Fall Damage - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where everybody knows your name.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Fall Damage and You: Does it Hurt?
My boots are scratched! (Current Low FD is acceptable) 34 29.31%
[Deceased] (High Fall Damage) 67 57.76%
ZzzzZZzz (Don't care either way) 15 12.93%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-20, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Post Fall Damage

Towards the end of TB's video he bails out of the Mosquito. The flyer disintegrates in a fiery mass, and he sails through the air, hits the ground... and doesn't die.

I was expecting him to die from that fall, and I think there should be a rather fatal consequence of falling, or jumping off of walls, tower, outposts and such.

Also in terms of aerial combat I think there should be more of a penalty for getting your ass shot off. You shouldn't be able to simply bail at any altitude and hit the ground with only a sprained toe.

Last edited by Pyreal; 2012-05-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Re: Fall Damage

I'd bet money that is an alpha "feature", I sure as hell hope so.

But you are right, there definitely needs to be proper falldamage come beta/release.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

If they don't want players to die from falls like that, I think players should have parachutes. I mean, it's either that or everyone carries jetpacks to justify not dying.

And parachutes will make bailing players a bit more obvious, which should satisfy certain types of players.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
And parachutes will make bailing players a bit more obvious, which should satisfy certain types of players.
Make them irremovable until landing, that way the other pilot can come back around and bounce him off the windshield.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
Make them irremovable until landing, that way the other pilot can come back around and bounce him off the windshield.
Yep. Flying through an enemy's parachute should rip the parachute off him and send him flying, to an almost certain falling death. Valid tactic.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gelgoog
Private

PS1 had a drop system (been a long time since I played) which if you bailed out of an aircraft, you had an "energy-chut" system that cushioned your fall. That was the whole point of the Galaxy drop ship, aka "galaxy drop". Now I can't remember if there was a height limit to drop damage (as in you had to be so high before the chut would work). I am pretty sure small drops like off towers or walls could injure you.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Holy shit another poll. :o

J/K, but could you add a 4th option with "medium", cause I neither want the current one nor do I want to instantly splat if I leave an aircraft that's not touching ground.

Edit: No chutes from the get go, if they want 'em, let 'em cert them.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-20 at 11:21 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hypevosa
Sergeant

I think the parachute should be ditchable and controllable though - it's no fun watching a movie of your character gently gliding towards the ground or certain death.

Also, yes, fall damage. Make it take skill and jump jets to avoid it, or a glider suit, or other things.

Also, damage wise, I think the player should take no damage from falls of 3 meters or lower, and damage should scale up to 20 meters where death is guarantee.

Would MAXes be able to survive falls from high up?

Last edited by Hypevosa; 2012-05-20 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

High fall damage = deceased is my preference. Also no pilots with jetpacks - maybe emergency slow methods parachutes/fall dampeners that would make them sitting ducks that couple of seconds while falling to discourage people of abusing aircraft as disposable way simply to jump into the action faster.

p.s. sorry TotalBiscuit.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
LancerNC
Private

In the original if you jumped off a tower or the walls you would take damage that varied according to your height. However, if you were bailing from an aircraft you took no damage. I really hope they keep this in PS2, for me it made ps1 a lot more fun. Tower hot drops, gal drops, etc...
Old 2012-05-20, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
p.s. sorry TotalBiscuit.
No sorry needed, he got to play, we didn't, so lay on the hurt!
Old 2012-05-20, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Momentum should affect your drop trajectory.

Old 2012-05-20, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by LancerNC View Post
In the original if you jumped off a tower or the walls you would take damage that varied according to your height. However, if you were bailing from an aircraft you took no damage. I really hope they keep this in PS2, for me it made ps1 a lot more fun. Tower hot drops, gal drops, etc...
I gotta admit, I think that was one of the less stellar features of PS1 (the "bailures"), BUT don't misunderstand me.
Aircraft specialized in transport/airdrop, i.e. a gal, need to have something like that.
But other do not, atleast not the get go.

Let the cert ejectionseat or whatever you wanna call it, but don't make it a standard from the start.

Edit:

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Momentum should affect your drop trajectory.
Oh yes, please.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

There is no option for my opinion.

1. Bailing from aircraft should result in no fall damage - otherwise gals will be useless and certing parachute is a solution for something that isn't a problem. In any case, wouldn't you rather spend your cert points on a gun?

2. Jumping from a building / cliff should cost some fall damage, depending on hieght.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

There is no option for my opinion.

1. Bailing from aircraft should result in no fall damage - otherwise gals will be useless and certing parachute is a solution for something that isn't a problem. In any case, wouldn't you rather spend your cert points on a gun?

2. Jumping from a building / cliff should cost some fall damage, depending on hieght. (including death if high enough)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion