What are your reasons for disliking Battlefield 3? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey that mouseball excuse, it doesn't work anymore.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-07-29, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

What are your reasons for disliking Battlefield 3?

Note: This is not a hate thread. I just wanted to know why others dislike battlefield 3 whether it's from the game itself, or comparisions to other battlefield games.

My reasons:
1) Lock, fire, kill, repeat jet and chopper gameplay.
2) Quite small maps
3) Bugs
4) The broken promise of not charging for map packs.
5) Dat sun glare.
Old 2012-07-29, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: What are your reasons for disliking Battlefield 3?

One of the big reasons I've never mentioned is the stupid rank/unlock/reward system. It's the same cookie cutter one from every FPS ever made... at least BF2's was unique, and I really liked that one.

Ranks could take up to a month to get at the really high ranks. There was no linear attachment unlocks (very dumb) and you had a choice of what guns you wanted to unlock. The ribbons/pins/medals were so much more fleshed out and you felt so much better for earning them. You shouldn't have to grind out attachments just to get the one you want, that model is very flawed. You should have a choice when you rank up of a selection of guns to choose from, like BF2.

I also dislike BF3 because they condensed it into 4 classes. Why? There is so much more variety in BF2 because of the 7 classes and unique guns. You had Spec Ops, Assault, Sniper, Support, Engineer, Medic, and Anti-Tank. There were no 'one man army' classes. Engineers could repair vehicles and lay down mines, they had no direct way of taking out vehicles. They were the optimal driver class. Anti-Tank was the best at dishing out damage against vehicles, and they could not repair. I don't see why condensing these two into one deadly class could be considered a good idea.

Condensing Assault and Medic into one class doesn't make sense either. I don't see why the most efficient damage dealer should be able to revive and heal. You have a big assault rifle and a grenade launcher, you should be the footsoldier. Leave healing and reviving to the Medics.

Which leads me into regenerating health... fuck that. I hate that games do that now. A medic is just a convenience for when you don't feel like waiting for ten seconds to get back to full health. Wait, you got shot in the chest by a .50 cal rifle? Oh no worries, just go crouch in that bush over there... come on.

A less important point, but every game feels like it needs to do now, is scope sway. It's ridiculous, even without a bipod. You can hold a rifle steady without one, and you definitely can hold your breath for more than 5 seconds. BF2 did it perfectly, once again.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention squads. They brought it down from 6 to 4 people for no reason. The only one I could possible think of is they want 'bad company' squads where everyone is a different class. Stupid decision on DICE's part. Removing VOIP even more so.

Another one is the small and condensed maps, focused on infantry gameplay. Quit trying to draw in the COD crowd and focus on what your fans want. BF2 focused on vehicle warfare and combined arms; BF3 failed at it. BF2 had some great vehicle and infantry maps. Some off the top of my head; FuShe Pass, Dragon Valley, Kubra Dam, Dalian Plant, Daqing Oilfields, Zatar Wetlands, Operation Clean Sweep, Gulf of Oman, the list goes on and on. This isn't even mentioning the Armored Fury xpac.

What maps did BF3 do right for vehicle warfare? Uhh.... hmmm.... Caspian Border and Operation Firestorm are the only ones that are even close to comparing to BF2's maps, and even then, they are much more infantry focused than the maps listed above.

There is so much more I could talk about but I'd just end up ranting forever. I just had to take out my hate on this boring ass of a game. BF2 outshines it in every way-- wait;

BF3 did one thing better. OK? Graphics. There. That's all.

I can just hope PS2 doesn't end up with condensed classes and a flawed unlock system.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-07-29 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2012-07-29, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I actually managed to play an offline game of Battlefield 2 at a friends house for about 3 minutes and I really enjoyed it. I never actually knew it had unlocks. Do you know if people still play it online or if there is a singleplayer campaign?
Old 2012-07-29, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
I actually managed to play an offline game of Battlefield 2 at a friends house for about 3 minutes and I really enjoyed it. I never actually knew it had unlocks. Do you know if people still play it online or if there is a singleplayer campaign?
Yeah, plenty of people still play BF2 online.

And no, it doesn't have a single player campaign. Battlefield campaigns are bad and they should feel bad for making them.

You can practice on bots though.

And if you start playing, get the mod AIX. It makes skirmishing against bots SO DAMN FUN. Not even kidding. There's a multiplayer part of the mod but not too many people play it anymore from what I remember.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-07-29 at 12:59 PM.
Old 2012-07-29, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

The horrible spawn system is my biggest gripe. 1/3rd of all my deaths are easily instant deaths at spawn before i got past the black screen into the HUD/UI

Other thing is just games like that arnt my thing, I prefer persistant'ish games, instead of "ok this time you are russian for 20 mins" kinda games

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-07-29, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
AzureWatcher
Staff Sergeant

I don't dislike Battlefield 3. I do, however, dislike EA.

To be honest I prefer Battlefield 3 over BF2. It's definitely archaic, punkbuster's an ass, and the maps require too much running around and not enough playing.
Old 2012-07-29, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
atheistunicycle
Private

All of the DLC costing $50, with the weapons that come from it giving you an advantage over those who don't pay for them. I didn't pay for the DLC, and now I don't even bother playing.
Old 2012-07-30, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

The whole "he who has more unlocks wins" deal for one.

The input lag I was always getting that made it feel like I was playing over 56k

Lack of mechanics for team balancing that every fps should have.
Old 2012-07-30, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

EA is absolutely awful. They have been awful for over a decade though and progressively getting worse as the years go by.

I don't hate BF3 but I don't love it. BF2142 was my personal favorite. I honestly had ZERO complaints about BF2142.

DICE keeps nerfing and buffing weapons and vehicles based on how much the vocal 1% of BF3 players whine about it.

They have actually nerfed, buffed, then nerfed again or buffed, nerfed then buffed again...for the same thing. It makes no damn sense.

Then there's DICE saying "Screw it. Why should we do work?" and dumping everything to client side code, making BF3 the most hack-raped Battlefield game ever. Only in BF3 could you get killed by items like a medi-pack or an ammo kit by a player on the other side of the map because DICE couldn't even be bothered to do a client-side check much less a server-side check to make sure players aren't killed by things that are otherwise impossible to kill people with.

Their "anti-cheat" team is a running joke. There are known staff members from popular game hacking sites that troll the battlelog forums on a daily basis and they don't give a crap. They have been reported hundreds of times along with proof including screenshots and videos. Some players have even posted videos of themselves hacking on their own battlelog profiles and are still playing. That's how sad it is. You couldn't even email support, tell them you're hacking, asked to be banned and get banned.

BF3 isn't bad but...it's not great, it's not the ZOMG! Eye-bleedingly awesome game I was hoping for and it's definitely not the "True Successor" to BF2 as it was touted. And if BF4 is the "True Successor" to BF3, put me down for Arma 3 then. BF3 feels less like BF3 and more like every FPS I've played in the last 10 years.

Last edited by Ninjacalypse; 2012-07-30 at 02:17 AM.
Old 2012-07-30, 03:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

My list, in no particular order. It should also be noted that I do not dislike Battlefield 3 as a whole, this is just a list of things that I do not like.

1. Generally small maps with limited access to vehicles.
2. No commander.
3. Premium (While it is a good deal for those who for some reason wants all the DLC packs, I do not like the practice in general... At least it's not an annual fee)
4. Sun glare on some maps.
5. Metro....
6. Primarily designed for the console.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2012-07-30 at 09:01 AM.
Old 2012-07-30, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Canaris
Contributor
General

they keep going back to the same turgid pond of ideas, BF3 has nothing fresh about it and even game mechanics from BF2 that were just passable have been dumbed down in BF3, I can skim a jet plane *on* the water (not even above the water without it being sucked down as would happen in reality) and get head shots from hitting people.
Whoever designed most of that game should hang their heads in shame or preform Seppuku to appease me.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge