Weight and Feel - e3 content discussion - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A psu a day keeps the trolls away
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-06-07, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Weight and Feel - e3 content discussion

The weight and sound design on many of the classes/weapons feel too light/weak in my opinion. MAX unit animations and weapons come across very weighty and grounded, really enjoy the perspective of the max unit so far through the stream. All the other classes so far really move around their weapons a ton, sound effects are much weaker, and general animations just seem a little too chaotic. I could see a infiltrator being very agile with his weapons and equipment since he's basically in a skin tight outfit. But for a heavy or light assault to be juking and jiving with heavy equipment is a little unbelievable. Jetpack would help for lift but it still is a full size adult coming down, need some momentum to continue through I feel to really sell the device he's wearing.

None of it is final, but it is clear you guys made a effort to make the MAX feel weighty and powerful. I'm just curious why other classes couldn't feel like their carrying 20 to 30 pound weapons + another 50 pounds of power armor. Some pistols seem heavier just through animations and sound design than some of these assault rifles that are being used. I stress that I love the MAX animations and sound design, I assume they went in last based on TBs max videos and completion timeframe.

I hate COD in its current form, largely due to the ridiculous animation speeds and just general speed. Watching someone play COD is like watching some real world infantry sped up to such a degree that it is comical rather than believable. No beauty in the actions on screen, they're just filler to notify the player when he is reloading or sprinting.

Best example of this is a tr with a drum magazine, he releases the clip like it has the same weight of a standard clip but they just wait for time to pass rather than having the gun get into a position that assists the insertion of a large drum magazine.

MAX looks and feels fantastic, get those assault rifles feeling weighty and it will be awesome!

Bonus Discussion - Turret Rotation Speed/Responsiveness

There are pretty much two schools of thought with turrets, the mouse maintains the same speed/feel as infantry aim. Or you could make the turrets feel like you're interfacing through a x-axis/y-axis that maintains some mechanical limitations on rotation speed/feel. How do you like turrets to feel in your games?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion