The PS2 Community by time E3 is over - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got lead pipe. Any knees need breaking?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-17, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

The PS2 Community by time E3 is over

I don't think i have ever seen such a difference in vet to new player ratio for any game I have ever followed. This will be interesting. As you can see from the latest video on the game many people have no knowledge on this series. So go easy on them and lets try to be as helpful as possible!
Old 2012-05-17, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Atheosim
Captain

Re: The PS2 Community by time E3 is over

Yeah I agree. It'll be extremely easy to flame those who think that this is a BF3 clone or that it's just a Halo ripoff mmo or whathaveyou, but that type of behavior needs to be avoided.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AgtPanda
Private

I'm sort of new to Planetside--in fact I've only played PS1 for a total of maybe 24 hours--but I'm looking forward to Planetside 2.

Hopefully the new players won't be too annoying, and the FPS fanboys don't start a flamewar.
Old 2012-05-17, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Yeah I agree. It'll be extremely easy to flame those who think that this is a BF3 clone or that it's just a Halo ripoff mmo or whathaveyou, but that type of behavior needs to be avoided.
Couldn't agree more, I was reading all the comments in TB youtube night ops video and its nice to see all these people that have never heard of the game be blown away and instantly pumped for something they no nothing about.
Old 2012-05-17, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rainfur
Corporal

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Couldn't agree more, I was reading all the comments in TB youtube night ops video and its nice to see all these people that have never heard of the game be blown away and instantly pumped for something they no nothing about.
Yeah. It should be an epic game based on the footage. I just hope I can run it. :P
Old 2012-05-17, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

No offense, but I do a little research before commenting something stupid like "hurr this is bf3 lol xd LE REdit le xd" on youtube. Others should do the same.
Old 2012-05-17, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No offense, but I do a little research before commenting something stupid like "hurr this is bf3 lol xd LE REdit le xd" on youtube. Others should do the same.
Stupid people make for good targets, why drive them away from the game?
Old 2012-05-18, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sirisian
Colonel

I think I understand where you're going with this, but Hamma said he won't disable forum registration to keep the community pure.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
kertvon
Sergeant

It will be a lot of FPS players' introduction to true mass scale TEAM gameplay. If the devs get the mechanics right, I think it will sink in really quick that "lone wolfling" in PS2 will be failure waiting to happen. Hopefully we can breathe a sigh of relief that we have an FPS that focuses on something other than being MOTS. In Planetside effectively playing your role for the greater good of your squad/outfit/empire > individual skill.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

In a true Planetside experience Teamwork and planning will always win over lone wolf zerging players. But the nice thing about Planetside is having those zerg players doesn't ruin the game for those who want to go deeper.

I always felt having the zerg made PS1 fun because I felt more important for doing what I did. Being in an outfit and coordinating your tactics made you feel like a special operations unit working outside of the main battle. The zerg swarm will draw the battle lines and The Coordinated outfits will carve through the stalemate.

Just because hundreds of people are rushing like lemmings into the fight. Spawn. Run forward. Shoot. Die. Repeat. That doesn't mean you can't use teamwork yourself. Just show up with 30 coordinated MAXs and show those fools what it means to play Planetside.
Old 2012-05-18, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

it will be very hard to not flame brainless asshats away, but we will have to bite our tongues ;-)

you know, those "just another halo clone. soe never learns" commenters just deserve a face to face with firefly... but we as a community have to represent something by now. higby is talking about the great community in every interview so we have to keep up with this! just lately we showed how bad we can be, when this poor interviewers connection broke during the streamed interview. radar mentioned that some of the comments were disappointing.

so let´s welcome all the new unsuspecting players. even the stupid ones. let´s just make sure the most stupid ones go where they belong... to the VS!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-18, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
so let´s welcome all the new unsuspecting players. even the stupid ones. let´s just make sure the most stupid ones go where they belong... to the VS!
I don't think the new ugly ass armor will be enough to dissuade the lowest common denominator from going where they always have gone. The NC!

I think the new members won't be too big a problem, as long as we all manage to try and keep our cool. If they come in spouting stupid shit, but clearly just don't know better, we can counter with facts and well reasoned posts. If they are just trolling, there is no reason for them not to get banned.

It will be fine.

Besides, PSU never has been and never will be the official Planetside forums (just the official unofficial Planetside forums). Most of the masses will tend to gravitate first towards the official Planetside 2 forums once those go live. It will tend to be players who are more interested in the community and depth of the game that will most often seek PSU out, so this site shouldn't see too much asshattery, relatively speaking.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mezorin
Corporal

We might get some herpaderp trolls turn up, but I think we should roll out the welcome wagon to all the new blood that will turn up both after E3 and after the open beta launches. Maybe with a "Welcome new people!" thread of some kind. If somebody takes the time to join up PSU, they are obviously interested in the game and community enough to be welcomed I think.

Not everyone who plays BF3 or COD will be a moron either, there will be many high tier players who with a little instruction of how PS2 works could fit right into a good outfit here. Rather than being all "you suck cause you played such and such and like such and such and are a noob" we should be "Welcome to the party, things work a bit different but you'll love it here."
Old 2012-05-18, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Mezorin View Post
Not everyone who plays BF3 or COD will be a moron either, there will be many high tier players who with a little instruction of how PS2 works could fit right into a good outfit here. Rather than being all "you suck cause you played such and such and like such and such and are a noob" we should be "Welcome to the party, things work a bit different but you'll love it here."
There is heaps of people that play BF3 or MW3 with tactics and teamwork, those people are rare but there are some out there.... we know you're there so show yourself!!
Old 2012-05-18, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Not to mention countless people that are PS vets on here posting probably play BF3 and/or CoD too. lol.

I Like CoD for what it is but it's nowhere near my favorite game. I prestiged once in Black ops and never in MW3 cause i never play it.

I LOVE BF3 I play all the time. great game. Planetside is a different animal I love for different reasons. I love it more too but thats besides the point.

It's true though tons of people who have never played the old game will see this game and jump right into outfits and be tactical. People who haven't experienced it yet cant be judged!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion