PLease no grenades for Terran AV Max - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Welcome to the house o' love!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-04, 01:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
oosik
Sergeant

PLease no grenades for Terran AV Max

Just got back into PS 1 to help prepare for PS2 and I am reminded again of how easy it is to kill a pounder: just advance into his fire and as he kills you, he kills himself. It would be nice to see a Terran AV max with a slightly heavier cycler with a different sound. No more grief, no more self-immolation.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: PLease no grenades for Terran AV Max

All of the AV maxes murdered themselves.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
All of the AV maxes murdered themselves.
Yea, 1 on 1 with any empires Av MAX it was best to charge in. MAXes get a melee in PS2 tho.
Old 2012-04-04, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

I think Higby said melee was semi-shelved for maxes at the moment.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Hadn't seen that, but I don't use MAXes so doesn't really bother me.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Maybe you should rethink your positioning and the methods you use to take out vehicles.

- Buggies do not have enough armor to get close to you (unless you do not see them flank you).
- Tanks have enough armor to reach you if you spot them too late but even if you die while killing them, you destroy a 2-man vehicle with a 1-man weapon.
-The TR and NC MAX cannot stay on roads since they can be rammed. Only the VS MAX can avoid rams thanks to the jumpjets but in the end, a MAX in the middle of a road is vulnerable.

You should try to stay on hills, forests, towers, base walls, etc... and with some support. Otherwise, bring a vehicle to terrain that naturally favors vehicles.

TR AV MAX have an incredible DPS... Yes, they also an arc of fire which make them harder to use but as a mag driver, they are scary as hell: your armor drops in seconds.

IMO, it was a bit OP compared to the other AV MAX.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
TR AV MAX have an incredible DPS... Yes, they also an arc of fire which make them harder to use but as a mag driver, they are scary as hell: your armor drops in seconds.
They may have had an arc, but they were easily the fastest shot speed as well, and arc was pretty minimal, nothing like the vanny/prowler. Those things were beasts.

Sadly, JJ was the only useful special for MAXs in the field.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bravix
Sergeant Major

TR AV Max is amazing. That thing is the destroyer of Tanks and BFRs.

As stated above, you just gotta use the terrain to your advantage and your golden.
Old 2012-04-04, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

You can have my pounder when you pry my cold, dead, smelly body out of it's black and red shell.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-04-04, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by oosik View Post
It would be nice to see a Terran AV max with a slightly heavier cycler with a different sound. No more grief, no more self-immolation.
There was a screen shot, I forget where, that looked like that's how they were going to do it.

One arm of the TR MAX had a gatling gun with 12 small caliber barrels, and the other arm had 8 larger caliber barrels. There was no commentary about the screen shot, so I just assumed that the larger caliber gun would be AV.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Destroyeron
Troll x2

I would really like to see the AI Max have the grenades back though.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Vansoth
Private

The Pounder really shined as an AI MAX back in the day. Nothing could sweep a corridor clean like a deployed Pounder MAX. The DC MAX was AV and the Burster shells would detonate on contac with the ground so we could spam at a great distance to harass enemy infantry and vehicles before they could get into effective range. That was the golden age of the TR MAX.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by oosik View Post
Just got back into PS 1 to help prepare for PS2 and I am reminded again of how easy it is to kill a pounder: just advance into his fire and as he kills you, he kills himself. It would be nice to see a Terran AV max with a slightly heavier cycler with a different sound. No more grief, no more self-immolation.
I agree. In a Pounder you just feel a little too vulnerable for the tradeoff of low mobility and moderate damage. I understand that you have to balance MAXes against all the other players and abilities out there, but I'd rather not inadvertently kill myself that easily. Just making them slow enough to be vulnerable and requiring some teamwork to keep them repaired and rearmed would be a good balance, I think.
Old 2012-04-04, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Pah, this is ridiculous. You use a weapon wrong and complain when it doesn't work the way you want? The solution is to learn from your mistake, not change the game so it caters to your error.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-04, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The only downside I saw to the AV weapons having small AOE was in close-quarters fighting when you could hurt yourself, or friendlies with no other recourse. The VS AV max had a burn-effect instead of an AOE effect, The NC and TR had splash damage to worry about.

On the upside the splash damage also meant you didn't need direct hits every time, and in the case of the TR max being locked down the rate of fire was so high even the splash damage became quickly lethal.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion