Trayvon Martin - Page 28 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you are reading this, I am stealing your TV
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-14, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #406
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Trayvon Martin

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:30 AM.
Old 2012-04-14, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #407
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
I agree with most of what you said...watching the new just infuriates me.
You agree that Martin was a thug breaking into people's houses?

People crying about Sharpton's involvement or how the media has been talking about it relentlessly are a symptom of the problem they're decrying. Why is this one murder suddenly so important? How dare those uppity black people fight to make this national news? The media and the black civil rights people have hit the ground running with this because you don't give a fuck otherwise. Even when some kid with Skittles and a hoodie is shot dead for the crime of being black near George Zimmerman you people rally to the defense of the shooter and say it isn't a big deal. That is why the media has done this. If they didn't do this, Zimmerman would still be roaming the streets of Sanford, FL, looking for hoodlums to chase after and gun down and no fucks would be given save for the people who knew the kid.

Frankly, while some of the editing by people like NBC is atrocious and the news people wearing hoodies in solidarity was dumb as shit, the bottom line is that this is how murders should be treated in a reasonable country filled with reasonable people. There should be outrage. Everyone should be wondering why it happened, and how it can be fixed.

I know this forum is home to a lot of libertarian, racist gun-fanatics who drool over the idea of shooting anyone dead should they look askance at them, and will disagree with me in strong terms over this, but in a sane world every murder would be like this Trayvon Martin murder. It's just a sign of how fucked up things are in virtually all of our nation's that it takes a teenager being killed without cause and the shooter walking free that same night to make people care at all.

It is a sad world we live in where people being up in arms over the killing like this is somehow offensive to people.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-14 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2012-04-14, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #408
Vecha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
You agree that Martin was a thug breaking into people's houses?

I said most. Not all.

I am not a conservative or libertarian.

I do feel all news organizations have too much bias.(both msnbc AND Fox disgust me right now)

I am also not a gun owner.

Unlike you and many others(including the news) I do NOT pretend to know what went down that night.

fyi, My opinion is even if Treyvon was a punk, I feel he didn't deserve to be shot...However I will leave the condemning to our justice system.

Last edited by Vecha; 2012-04-14 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-04-14, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #409
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Again, if the news didn't act like a teenager packing iced tea being shot and the killer walking was unusual, Zimmerman never would have gotten his day in court. People being outraged over a failure of justice is the only reason there is now going to be a chance at justice. The news did nothing wrong in making a big deal out of this.
Old 2012-04-14, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #410
Vecha
First Sergeant

Again, if the news didn't act like a teenager packing iced tea being shot and the killer walking was unusual, Zimmerman never would have gotten his day in court. People being outraged over a failure of justice is the only reason there is now going to be a chance at justice. The news did nothing wrong in making a big deal out of this.
There is difference in reporting the news...and using the medium as a political platform.

I'll be perfectly clear if you don't understand me....I'm not against them spreading awareness...I'm against them giving it a right or left spin.

Chance to talk about gun rights.

Chance to attack Obama.

Chance to polarize America.

I feel Treyvon's Parents have been more even-tempered/cool headed then all the nutjobs around them.
Old 2012-04-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #411
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Those angles are hardly the driving issue behind any of it. And it polarizes people because, as this thread demonstrates, there is no shortage of people who don't give two shits if a black person is killed, even if it's a teenager, even if he was unarmed and just walking home while talking on the phone, even if his attacker had to get out of his car and chase him down before he could shoot him. It is polarizing because many Americans are vile, racist shitheads.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-14 at 09:46 PM.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #412
Vecha
First Sergeant

Those angles are hardly the driving issue behind any of it. And it polarizes people because, as this thread demonstrates, there is no shortage of people who don't give two shits if a black person is killed, even if it's a teenager, even if he was unarmed and just walking home while talking on the phone, even if his attacker had to get out of his car and chase him down before he could shoot him. It is polarizing because many Americans are vile, racist shitheads.

Yeah...those points aren't the driving issue....which is why I find the news organizations infuriating.

That was my whole point.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #413
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Where are you from Warborn?

(Canada)
Old 2012-04-15, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #414
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

who cares
Old 2012-04-15, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #415
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Am I a racist?

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-04-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #416
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I dunno. What does your heart tell you, Buzz?
Old 2012-04-16, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #417
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Yes Figment, States have rights in the United States of America. I am beginning to wonder if there is any limit to your ignorance.
Did you just claim I'm not aware there are state rights after you quoted me mentioning them?

Wow. Your incapacity of reading and interpretation are legendary.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #418
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

You do realize that you are coming across as having more racial prejudice then the posters you imply are "racist shitheads"(I assume your generalization included other posters?). I don't know if you noticed, but shit happens all the time. People shoot other people on a daily basis, and a lot of times the killer is never caught, or people know and he walks due to a technicality. Where is the outrage? Where is the media, why don't they bring it to our attention the way it did with Zimmerman and Martin?

Is it because he happens to be black, and the shooter happens to be half-white? Sorry, I didn't realize we needed to check his skin color before putting it on the News... Fucking bigots.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-04-16 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #419
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
You do realize that you are coming across as having more racial prejudice then the posters you imply are "racist shitheads"(I assume your generalization included other posters?). I don't know if you noticed, but shit happens all the time. People shoot other people on a daily basis, and a lot of times the killer is never caught, or people know and he walks due to a technicality. Where is the outrage? Where is the media, why don't they bring it to our attention the way it did with Zimmerman and Martin?

Is it because he happens to be black, and the shooter happens to be half-white? Sorry, I didn't realize we needed to check his skin color before putting it on the News... Fucking bigots.
The reason this is such a huge nationwide story is because it's a perfect storm of problems that are either real or perceived to be real. It's an unarmed young black man shot dead in a neighborhood he had every right to be in by a white(ish) guy who suspected him of being a criminal based on no apparent evidence to support such a claim. It was based purely on looks. He was a black teenager in a hoodie walking through a gated neighborhood at night.

Add to that the fact that Zimmerman was not initially charged or even properly investigated because of a controversial gun right's law. Mix all of that in a pot and what you have is the headline of "It's open season on blacks". Of course it's racially charged. Of course the details don't necessarily all support the narrative.

It is foolish, however, to say that there isn't a great deal of racially motivated injustice in this country. It comes to mind, after all, how likely it would have been if a 17 year old white kid in a hoodie was walking down the street. Would he have ended up dead? That's the question the country is asking itself, and is really the heart of this entire conversation.

Having that conversation doesn't make any of us bigots.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-16, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #420
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:29 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum