Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU: Do NOT include PSU part in quotes. Oops.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-29, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1?

When Planetside 2 first Launched, I was kind of dispointed with the lack of content.

I mean it only launched with 3 continents,very few vehicles, and just lacked small things like VR, and even super small things like a lot of unique music for everything like in Planetside 1.

Still I understood that they probably need $ bad since beta only took around 3-4 months.

However I was expecting a lot of big updates adding content like a lot of new continents and vehicles.

I mean Hossin, is on the unknown list on when is suppose to Launch...Nevermind is suppose to Launch in September, that is still 1 continent per year.

If it Launches this year, thats going to be 1 Continent per year.....I mean SRSLY? Thats a horrible rate IMO.

Not to mention the fact that they only added 1 vehicle so far.

With the declining of the player base, I just don't see them wasting resources on adding new continents/other big content 3 years from now.

I mean right now, at the point of the game being A couple of months old, they arn't really adding content.......They will be less motivated when they arn't enough customers.

I guess it will never reach the content of Planetside 1 sadly.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2013-05-29 at 06:40 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Is Planetside 2 ever going to have as much Content as Planetside 1?

I honestly think that new content is the last thing they need to work on right now. They should just keep polishing the content they already have.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
HiroshiChugi
Captain

They do need to polish current content, yes; but they also need to work on adding the new vehicles and the new continents. No more guns, no more camos. no helmets, and no more weapons. New vehicles and new continents! The more more they have out, the better.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Since when is having more music a super small thing?
You also don't know that we will only be seeing one continent per year. Just because we might not be seeing other continents added in this year, except for Hossin. Doesn't mean that, that is going to be the norm.

Will PS2 ever exeed PS1 in the amount of content? Well first off I would claim that quality beats quantity, which is what I think they should be focusing on more at this point. Secondly, yes it probably will given enough time.
Adding in new vehicles isn't going to be that easy though, seeing as they made the ones we have now so versatile in nature.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-29, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Sunrock
Major

A new online game will always have less content then a 10 year old one. There is no sane person in the world that would release a new game with 10+ years of content. You can never justify that on any economical point of view. If any one tried they would have to file for bankruptcy the day after.

Having that sad I think the devs focus too mush of "fixing" things after they release a new game rather then concentrate on putting in new stuff.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Artimus
Master Sergeant

The way I look at it is this first year of the games release was a learning expeirence for SOE. Triple A shooter style gameplay on the massive scale they do it on is an undertaking by anyones standards. I give them a pat on the back for addressing major issues and listening to the community for the most part. I bet this next year will go alot smoother now that they got MOST of the kinks worked out.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Koadster
Sergeant Major

So if a new MMO comes out.. Will it ever have as much content as WoW? < this kind of arguement.

Now I would say on the ground, PS2 has more content. PS1 had 20 weapons total across all factions? Sure there was more vehicles but they had set weapons. A Harasser with the Marauder becomes a Marauder style vehicle. So vehicle wise including cert upgrades you can make even more vehicles and with a new ES vehicle coming too there will be plently of ground content.

Continent wise, we know of 5 (Indar, Assmir, Amerish, Searhaus, Hossin) and PS1 style battle islands (MLG islands)

They have added more music into PS2 now, notice the new loading screen PS1 music esche songs?

I mean right now, at the point of the game being A couple of months old, they arn't really adding content.......They will be less motivated when they arn't enough customers.
Go look at release videos, they have added alot and with roadmap updated to Nov now. There is alot of content.

Be happy we dont have to pay $15 for 4 tiny ass maps....

Pointless thread?

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR

Last edited by Koadster; 2013-05-29 at 07:27 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
A new online game will always have less content then a 10 year old one. There is no sane person in the world that would release a new game with 10+ years of content. You can never justify that on any economical point of view. If any one tried they would have to file for bankruptcy the day after.

Having that sad I think the devs focus too mush of "fixing" things after they release a new game rather then concentrate on putting in new stuff.
Except Sunrock, Planetside 1 launched with 10 continents and within a year had another 7 caves added and was essentially finished.

The key difference is that PS1 had much longer in gestation than PS2. PS2 seems to have had around 2 years including the PS Next phase, which was afaik a brainstorming and scoping phase.

When ps2 launched SOE said they had a 3 year development schedule mapped out (loosly mapped out). I was encouraged by this but I didn't realised they meant that the main game was unfinished.

I too worry about additional continents and whether the expense will be justified, but the glacial pace of new continent creation is my major worry. How many years will it take to get to 10?

(5 continents will be necessary for grand warfare, 7 would be better but 9-10 with 6 home continents and 3-4 as borderlands would be ideal)
Old 2013-05-29, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
psijaka
Contributor
Major

There is no point in rushing out new continents before fundamental gameplay issues such as the Lattice are sorted out; would be counterproductive as they would then have to waste a lot of time changing the new continent after release.

Patience. I'm sure that new continents will be rolled out quite quickly once we get past the "teething trouble" stage.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-05-29 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Agreed 100%. There's a very fine line when things don't need to be tweaked, changed completely, etc. A new addition like Hossin would alleviate a lot of the complaints on certain aspects of the game.
There comes a point where you accept a game for what it is, and I think we're past that point now for PS2. It definitely can improve, it will improve, but it's not bad enough now to continually push back real content additions.

Take a look at any MMO out there that has released expansions. Active players continually drop up until the expansion releases and then it spikes up *some*. By pushing back the expansion, they lose more and more players that they essentially don't regain. There's only one thing that PS2 needs to survive and that's a large player base. World domination games are boring when there's no one to fight against consistently.

I can accept that Hossin is not coming out until after September, but I will not accept Searhus releasing until a year after that. The timeline has to be pushed up.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
psijaka
Contributor
Major

In answer to the OP question; yes.

Take a look at what is planned (from calista's roadmap thread)

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
Good stuff being pushed out. Kinda sad.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ms/roadmap.59/

What appear to be new items:
  • Improved Introduction for New Players - Scheduled for July
  • Improved Death Screen - Scheduled for August
  • Additional Alert Types - Scheduled for June
  • Streamline Terminal/Loadout UI - Scheduled for June
  • Minimap and HUD Indicator Customization - Scheduled for June
  • Customizable Squad Colors - Scheduled for June
  • Squad and Platoon Management Improvements - Scheduled for June
  • Additional Loadouts - Scheduled for June

Existing Changes
  • Hossin - Scheduled for September
  • Continent Locking - Scheduled for November
  • Re-Certification - Scheduled for October
  • Vehicle Zoning - Scheduled for November
  • Cert Screen Revamp - Scheduled for August
  • Voice Packs - Scheduled for October
  • Galaxy Update - Scheduled for August
  • Engineer Update - Scheduled for November
  • Server Transfer Token - Scheduled for June
  • Faction Pistols - Scheduled for October
  • Player Made Decals / Player Studio - July
  • Vehicle Cosmetic Slots - GU11 / June
  • MAX Flamethrowers - Scheduled for July
  • Outfit Recruiting - Scheduled for July
  • Per Seat Vehicle Locking - Scheduled for July
  • Outfit Base Capture - Scheduled for August
  • Improved Vehicle Deconstruction - Scheduled for July
  • Resource Revamp - August
  • Outfit Progression - Scheduled for September
  • Implants - Scheduled for July
  • Community Grief Reporting - Scheduled for June
  • Interlink Facility - Scheduled for September
  • Player Generated Missions - Scheduled for August
  • Class Update: Combat Medic - Scheduled for September
  • Name Change Token - Scheduled for November
  • Esamir Battle Flow Improvements - Scheduled for June (these were shown on FNO last week)
  • Amerish Battle Flow Improvements - Scheduled for July

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-05-29 at 07:47 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Well yeah I feel at the current rate we are going at it's gonna be a really slow process to catch up PS1 in number of continents/vehicles. We do have more guns but many of them are very similar in the way they look and sound

The only thing I really want right now is more continents so we can finally wage war on intercontinental scale, it just feels that it's gonna be like +1-2 years in the future though at this rate
Old 2013-05-29, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
ringring
Contributor
General

We've got 50 gazillions guns. Great. We'll get 50 gazillion more! Great.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Koadster View Post
So if a new MMO comes out.. Will it ever have as much content as WoW? < this kind of arguement.

Now I would say on the ground, PS2 has more content. PS1 had 20 weapons total across all factions? Sure there was more vehicles but they had set weapons. A Harasser with the Marauder becomes a Marauder style vehicle. So vehicle wise including cert upgrades you can make even more vehicles and with a new ES vehicle coming too there will be plently of ground content.

Continent wise, we know of 5 (Indar, Assmir, Amerish, Searhaus, Hossin) and PS1 style battle islands (MLG islands)

They have added more music into PS2 now, notice the new loading screen PS1 music esche songs?

Go look at release videos, they have added alot and with roadmap updated to Nov now. There is alot of content.

Be happy we dont have to pay $15 for 4 tiny ass maps....

Pointless thread?
most stupid post ever.

ps2 completely lacks quality content compared to ps1.

the mass of weapons that are almost the same and the masses of customisation and optics are no quality content. it´s the way the devs want us to pay for the game.
there were less weapons in ps1, but they were actually different weapons all with a special purpose and playstyle.

also the number of weapons says nothing about content. ps1 had an actual global gameplay. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had a ressource system that actually mattered and had a direct impact on battles. ps2 hasn´t.
ps1 had other playstyles available like infiltrators who could actually infiltrate a base and cause major havoc inside or engineers that could lay real minefields and fortifications, ps2 has nothing like that.

i could do this until the post is a massive wall of text, but i hope you get the picture. i really hope ps2 will catch up with ps1 on quality content, but i fear this will take years.

and i would have prefered to pay 15 bucks per month but have a clean game with consistant art style and a reasonable range of weapons instead of a free game that spawns lots of uggly custumisations and useless weapons just to pay the bills.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sunrock
Major

More guns is not new content. All new guns do is change the game play a little bit... It does not add new game play.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-05-29 at 08:01 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion