buff (Agiles are dropped pretty quickly), whereas the modern fad favors lightning quick TTKs under a second (Call of Duty apparently has notoriously low TTK).

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-10, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Check the example on the first page, there was health regen. However that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Well, it could just be he wasn't using a loadout (new) that had an implant for health regen maybe? I'm curious now... and hope that there is NOT such an implant in PS2 final.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

looks like a cross of bad company 2 meets halo, kill times appear to be in bout the middle of the 2. bc2 had uber quick ttk halo is longer. so i think they probably have a happy medium established. it's basically a more modern fps and more polished version of planetside. the true test will be how effective sniping is and how tough HA will be to take down for the other classes. if they find a good happy medium on HA and vehicles it should be slightly above average ttk compared to other fps but still in the ballpark.
Old 2012-07-11, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

The health regen in the E3 vid was most likely something specific to hat build to help players out such as vehicles costing no resources and maxes being able to drive vehicles etc. People forget the E3 build was designed to show off the game and is not the actual build being used and that you have to take everything you see in it with a grain of salt.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

I hope health regen is not in, there was nothing more nerver racking than having a sliver of life in BF2 and trying to reach your medic or stay alive, then again when you had low health that meant you drew the short straw to run out first guns blazing or be a distraction so others could escape or flank.

To put it another way..

Health regen mitigates your emotional involvement in the game where you almost feel invicible or that you can just stop and be back to 100%, no pressure, no sweat.

When your injured and low health the blood starts pumping, you have to think differently about what to do next vs. being 100%.

This is one of the major flaws with BF3, they removed the emotional roller coaster the previous BF games had.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
OhFiddlesticks
Private

In Higby's most recent stream of Planetside 2, there was not health regen.
Old 2012-07-12, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

I get the impression that PS2 will be more like an arcade shooter or standard console like FPS, less like a game like Battlfield 3 in terms of when it comes down to aiming, shooting, bullet physics, etc.

Is that right, half-right or off entirely?

Last edited by Ninjacalypse; 2012-07-12 at 04:29 PM.
Old 2012-07-12, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Ninjacalypse View Post
I get the impression that PS2 will be more like an arcade shooter or standard console like FPS, less like a game like Battlfield 3 in terms of when it comes down to aiming, shooting, bullet physics, etc.

Is that right, half-right or off entirely?
The game will be more like BF3 when taking your comparison into account. PS2 has ADS and bullet physics. From what I've seen there won't be any hitscan weapons.
Will it share the other features that define modern FPS'? Who knows.
What do you mean by arcade shooter? Because that term makes me think of the old arcade games where you used a toy gun to shoot at the screen, or overhead shoot'em ups.

But in short we don't know how it's going to play, before we actually get to play it

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-12, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
The game will be more like BF3 when taking your comparison into account. PS2 has ADS and bullet physics. From what I've seen there won't be any hitscan weapons.
Will it share the other features that define modern FPS'? Who knows.
What do you mean by arcade shooter? Because that term makes me think of the old arcade games where you used a toy gun to shoot at the screen, or overhead shoot'em ups.

But in short we don't know how it's going to play, before we actually get to play it
When I say Arcade Shooter I mean something more along the lines of (albeit crappy) F2P games like WarRock, Combat Arms, Gunz and similar console games in that vein.

Whereas games like BF2/2142/3 require more precision accuracy than games like say Halo for instance which while fun undeniably requires a lot less skill to play.
Old 2012-07-13, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ninjacalypse View Post
When I say Arcade Shooter I mean something more along the lines of (albeit crappy) F2P games like WarRock, Combat Arms, Gunz and similar console games in that vein.

Whereas games like BF2/2142/3 require more precision accuracy than games like say Halo for instance which while fun undeniably requires a lot less skill to play.
Actually, I was just thinking that most of the weapons shown at E3 were pretty accurate, both ADS and from the hip. That makes it a lot less "spray-and-pray" than some other situations. Though I think their goal is to make it so customizable that you can have your "BF2/2142/BF3" experience while someone else can have their "Combat Arms/Gunz" experience.

Though having played BF2/2142/BF3, Halo and Combat Arms, I'm still not sure what you mean. Would you say that hardcore mode in BF3 "requires a lot less skill to play"? Because I get the impression that you believe accuracy is the only skill that matters.
Old 2012-07-13, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

No, of course accuracy isn't the only thing that matters and not every aspect of gameplay will rely on gun accuracy. It's more important for Infantry on the ground.

I'm just wondering how the game will play in that aspect, if things like accuracy, spread, recoil will be a major factor with infantry weapons.

As far as BF3 hardcore mode aka "Teamkill Mode" I rarely play it mostly because it's usually half or more of your team camping at spawn waiting for a jet/heli/mobile aa and then killing whoever gets one of them.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions