10 second respawn time - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude, where's my carbine?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-20, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
super pretendo
First Sergeant

10 second respawn time

I clocked it from the E3 video. I am happy to see there IS in fact any respawn time at all, but 10 seconds to come back doesn't seem like it makes death much of a consideration at all. Taking out someone doesn't seem to satisfying or even important, since they just pop right back out in a few seconds. What does everyone think?

I hope they make it something like 20 seconds. Not disruptive to people wanting to get back into the action, but it will make those same people think for a moment before rushing in headlong ad nauseam.

An alternative to a 20 second respawn time is a ticket system, where having many respawns has a negative effect on the player and/or faction that is constantly dying.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: 10 second respawn time

i Imagine galaxys as repsawn points wont be as common as AMS's meaning that people will meanly rely on fixed, base, tower or outpost spawns. depending on where the fighting is between these points it could take considerable time to get back to the fight if you don't squad spawn. 10s is acceptable.

also ticket system is open to exploits, a faction should not be punished because they have players been farmed.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-20, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

Death is its own penalty. It should be 15-20 second standard, but that has NOTHING to do with making people slow down, or think, or anything like that. And considering that the 10 second respawn is NOT for squad spawning, that means by default, there is a long runback every death. What beta needs to do is figure out how low we can get the squad spawn reuse timer, it should be as low as possible. If people want to play aggressively they should be allowed to. And if they want to play slow and cautiously that should be allowed too.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-20 at 10:57 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

Did you notice where they are respawning each time and the long counters for certain respawns? Also remember this was during a special E3 demo. I wouldn't trust anything until beta. That's when the actual testing and fine tuning will be happening with more players.
Old 2012-06-20, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
super pretendo
First Sergeant

that use of that alien guy meme in this situation doesn't even make sense. Apparently image + text does not equal comedy gold

Anyway, I know it could change, but I am wondering about the design direction in terms of this. Do we have reason to believe it will change?
Old 2012-06-20, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Did you notice where they are respawning each time and the long counters for certain respawns? Also remember this was during a special E3 demo. I wouldn't trust anything until beta. That's when the actual testing and fine tuning will be happening with more players.
Maybe you're thinking about the squad spawn?
Old 2012-06-20, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
This is when I will decide. But yea I think it should be decently long
Old 2012-06-20, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
AvacadoEight
First Sergeant

Aye, that and, if your team doesn't have a galaxy or a forwards respawn point, there's no way for them to get back into the base quickly. The E3 demo had those points because it needed to focus the action.

Once one side starts loosing, they'll feel it. Trust me. And with a 2-4 minute respawn timer for the Squad Spawn, plus the huge flaming drop pod coming from the sky should thwart a lot of that.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
super pretendo
First Sergeant

If people want to play aggressively they should be allowed to. And if they want to play slow and cautiously that should be allowed too.
But if there's no death penalty, playing cautiously is strictly inferior. It would favor a recklessly aggressive style and penalize a style that takes time for kills to get kills without dying. People should certainly be ALLOWED to play any way they want, but they don't need to be pandered to and should pay the normal cost of doing so. See what I am saying?
Old 2012-06-20, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Respawn should be long, but medic rez should be short. No huffing and puffing while I "get up" and then have 10 health and have to crawl away to regen (or whatever)

I always seem to be the "lead the charge" guy and so I die a lot while all the arseholes who care about k/d ratios dance around taking potshots and not taking ground or securing objectives.

1st priority: Complete objective.
2nd priority: Stay alive.

This is a team game remember.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Yeah, medic revive should be strictly superior to respawns, at least in terms of quickness
Old 2012-06-20, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Maybe you're thinking about the squad spawn?
Nah just pointing out that there is variable spawning different places. Squad spawning has its own, but there's no reason to say that during beta we won't see complex spawning mechanics based on where people spawn. As far as I can tell the little outposts people were spawning at were uncapturables that the developers placed in the game for each of the 3 factions.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Those spawn point seem to be capturable spawn points that add the the facilities capture. Also, 10 second respawn is just fine. With the size of the maps, distance back into the fight is punishment enough. Also, some people just suck but still want to play and some are casual gamers. These people would be put off from a high respawn timer. I think Battlefield 3 had it right (except squad spawn). 10 seconds is perfect.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
super pretendo
First Sergeant

"casual players might get hurt feelings" is not a valid argument. The only relevant arguments here is what respawn timer is optimal to make the strategy, tactics, kill/death satisfaction/aversion and flow of the game optimal. The game should be design with its high level of strategy motif in mind. Contradicting this to not alienate people who don't care about what makes the game unique is ludicrous

Last edited by super pretendo; 2012-06-20 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2012-06-20, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

More players = higher population = more money for SOE = longer game lifespan

If you want a game to go big, you have to make a couple concessions. The market demands it. I think a standard 10 second respawn timer is fair. It gets people back into action faster, accommodates the bulk of the shooter market, and doesn't jeopardize the game itself.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion