Servers with FF:Off - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't Touch The Button
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want there to be FF: Off servers?
Hell no! 156 82.98%
Sure, why not? 32 17.02%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-03, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Servers with FF:Off

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
You'd also have to turn off friendly clipping to prevent doors and hallways from getting blocked, and automatically deconstruct vehicles that are blocking stuff. There will be lots of ways to abuse such a system and it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

But in principal, I have no objection to turning off FF in a game where explosives are limited by resources.
Seems like every time I turn around, someone's bringing up abuse in the context of people griefing their own team. Don't GMs ever ban griefers, so that draconian preventative measures aren't necessary?
Old 2012-04-03, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Have I ever mentioned I love this community? They always seem to have overwhelmingly similar views as me.

No disabled FF if it wasn't clear.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I dislike any sort of special servers. PS1 didn't have 'em, and it didn't need 'em. Special servers also create balancing nightmares as something that is not an issue on one server type could be a crippling issue on another.

They need to keep the skill cap high as Skitrel describes, and stand by their guns.

People will get used to friendly fire if they aren't already.It makes better players and forces better tactics. Fire control and tactics is always better than spam.

No to any special servers. One vision. One game.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I dislike any sort of special servers. PS1 didn't have 'em, and it didn't need 'em. Special servers also create balancing nightmares as something that is not an issue on one server type could be a crippling issue on another.

They need to keep the skill cap high as Skitrel describes, and stand by their guns.

People will get used to friendly fire if they aren't already.It makes better players and forces better tactics. Fire control and tactics is always better than spam.

No to any special servers. One vision. One game.
Servers with differing rulesets are everywhere in MMOs. I happen to agree with you on friendly fire specifically, but rejecting varied rulesets out of hand is the wrong approach, each issue should be looked at individually.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-03, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Servers with differing rulesets are everywhere in MMOs. I happen to agree with you on friendly fire specifically, but rejecting varied rulesets out of hand is the wrong approach, each issue should be looked at individually.
Ya I disagree. Ruleset differences are signs that a game tries too hard to cater to everyone. It's a cop-out.

Make the game the way it should be. No compromising the game design to pander to a subset of the population that's going to play the game anyway.

This is one of those issues where I really like to see the developers man up and stand by their design as the right way the game should be.
Old 2012-04-03, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shogun
Contributor
General

and we need a server where you need to accept a duel challenge before one can hurt you, so the world of warcraft players feel comfy, too

ff (and a grief system) is a fundamental part of planetside that has to stay!
the zerg is mindless enough. no need to turn them into zombies that don´t even need to look when shooting. nades may be limited by ressources, but there are other spam weapons that are not.
we need ff and a grief system that basically works like the old one. make some adjustments to iron out the few flaws it had, and then keep it on every server.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-03, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
and we need a server where you need to accept a duel challenge before one can hurt you, so the world of warcraft players feel comfy, too

ff (and a grief system) is a fundamental part of planetside that has to stay!
the zerg is mindless enough. no need to turn them into zombies that don´t even need to look when shooting. nades may be limited by ressources, but there are other spam weapons that are not.
we need ff and a grief system that basically works like the old one. make some adjustments to iron out the few flaws it had, and then keep it on every server.
lol, major off topic, but yea, when I play MMORPGs I want to play on a PvP server, and one that allows open pvp, not just duel-only garbage. Now that's an example of a server variance that's needed badly. Unfortunately PS is ONLY PvP so it doesn't translate as an example
Old 2012-04-03, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Furber
First Sergeant

Huh, maybe this server would be like a kids server? Odds are, if they did have a server that was no FF, pretty much none of us would play on it. Doesn't seem like it would hurt us in anyway though since we wouldnt play on it, maybe it would attract super casuals/kids?
Old 2012-04-03, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
kertvon
Sergeant

Not even up for discussion here. No FF is lame. Is nobody aiming to make a combat sim anymore... if I shoot a comrade IRL, the bullets are not going to go through them. Enough with the arcade games!
Old 2012-04-03, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Ya I disagree. Ruleset differences are signs that a game tries too hard to cater to everyone. It's a cop-out.

Make the game the way it should be. No compromising the game design to pander to a subset of the population that's going to play the game anyway.

This is one of those issues where I really like to see the developers man up and stand by their design as the right way the game should be.
yea, the game is designed around a certain rule set, not having FF totally changes the dynamics and balance of the game.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-03, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

T-Ray: "People were sayin', 'What's the catch??'"
Higby: "I still don't understand the economics of it myself!"

LOL...Just roll with it boys!
Old 2012-04-03, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Zenben
Master Sergeant

I'm against absolutely anything that has the possibility to divide the player base. That should only ever be done if population gets too high.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
I'm against absolutely anything that has the possibility to divide the player base. That should only ever be done if population gets too high.
The playerbase will already be divided by using the shard system. The fact that some shards may have differences will do little to nothing to further divide it. After all, we're already starting the game with 3 servers according to published plans.
Old 2012-04-03, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Don't GMs ever ban griefers.
AFAIK, the PS1 GM (all one of them) didn't ban anybody, ever. People were allowed to blatantly cheat, flying around invulnerable with guns that could instantly kill everybody within 300 meters of them, for hours at a time until they got bored and logged off.
Old 2012-04-03, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Furber View Post
Huh, maybe this server would be like a kids server? Odds are, if they did have a server that was no FF, pretty much none of us would play on it. Doesn't seem like it would hurt us in anyway though since we wouldnt play on it, maybe it would attract super casuals/kids?
The problem is it will effect you in a negative way.

Think about it, if some servers have ff off then all the grifers are gonna be on a concentrated number of servers which makes the problem worse.

Now if all servers have ff on then the grifers will be on all servers thus their won't be concentration of griefers so it won't be as bad for a group of people.

Honestly I don't c what the big deal with griefers .....it doesn't happen that often and when it does it usually doesn't last long cuz of grief system....ff off servers will make it a problem for the reasons I just mentioned.

as for attrActing casual kids......wtf? I never met anybody who cared about ff being on so much that they wouldn't play a gAme lol
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion