Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby] - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Life is a bitch, her name is {{eMaGyN}}. Not this quote again!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should cockpit view be forced?
Yes 287 77.36%
No 84 22.64%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-16, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Stew
Major

Re: Cockpit View - should graphics be forced? More options.

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The new cockpit view screenshot looks great, but as a pilot, whenever a game gives me the chance, I turn it off and go for the wider view. Currently, we know of two choices for pilots:

1. Cockpit view.
2. 3rd person.

Should there be a third option? Option 3 would still be a 1st person view, but would turn off the cockpit graphics and give you just a HUD, like the earlier screenshots we have seen. Having the HUD View would cater to pilots, as they would be able to see more, but forcing cockpit view offers another distinction between aircraft and their possible advantages/disadvantages.

Should SOE force cockpit graphics?

]
it have to be forced On not having it will be kinda exploits and also ruins the game imersiveness !

The cockpit blind u a little on bothside so people who want to exploits the systhem will disable it so a BIG YESSSSSSS

They have to FORCE IT ON !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Wargrim
Sergeant

Re: Cockpit View - should it be forced? More options.

Fine, if you are afraid that those who disable the cockpit will get too much of an advantage over people who use it, simply connect the switching off with a drawback. Like for example 20% less ammo capacity, or 10% speed reduction, or whatever seems to be a good tradeoff.

That would be much better than forcing cockpits on people that dont like them.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Wargrim View Post
Fine, if you are afraid that those who disable the cockpit will get too much of an advantage over people who use it, simply connect the switching off with a drawback. Like for example 20% less ammo capacity, or 10% speed reduction, or whatever seems to be a good tradeoff.

BIG NO to ur idea everyones as to have the same view 3rd person and cockpit view end off the story period !
Old 2012-04-16, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Wargrim
Sergeant

BIG NO to ur idea everyones as to have the same view 3rd person and hud view end off the story period !
Old 2012-04-16, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
No way- this isn't scope creep. If they are going to dip their toes in on immersion, let's take the dive and go for it all!

Some people want to say that entry/exit animations are the deal for them. For me, it's looking at the screen in your cockpit and getting actual useful information.

The ultimate immersion would be in say, a Galaxy, you spawn it, and it appears with rear ramp down. You walk in, up to the cockpit, and once there, hit the button to sit down. Brief engine startup sequence, even if one button. As people come in and sit down in their transport seats, lights come on on one of your panels. When that last one comes on, you hit the close ramp button and take off. Then, you've got a multi-waypoint flight path to your landing zone that takes you through the safest known route. You can see that on your HUD and on your map. Etc.
Ur request dont make sens at this point TO much animmation take to much ressource and time to get it done properly the cockpit view was planned since the begining of ps2 developpement the footage they have show early as no cockpit because they were not ready !

iam agains to much animation that could lead to many bugs glitchs and even exploits and also take to much ressource time and $ for no proper use !

A cokpit view is mimmersive and make each vehicules for each empire distincs and make it feel better ! instead of just having red lines purple line and yellow lines .. so yeah

Dont want enter and quit useless animation but i still want a decents cokpit view for every wheel air ground or whatever vehicules !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

HUD view gives too much of an advantage in terms of LOS and FOV. If HUD view was an option, nobody would use Cockpit view because it would give them a disadvantage.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Erendil
First Lieutenant

I just re-watched the vid showing footage captured in-game and I'm more convinced now that the cockpit should be on for everyone. Both the Gauss Rifle and Vanguard models drawn apperaed to be real 3D objects and they were affected by real-time lighting and shadows. It made a HUGE difference in adding to the immersion aspect.

Looking at the Mossie cockpit in the OP it seems to have the same lighting, so it's definitely more than just a press-on decal like the overlays you'd get with old Vectrex Games. TBH the Reaver footage looked almost like a different game.

However, I still might be okay with people being able to remove it as a sidegrade.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-16 at 08:36 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Wargrim View Post

This is incredibly arbitrary and a clumsy "fix" for the issue.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Ur request dont make sens at this point TO much animmation take to much ressource and time to get it done properly the cockpit view was planned since the begining of ps2 developpement the footage they have show early as no cockpit because they were not ready !

iam agains to much animation that could lead to many bugs glitchs and even exploits and also take to much ressource time and $ for no proper use !

A cokpit view is mimmersive and make each vehicules for each empire distincs and make it feel better ! instead of just having red lines purple line and yellow lines .. so yeah

Dont want enter and quit useless animation but i still want a decents cokpit view for every wheel air ground or whatever vehicules !
Well, 'immersion crowd', you heard the man... That settles that.

Last edited by JHendy; 2012-04-16 at 08:51 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Wargrim
Sergeant

At least i am making suggestions how to maybe get to a solution that benefits both sides, instead of forcing my way of playing on others. And there are 100 possible other tradeoffs.

There are 3 different main empire tanks that are ballanced by having tradeoffs. There will be tons of sidegrades that will be ballanced by tradeoffs. And you tell me you can not ballance something as basic as a hud view instead of a cockpit view by using some kind of tradeoffs? This is silly.
Old 2012-04-16, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
ikon
Master Sergeant

i do like the idea of forcing the cockpit view to even the playing field.

but also im assuming there will be plenty of anti air, thus having the more open view will help in dealing with it.

not to mention, flying through the woods will be much harder ^^
Old 2012-04-16, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

It must be forced on.

A mandatory cockpit view (however obtrusive or not it may be) is a challenge that all pilots must overcome.

An optional cockpit view is an obstruction that all pilots can remove. In a game where a player is under continual pressure from a variety of sources to perform to the best of their ability that means most players will feel obligated to disable it, lest they let their friends/enemies/self down.

You all remember the grass. It made the world look nicer. You wanted to have it on. But every time you hit a mine there was that little nag in the back of your head. "You would be doing better if you just turned it off". And so we accepted lower graphical fidelity for a performance boost that was probably negligable anyway. I like to call it the "We can't have nice things" effect.

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
EDIT: I would also like to add that I really hope that my eyes are seeing this right and that the cockpit itself appears to be affected by real-time lighting and shadows as well.
Now that I think about it, they did refer to them as 3D cockpits, so hopefully they do work with the lighting and for 3D glasses.

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
I know how important a clear view from an aircraft will be for video/film makers when PS2 is here.
I have to admit I'd have never thought of that. Maybe the option could be in a gunner seat? The PS1 Lib had a bomber camera that I've often thought would be perfect for filming things from the air. You'd need 2 person camera teams of course.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2012-04-16 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

We (the Planetside veterans) are not used to a cockpit view, but this is Planetside 2 and cockpits are in; flying cameras are out. Flying this kind of aircraft AS WELL as performing strafing runs on ground targets should take every bit of skill the pilot has to pull off. From the beginning Smed said that flying in Planetside 2 would separate the men from the boys.

Poll says it all, they work hard to put this in the game and make it as immersive as possible. Turning them off is a big fuck you to their efforts.

Mossie cockpit looks pretty sweet, looking forward to seeing the rest.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

I don't like cockpits at all. Higby was doing it the RIGHT WAY. As nice as it and all the work went into it I say put that info on the hud and get rid off the cockpit.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Lol at all the people that want to wallhack their internet helicopters.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion