Grenades cost resources, which is a good thing - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We are all Giddy Little Monkeys awaiting Planetside
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-21, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: Grenades cost resources, which is a good thing

Originally Posted by maddoggg View Post
I like the idea of nades costing resourses as it would prevent the spam.
However i am not a big fan of the fact they look a little OP right now insta killing non max infantry :/
Yeah, I'm getting flashbacks of the Star Wars Battlefront II mission on the Tantiv IV. That's what happens when you let lots of guys get instagibbing grenades and put them in a hallway in front of your spawn point.
Old 2012-06-21, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Russ
Corporal

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Yeah, I'm getting flashbacks of the Star Wars Battlefront II mission on the Tantiv IV. That's what happens when you let lots of guys get instagibbing grenades and put them in a hallway in front of your spawn point.
Ahhh good times. But yes i like any idea that makes grenades more a thing of utility where you should only use it at the right moments.
Old 2012-06-21, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

If it hasn't been pointed out yet then the reason that charging for rockets is not equivalent to charging for vehicles is that vehicles are a one time cost that can last indefinitely while rockets are not guaranteed to work.

Reducing the damage rockets deal to infantry is a somewhat unfortunate but neat and necessary solution to the problem.
Old 2012-06-21, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Direct hits 1 shot light assault (like, it hit the guys face). Near misses do not appear to do anything to infantry. That's all I noticed during the E3 footage.
True. I suppose this is the best course. I had not considered the imbalance caused by rockets costing resource but repairs being free. I will yield my argument.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Sirisian
Colonel

Personally I'd prefer all non-stock weapons and upgrades to cost resources such that it forces players to actually customize their loadouts. The current sidegrade concept is a broken system limiting the usefulness of the resource system. It's very evident from the grenade and medkit decisions. The current system doesn't offer a resource sink. Also the idea of using resources to limit power is a fine line that must be tread carefully. I'd rather the grenade never one hit anyone. I guess it's more of a per-emptive balance opinion though. We'll see in beta how it works out or if it just feels like a cheap kill.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Personally I'd prefer all non-stock weapons and upgrades to cost resources such that it forces players to actually customize their loadouts. The current sidegrade concept is a broken system limiting the usefulness of the resource system. It's very evident from the grenade and medkit decisions. The current system doesn't offer a resource sink. Also the idea of using resources to limit power is a fine line that must be tread carefully. I'd rather the grenade never one hit anyone. I guess it's more of a per-emptive balance opinion though. We'll see in beta how it works out or if it just feels like a cheap kill.
I thought all side grades of anything cost resources? Like if i put a scope on my gun, my gun now costs me resources to spawn, if i put something on my tank, it now costs extra resources.

Or does that not happen with infantry weapons?

Because if it did, then that would have people either not upgrade their gun, thus they save resources but are at a slight disadvantage, or they choose to upgrade, but everytime they die, they lose resources so they will then be more careful about dying..
Old 2012-06-21, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
If it hasn't been pointed out yet then the reason that charging for rockets is not equivalent to charging for vehicles is that vehicles are a one time cost that can last indefinitely while rockets are not guaranteed to work.

Reducing the damage rockets deal to infantry is a somewhat unfortunate but neat and necessary solution to the problem.
Well it might just be the aoe thats toned down, a direct shot from a rocket still seems to (appropriately) leave a mark. From what I've seen so far it looks like holding any room of smallish size isn't going to be a fun picnic; "oh yes this is a delicious pb and j sandwich, please pass the champag- AH! 50 grenades!"
Old 2012-06-21, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I thought all side grades of anything cost resources? Like if i put a scope on my gun, my gun now costs me resources to spawn, if i put something on my tank, it now costs extra resources.

Because if it did, then that would have people either not upgrade their gun, thus they save resources but are at a slight disadvantage, or they choose to upgrade, but everytime they die, they lose resources so they will then be more careful about dying..
double post sadness, but it seems appropriate that this would be the case. If someone decided to go primarily infantry then grenades and medpacks probably wont be enough to drain the resources he is earning. I think the perfect balance would be for infantry resource costs to somehow balance with vehicle resource costs, since some players primarily play vehicles and others primarily infantry. Thoughts?
Old 2012-06-21, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Zar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AzK View Post
No thanks, nades and medikit costing resources is already bullshit enough. I can understand vehicles since they can last indefinitely, but that's about it.

The way i would have sorted medikits and nades from being spammed would have been a) add a short cooldown or b)make it so the only way to replenish them is at a terminal and not via ammo boxes.
nah im all for people shooting *BULLETS* in a first person *SHOOTER* making nades *cost* something means you will choose to use it like if you see 5 people in a room. room clearing is a good use of nades and i approve but most people just like to go *LAWL* nades and chuck them every where lowering the fun of any game.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
AzK
Sergeant

No resource sinks? Higby said it will take years for players to unlock everything and by that time they will have added more stuff, besides, spawning vehicles is a pretty big (and endless) sink, not to mention the nade and medpack ones which i hope they make free.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
super pretendo
First Sergeant

the more resources are stretched the better. Makes fighting for them all the more fierce
Old 2012-06-21, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
There is no convincing argument to make nade and medpack free.
Actually there are, and i already made them in previous replies.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Yeah the last we heard is that infantry weapon upgrades don't cost anything. So none of the certs have a cost to them.

Vehicle weapons apparently still have a cost which is good, but it's odd for someone that only grunts and builds up huge amounts of resources because all they spend it on are grenades and medkits. Their resource system isn't really allowing customization for each play style.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zar View Post
nah im all for people shooting *BULLETS* in a first person *SHOOTER* making nades *cost* something means you will choose to use it like if you see 5 people in a room. room clearing is a good use of nades and i approve but most people just like to go *LAWL* nades and chuck them every where lowering the fun of any game.
People wouldn't go "lawl" regardless because 1) nades would be limited to 1-3 per spawn 2) the only way to refill would be to go back to a spawn point.

The only reason people go "lawl" in games like bf3 is that they get refills by ammo packs, because there's nothing like an equipment terminal mechanic there.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
AzK
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Yeah the last we heard is that infantry weapon upgrades don't cost anything. So none of the certs have a cost to them.

Vehicle weapons apparently still have a cost which is good, but it's odd for someone that only grunts and builds up huge amounts of resources because all they spend it on are grenades and medkits. Their resource system isn't really allowing customization for each play style.
Mh who said this? As of e3 weapons and their upgrades still had personal resource OR station cash costs in the menus. So yeah you can avoid spending personal resource on them and their upgrades if you use real money instead so you can spend ingame resources on vehicle spawning, nades, and medikits instead, since those can't be bought with station cash for now, nevertheless, weapons and their upgrades do have costs.

Last edited by AzK; 2012-06-21 at 05:01 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion