Thrustpad [Jump Pad] Poll - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of: Original Chainsaw Knife.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Jump Pads (as seen)?
Yes 105 56.45%
No 81 43.55%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Atheosim
Captain

Re: Jump Pad Poll

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Halo Rip off IMO...Could work tho.
lol wtf? Halo wasn't the first to do almost anything.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Lets avoid generalizations, especially the adaptive abilities of vets.

-Note the poll is currently in favor of mancannons-
Good point "Every generalization is wrong, including this one". -Mark Twain

Also, this would be the first poll to break the trend....finally.

Old 2012-05-17, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Stardouser
Colonel

But seriously, on IRC I often crack jokes, like I would say, we need circus cannons that shoot players, and that we need flashbang mortar rounds...well, we got the circus cannons that shoot players...where is my mortar with flashbang ammo?
Old 2012-05-17, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
From a gameplay perspective, I like them a lot. They are a great idea for getting people around these new gigantic bases. As has already been mentioned in several places, they are a lot like the ziplines from the caves in PS1, but they are a lot more elegant.

From an aesthetic point of view, I don't really like them too much. A little bit too much of an Unreal Tournament kind of arcade shooter style IMO.

I think if they did something to make them slightly less arcade like, such as putting an activation button that you have to press to actually catapult yourself with them, it would probably help a lot.

Maybe change their visual slightly as well, such as enclosing them so that they are slightly more like a covered archway, like a little acceleration tube that grabs you and thrusts you forward from all around you.

The aesthetic side certainly can be tweaked, but I definitely think it will be a good contribution to base fights as far as gameplay goes. So on that note, I vote yes.

Not so much "as seen" from a visual perspective, but more "as seen" from a gameplay perspective.
Yeah, I agree. I can be okay with them being in the game if they didn't look like they were ripped straight out of quake 3. Aside from the gameplay elements that I don't like, the aesthetic elements are definitely the fence breaker.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Ha. Ha ha. Thank you Gray. Are you going to be playing on the west coast?
East Coast.

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
From a gameplay perspective, I like them a lot. They are a great idea for getting people around these new gigantic bases. As has already been mentioned in several places, they are a lot like the ziplines from the caves in PS1, but they are a lot more elegant.

From an aesthetic point of view, I don't really like them too much. A little bit too much of an Unreal Tournament kind of arcade shooter style IMO.

I think if they did something to make them slightly less arcade like, such as putting an activation button that you have to press to actually catapult yourself with them, it would probably help a lot.

Maybe change their visual slightly as well, such as enclosing them so that they are slightly more like a covered archway, like a little acceleration tube that grabs you and thrusts you forward from all around you.

The aesthetic side certainly can be tweaked, but I definitely think it will be a good contribution to base fights as far as gameplay goes. So on that note, I vote yes.

Not so much "as seen" from a visual perspective, but more "as seen" from a gameplay perspective.

An activation button would decrease the chance of accidents and make the space it takes up irrelevant as well as avoid swarms of people jumping over instantly but rather in waves of 1-3.

I also think that placement and aesthetic changes would make it 'fit' with the surroundings better.

Maybe make it look like one of those hot wheels things or w.e on TV. Something that actually looks like it's going to launch you.

If SOE makes it look and feel really cool. It will be pretty cool. IMO.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Dreamcast
Major

lol wtf? Halo wasn't the first to do almost anything.
Let me guess...You hate halo because is one of the best games according to a mass majority of people?....Halo did a lot of good things and jump pads are a halo thing.

Was halo the first to do it?(was it tribes?)...probably not but since is one of the most popular games, is associated with it.

I bet if/when planetside 2 becomes too mainstream for u..Ur gonna talk smack about it and say how planetside 1 was way better.

Your the typical elitist.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
An activation button would decrease the chance of accidents.
Jump pad "accidents" + ragdoll physics = youtube gold

Old 2012-05-17, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Kythas
Private

They irked me when I first saw them, but I agree with the calmer minds here. We need to play the game before we start burning the Devs at the stake.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Atheosim
Captain

Let me guess...You hate halo because is one of the best games according to a mass majority of people?....Halo did a lot of good things and jump pads are a halo thing.

Was halo the first to do it?(was it tribes?)...probably not but since is one of the most popular games, is associated with it.

I bet if/when planetside 2 becomes too mainstream for u..Ur gonna talk smack about it and say how planetside 1 was way better.

Your the typical elitist.
Enough with the flaming. I'm not the typical elitist, I'm the typical I hate Thomas Edison and Steve Jobs. Also I don't have much of an opinion on halo because I only played the first 2.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
You want to talk about silly? I've got 1 word for you: Nanites. It's sci-fi. It's always a fine line there when you start talking about what's silly or not.

Plus "silly" is as subjective as "fun".

My point still stands. Every...single...time...something new gets introduced, most of the vets here are against it right off the bat. I don't mean to imply that everything new is great. I'm merely pointing out this community is not a fan of any minor change at all.
I haven't seen anyone against the idea of quickly traveling between the buttresses. People are against how they its being implemented. If they had done it in a sensible way (Which they could still do, Alpha and all) I'd doubt there would be that much of a conversation over it at all.
Being flung like a human cannon is, to me, ugly and does not fit in with the Planetside style at all. Planetside is sensible sci-fi, not silly sci-fi.

Last edited by Vash02; 2012-05-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dreamcast
Major

Enough with the flaming. I'm not the typical elitist, I'm the typical I hate Thomas Edison and Steve Jobs. Also I don't have much of an opinion on halo because I only played the first 2.
Steve jobs and Thomas edison were great men.

The first halo was the best.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
I haven't seen anyone against the idea of quickly traveling between the buttresses. People are against how they its being implemented. If they had done it in a sensible way I'd doubt there would be that much of a conversation over it at all.
Being flung like a human cannon is, to me, ugly and does not fit in with the Planetside style at all. Planetside is sensible sci-fi, not silly sci-fi.
It's far less "ugly" than magically floating along a beam of light which has been "Planetside style" for years.

Also, there have been some people arguing against fast travel like this, though they are few and far between. I still like it far better than teleporters because you are exposed to enemy fire which gives a cost to the fast travel.

Old 2012-05-17, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

voted yes.
As long as they are used in-base as a one-way method of moving from one defensible point to the next then its ok. Ladders are terrible ideas in FPS', lifts don't work and teleport pads are easily abused.

Jump pads at least provide the enemy with a chance to counter-attack.

The point at which I would have a problem is if they became a go-to option for general movement.
Letting defenders man the walls or get a better angle on the attacking force is one thing, jump-pad hopping around/up the walls of a base to avoid return fire is something else.

Could be balanced by slowing down the rate of movement while on the pad and only allowing certain key-points within a base to have pads.

Graywolves
An activation button would decrease the chance of accidents and make the space it takes up irrelevant as well as avoid swarms of people jumping over instantly but rather in waves of 1-3.

I also think that placement and aesthetic changes would make it 'fit' with the surroundings better.

Maybe make it look like one of those hot wheels things or w.e on TV. Something that actually looks like it's going to launch you.

If SOE makes it look and feel really cool. It will be pretty cool. IMO.
This.

P.S.
For those moaning about the science, PS1 allowed for any type of infantry to jump out of any air vehicle at any height and land without taking any falling damage. Pretend the jump-pads have the same mechanism.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Atheosim
Captain

Steve jobs and Thomas edison were great men.

The first halo was the best.
They were miniscule specs compared to the vast and incomprehensible genius of men like Nikolai Tesla.
Old 2012-05-17, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Dreamcast
Major

They were miniscule specs compared to the vast and incomprehensible genius of men like Nikolai Tesla.
So hate them because they weren't as good as somebody else even though they accomplished some what a lot...WTF? is wrong with u?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion