Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We make counterfeit pennies.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-14, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread.

Reaver

Mosquito

Scythe

Liberator

Galaxy

Sunderer

Magrider

(will update as it goes)

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2012-06-01 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sifer2
Major

Re: Cockpit and Driver View comparison thread.

They look really cool. They probably would not have put so much effort into it if it wasn't for them not allowing third person on most vehicles. I'm glad they went this way since I would prefer the full immersion this will deliver. Seems like if you still own a Joystick it will get some use.
Old 2012-05-14, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Hell, i'm gonna have to go out and buy a brand new multi-hundred dollar one!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-14, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
PeteHMB
Sergeant

I hope there's a way to turn that off...
Old 2012-05-14, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
I hope there's a way to turn that off...
That's a negative, ghost rider. Sorry, this ain't BF3.
Old 2012-05-14, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
CutterJohn
Colonel

Going to miss 3rd person driving so much.. Gah. Thats a serious buzzkill. Theres a reason 95% of games featuring vehicle combat have it.

Oh well. At least the tanks realized cameras work, and theres no need for a clear glass cockpit.

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
That's a negative, ghost rider. Sorry, this ain't BF3.

I like how you say that like PS1 didn't allow it either.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I like how you say that like PS1 didn't allow it either.

Theres a reason 95% of games featuring vehicle combat have it.

It didn't allow it because it wasn't made in the first place. This is a new game and it's taking a lot of mechanics from BF3. Fortunately, toggleable cockpits is not one of them.

What is that reason, if I may ask?
Old 2012-05-14, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

It didn't allow it because it wasn't made in the first place. This is a new game and it's taking a lot of mechanics from BF3. Fortunately, toggleable cockpits is not one of them.
Unfortunately. The fact that you feel it would be a balance issue if they were toggleable proves they are far too restrictive. Betcha you still don't care about the balance issue of someone having 3 monitors. Advantages you can pay for are fine.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Toppopia
Major

Going to miss 3rd person driving so much.. Gah. Thats a serious buzzkill. Theres a reason 95% of games featuring vehicle combat have it
I would love to hear your reasoning why 3rd person is good in vehicles.

But seriously, I like being forced 1st person because then now it's easier to sneak up on vehicles without them magically seeing me and killing me, and it means you have to keep a sharp eye around you to make sure you don't get snuck up on or have teammates watching your back.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zulthus
Colonel

Unfortunately. The fact that you feel it would be a balance issue if they were toggleable proves they are far too restrictive. Betcha you still don't care about the balance issue of someone having 3 monitors. Advantages you can pay for are fine.
It doesn't mean they're too restrictive if they are toggleable... but if they were, there just is simply no point in making cockpits in the first place since people take any sort of advantage they can get. No one would use them.

Admittedly I don't care about the three monitor thing anymore... that was kind of stupid.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
cellinaire
Captain

Hmm, I don't mind if it's forced or toggleable. But I also had to wonder,

does the 'toggleable' option give a specific faction some noticeable advantage? Why? It's not even like giving VS weaponry 10% damage boost or something like it.

I mean, toggleable or forced, it affects all players. Why would it create such a balance issue?

(** and no, I'm not talking about the '1st person with cockpit / 1st person without cockpit' here. It's actually about the '1st person with cockpit / 3rd person')

Last edited by cellinaire; 2012-05-14 at 11:38 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
I mean, toggleable or forced, it affects all players. Why would it create such a balance issue?
It's not so much a balance issue as it is a practicality issue. You obviously have an advantage when you don't use the cockpit, or use a third person view of the vehicle. So naturally, most people are going to play the game that way. Why have cockpits at all if you make them able to be turned off?
Old 2012-05-14, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
Hmm, I don't mind if it's forced or toggleable. But I also had to wonder,

does the 'toggleable' option give a specific faction some noticeable advantage? Why? It's not even like giving VS weaponry 10% damage boost or something like it.

It lets you see more than you realistically could. I wouldn't care about it if there wasn't a cockpit option. But they're wasting resources on cockpits if they don't force them. If you could see more without a cockpit, would you use it? No one would. Keeping the cockpit forced creates a perfectly even playing field.

Just noticed your edit there, you can't aim in third person so it's fine. You can use it for navigating but that's all it's useful for.

And Cutter, you can still fly in third person, but good like trying to kill anything in that mode.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-05-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
cellinaire
Captain

It lets you see more than you realistically could. I wouldn't care about it if there wasn't a cockpit option. But they're wasting resources on cockpits if they don't force them. If you could see more without a cockpit, would you use it? No one would. Keeping the cockpit forced creates a perfectly even playing field.

Just noticed your edit there, you can't aim in third person so it's fine. You can use it for navigating but that's all it's useful for.

And Cutter, you can still fly in third person, but good like trying to kill anything in that mode.
Hehe got that. And sorry guys for the 'edit' part of my post. It was several minutes late.

(one thing more. I know they confirmed for now that ground vehicles are not allowed to have 3rd person view. What would it mean if some tanks get grounded when they were marching through thick forest area or very rocky terrain?)

Last edited by cellinaire; 2012-05-14 at 11:47 PM.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
CutterJohn
Colonel

What is that reason, if I may ask?
Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I would love to hear your reasoning why 3rd person is good in vehicles.
It avoids the issues of tunnel vision and screen shake.

Try driving your car with no mirrors, side, or rear windows, and 1/4 of the windshield painted over. Thats what driving in a game is like. Can you imagine trying to navigate a crowded courtyard with no third person? 0_o

And they always bolt the camera to the frame, and you get to experience every single bounce and jiggle, even though your neck and eyes would compensate for this irl, maintaining far smoother vision. 3rd person tends to be far smoother, and they just bounce the vehicle in your view, not the camera itself.

Infantry don't have these issues. Their 'ride' is always perfectly smooth, and while they still have tunnel vision, they can flip around instantly to have a look in other directions.

It doesn't mean they're too restrictive if they are toggleable... but if they were, there just is simply no point in making cockpits in the first place since people take any sort of advantage they can get. No one would use them.

No. People who enjoyed them would use them. Would you disable weapon models if you could? I wouldn't. They aren't restrictive enough to worry about.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-14 at 11:52 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion