Analysis of PS 2 Teaser Trailer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: STFU!!..... submitted by Sigbot!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Analysis of PS 2 Teaser Trailer

I just thought I'd run through the trailer in slow-mo and see if I could pick any details out that give us some info on how the game will play, they aren't in any order because I'm a disorganized hopeless messy person so I'm just going through the frames as I spot stuff of interest

From this image a few things can be spotted, in circle 3 the tank [magrider (?)] has a driver and a gunner with a little picture in the top right showing open and occupied spots with a little graphic of the vehicle similar to Planetside. The tank apparently has a driver 'Shuttledem' since he is firing a weapon it seems like the magrider keeps its driver controlled plasma rifle thing.

In circle 1 there is a marker showing the direction of the vehicle and some illegible writing with some form of UI, it's possible that the writing refers to the region as it appears to be some kind of name such as NIMOH.

In circle 2 there is an obviously improved targeting system for the magrider gun rather than just a Cone of Fire we actually have some form of electronic system, in the video the shot clearly arcs so it looks like ballistics are in the game again.

In circle 4 there is a compass, pretty interesting since this was on the minimap in Planetside 1. Perhaps we will lose the minimap and instead have to use a static map and navigational skills to get around. Doubtful though.

In circle 5 there is a speed readout (KPM?), just a nice touch.

Finally circle 6 highlights alien symbols, probably Vanu symbols. Maybe this means there will be a fleshing out of the Vanu history as we have never seen the aliens written language before. It was stated that the backstory would be looked into in more detail.

Terran Republic

In the video we only see one Terran republic armor however there are multiple mutations of it.

In circle 1 there is clearly a repeater with some sort of reflex/red dot sight attached, it also has two barrels similar to the pistols from Battlestar Galactica so it could possibly have a secondary firing mode

In circle 2 there is a soldier wearing the same armor, however in this armor the helmet does not have the respirator/mouthpiece that we see earlier in the video - it merely has goggles + helmet however what this means is not clear. There is also a jetpack on the soldiers back which troopers with respirators/full face helmets lack.

It appears that we have two different types of armor, a more 'agile' version which has a jetpack and helmet + goggles and an 'assault' version. The assault version has a full-face helmet along with gauntlets and armored legs and forearms with a larger belt buckle.

In circle 3 there is clearly a soldier communicating via a wrist radio or some other form of device, he is also lacking a helmet - this could be a 'Squad leader' or 'commander class' as he appears to drop protection for command abilities.

In circle 4 we see a beautiful skybox, possibly an Auraxian moon?

In circle 5 there is another class, this one lacks a helmet and wields some form of sniper rifle with a long ranged electronic sight, the sight actually looks like some form of night-vision or vision enhanced scope. The gun also has a small magazine and is obviously not a 'break barrel' style sniper like Planetside's bolt-driver.

The crates in circle 6 caught my eye, they have Nanite systems printed on, this could indicate that nanites are still a resource and all the gameplay and story elements this entails.

Last edited by 2coolforu; 2011-07-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NCLynx
Major

Re: Analysis of PS 2 Teaser Trailer

Personally I think circle one could be which direction the gun is facing. If it's what direction the vehicle is facing what is it in reference to? We already have the compass at the top.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Good analysis. I did not even consider that to be an UI for a vehicle as the view was odd and I thought it was a infantry with no gun viewing it.

This is probably a bit of stretch, but I cannot stop thinking about those support legs on that wannabe tower. The ground are the base of those legs looks broken up. It is almost as though that structure could move across the land or better yet be a drop installation from a orbiting platform. Of course this could just be my imagination running wild wanting PS2 to be the best game ever .
Old 2011-07-11, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kouza
Sergeant

+1
Old 2011-07-11, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kouza
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Good analysis. I did not even consider that to be an UI for a vehicle as the view was odd and I thought it was a infantry with no gun viewing it.

This is probably a bit of stretch, but I cannot stop thinking about those support legs on that wannabe tower. The ground are the base of those legs looks broken up. It is almost as though that structure could move across the land or better yet be a drop installation from a orbiting platform. Of course this could just be my imagination running wild wanting PS2 to be the best game ever .
It was mentioned that, it was landing gear in the Media Round-up Q&A by smedley, who did not want to elaborate.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
Personally I think circle one could be which direction the gun is facing. If it's what direction the vehicle is facing what is it in reference to? We already have the compass at the top.
I think it's a squad mate indicator.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
It was mentioned that, it was landing gear in the Media Round-up Q&A by smedley, who did not want to elaborate.
. That made my day!
Old 2011-07-11, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Here we can see the difference between the 'Agile' class which has a jetpack and the 'Heavy' class that does not.

In circles 1,2 and 3 the heavy has extra leg and forearm armor along with larger kneepads and a large armored belt with buckle and a full-face helmet. Although this could be a customization choice and not an agile exo suit vs reinforced exo suit.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

By heavy class do you mean Rexo heavy? That almost has no resemblance to a TR rexo (TR max is almost a carbon copy of the original). Has there been any mention of a Rexo anyway?
Old 2011-07-11, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Kouza
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post

Here we can see the difference between the 'Agile' class which has a jetpack and the 'Heavy' class that does not.

In circles 1,2 and 3 the heavy has extra leg and forearm armor along with larger kneepads and a large armored belt with buckle and a full-face helmet. Although this could be a customization choice and not an agile exo suit vs reinforced exo suit.
Note, this was an indication of leadership in planet side one, and had no effect. (minus the helm) It could mean anything .
Old 2011-07-11, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

This one is really interesting

In circle 1 the Terran soldier clearly has something on his back, however it is NOT a jetpack. The item is iridescent purple, it could even be a Vanu Sovereignty jetpack however that seems unlikely, could it be a stealth field or some other form of gadgetry? The soldier with the strange pack also seems to have a sleeker helmet design and is also very lightly armored.

In circle 2 the different design of the 'Heavy' suits helmet can be seen compared to the open faced 'Agile' suit, in circle 3 the extra protection can be seen around the thighs and lower legs.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
Note, this was an indication of leadership in planet side one, and had no effect. (minus the helm) It could mean anything .
We had command shinpads but we certainly did not have command greaves or belt buckles. However I accept that these could be part of the increased customization that has been spoken of. The suits do seem far too similar to an agile to be a totally new type of armor, but it could be slight variations within the 'Agile' class, perhaps even within classes you can sacrifice mobility for protection. Smedley and Higby certainly hinted towards this with the 'Slow firing but more damaging' gun idea, they clearly want you to be able to fine tune your classes to your play style.
Old 2011-07-11, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
I think it's a squad mate indicator.
As in always pointing to the SL? (Or maybe that blue EXP WP if it's in the game)
Old 2011-07-11, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't think those are "heavy" suits. Right here is a leaked TR helmet. The looks far more armored and by the looks still has the gas mask portion as well.

Maybe this a armor between agile and rexo?
Old 2011-07-11, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

In circle 1 the Mossie has clearly got its weapons! Looks like a pretty beefy 20 MM Vulcan minigun; that thing packs some serious punch! That also means a lot of work has been done since we last saw the mossie as no vehicle animations had been done at that point

In circle 2 there are clearly pylons for mounting missiles or other attachments to the aircraft, either that or they are just there to look cool but perhaps we can give our mosquitos Air-to-Air missile loadouts or perhaps FFAR Rocket pods etc etc

In circle 3 is a Terran Republic galaxy looking pretty bad-ass, also pulling off a banking maneuver showing those new aircraft physics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion