News: Nexus Battle Island Revealed - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You only visit on all the days that end with Y
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-29, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: Nexus Battle Island Revealed

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Indeed. I'm sure that it will be able to support more than 96 players (Design wise), although I obviously have no idea if that's true or not. I don't know just how many players it would be able to support before just becoming a huge cluster fuck.
From listening to the stream it's 48v48, on the live servers as well. They don't know how they're going to implement it on live yet, but the only thing they have said is that there will be a cert pool for everyone on Nexus to build their characters. Which sounds to me that as of now it's that intention for the live servers as well, especially considering that the Nexus on live is used for determining ranking of outfits. You wouldn't have a ladder with BR100 outfit playing against a BR20 outfit to determine their ranking for a ladder with equal BR outfits playing against each other, it wouldn't make sense from a math point or competitive point.
Old 2013-06-29, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
From listening to the stream it's 48v48, on the live servers as well. They don't know how they're going to implement it on live yet, but the only thing they have said is that there will be a cert pool for everyone on Nexus to build their characters. Which sounds to me that as of now it's that intention for the live servers as well, especially considering that the Nexus on live is used for determining ranking of outfits. You wouldn't have a ladder with BR100 outfit playing against a BR20 outfit to determine their ranking for a ladder with equal BR outfits playing against each other, it wouldn't make sense from a math point or competitive point.
I thought the ranking system would be based entirely on normal day-to-day playing.
I see your point, but if this ends up being the only function behind the battle islands (Besides serving as MLG grounds) then I can't help but feel like it will have been a squandered opportunity.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-29, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Shame they had to fall into line and have just two factions competing.
Not truly Planetside 2 imo but I understand they need to dumb it down a little for MLG reasons.

Very interested in how they will integrate Briggs into the ladder system.
Or will it be North America only who have access?
Old 2013-06-29, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
Shame they had to fall into line and have just two factions competing.
Not truly Planetside 2 imo but I understand they need to dumb it down a little for MLG reasons.

Very interested in how they will integrate Briggs into the ladder system.
Or will it be North America only who have access?
Actually the majority of best fights in PS1 were just faction vs. one faction. 3 way fights are novel at best and the current implementation of 3 permanent, uncappable warpgates kind of shows how old the 3 way fighting can get
Old 2013-06-29, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
AThreatToYou
Major

Make Nexus a home cont [once 3 of these "hey lets waste time on MLG" islands pop up].

Empire's uncappable WG/base would be on this cont.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-06-29 at 09:19 PM.
Old 2013-06-29, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Ogre
Private

I am really hoping that this bleeds over into some continent redesign. I want to see forests so thick air IR cant see through them, and areas were "charlie" is in the trees with jump jetting light assault hopping from branch to branch. Where you can duck between trucks and at night, night vision or a flashlight is a must. perhaps with a little natural lighting from the unnatural trees of the world. I had mixed feelings about the console version on PS4, and I have always felt PS2 was "extended beta" In a way, sorta right, but I hope if this stuff keeps cranking out, and the higher ups at SOE see the game is a great asset and keep throwing money at it. Devs, everyone on that team, keep up the great work, it is appreciated, even if your fans and players, myself included, are sorta pricks.

Hell, someday we might even seen a prone feature for our infantry.
Old 2013-06-29, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
camycamera
Major

looks nice as, but i thought there would be water, because battle islands? or is this just one of many maps?
Old 2013-06-29, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Cole
Private

REALLY IMPORTANT!!! Higby said on reddit that the version of this on live servers will support 250 players or more.
Old 2013-06-29, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Cole View Post
REALLY IMPORTANT!!! Higby said on reddit that the version of this on live servers will support 250 players or more.
That will do wonders for low pop servers.
Old 2013-06-30, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The more real estate the more the pops will spread. As far as taking pop away from the other 3 conts Nexus will not do anything that Hossin or Searhurs won't do. But it would actually be worse for low pop servers. At least it will be to the faction that will be locked out of Nexus.

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-06-30 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2013-06-30, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Gonchiese
Private

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
The more real estate the more the pops will spread. As far as taking pop away from the other 3 conts Nexus will not do anything that Hossin or Searhurs won't do. But it would actually be worse for low pop servers. At least it will be to the faction that will be locked out of Nexus.
The only issue I see is it taking away from the actual game. Instead of playing PS2, we'll now be playing PSTDM. To me this is not what Planetside is or was ever about. If I wanted to play some TDM in a more sci-fi scenario I'll go and install UT3
Old 2013-06-30, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Blynd
First Sergeant

as soon as it said balanced for 2 forces i wasnt interested - this is planetside 2 not cod/bf we have 3 teams not 2 ffs.

it does look very nice place and as someone mentions the prowler weapon and the black camo all look nice
Old 2013-06-30, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
MrMak
Sergeant Major

I remembr them saying in an aerlier vid (Think it was during the E3 stream) that (apaert form using them as competetive arenas) they were planinng to make the Islands "buffors" etween continents when continent locking is implemented.
Old 2013-06-30, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Corewin
Private

Originally Posted by Gonchiese View Post
The only issue I see is it taking away from the actual game. Instead of playing PS2, we'll now be playing PSTDM. To me this is not what Planetside is or was ever about. If I wanted to play some TDM in a more sci-fi scenario I'll go and install UT3
Seriously? How is the game (as it stands right now) any different than a TDM?

Look at this objectively. This map, along with MLG, provides meaningful closure to an otherwise pointless game. Planetside 2 currently has no "victory" conditions. Some may argue that there are Alerts, but we all know they were just a bandaid fix to a population problem during off hours, not a means of creating a meta game.

1 vs 1 is the only logical way to balance in a competitive sense. 1v1v1 is impossible. IM-POSS-IBLE. As proven by PS2's current mechanics.

I'll admit that this jacks the overall feel of Battlefield due to limited numbers, but past that Planetside offers plenty of community related content that Battlefield titles wouldn't be able to provide.

1. PS2 Outfits are a bit more established and considerably less flaky compared to their Battlefield counterparts.
2. Inter game rivalries are more prevalent due to a limited number of servers. Players interact and become known far more through their skill and infamy, rather than cheesy highlight videos most people rely on to become known in BF3 and the like.
3. The vehicle game play is considerably different. Adds an element that can't really be compared to BF3.

This has the potential to be something worth while. I'm holding out on how they'll be doing points, objectives, resources, and victory conditions.
Old 2013-06-30, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
ringring
Contributor
General

It looks better than I thought it would tbh.

This is supposed to cater for inter-outfit matches so how wil that work. What happens if two or more matches need to be ongoing at the same time?

What happens to the island in the main persistent world while a match is ongoing?

Hopefully there will be multiple instances of the islands with several reserved for matches and one set for the persistent world.

But, we need that inter-continental lattice even more now. Indar+Esamir+Amerish_Nexus+Extinction+Ascension+De solation+Hossin with lattice = good times.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion