bulletdrop - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Link Me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-17, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Letten
Private

bulletdrop

Is there bulletdrop in PS2?
Old 2012-06-17, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SG Gonad
Private

Re: bulletdrop

Yes. Not severe, but it is there.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SG Gonad View Post
Yes. Not severe, but it is there.
No, it's "realistic" bulletdrop.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
super pretendo
First Sergeant

In real life there isn't really bullet drop until like 200 meters away or more. Will people be sniping from that far?
Old 2012-06-18, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Novacane
Private

A 5.56x45 NATO round fired from an M16 drops around a foot at 200m and around 25" at 300m. I'd say PS bullet drop is a bit exaggerated based on that. But, it has to be scaled since the ranges that most combat will happen in is a lot closer than that would happen in real gun fights.

So yes, there is scaled realistic bullet drop in PS2.
Old 2012-06-18, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #6

(Someone correct me if I’m wrong here)

But I THINK only the Vanu weapons won’t have bullet drop. I’m sure that was mentioned at E3.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Fab
Sergeant

Normally no bullet drop for Vanu weapons since they don't use bullet. But as a counter part they will be less powerful when the distance is bigger : they are light based, and light fades away after a while.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Correct - I mentioned this in another thread but Higby demoed the bullet drop for Jennyboo and I when were in SD by using debug tools. So it's definitely there and kicking

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-18, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Erk
Private

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
In real life there isn't really bullet drop until like 200 meters away or more. Will people be sniping from that far?
If we're going with real life, it would depend on the rifle and ammunition. If we're thinking, like, an AR-15 its gonna go up aft 150m then start dropping.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Erk View Post
If we're going with real life, it would depend on the rifle and ammunition. If we're thinking, like, an AR-15 its gonna go up aft 150m then start dropping.
In real life, a bullet fired with the barrel parallel to the ground (tangent actually) will start dropping ALMOST immediately. There are subtle dynamics, but in essence the bullet immediately begins to fall.

In a normal situation, you're going to be sighting something through some sort of optic or iron sight. In this case, there is a slight up-tilt on the barrel when compared with the sight line which results in a point at which the bullet will rise ABOVE the sight line about 5-10cm and then fall back through the sight line again. On a rifle (mach 1.5-2.0) this drop will start around 300m or so. It really depends upon where the sights are aligned.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
demonicale
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
In real life, a bullet fired with the barrel parallel to the ground (tangent actually) will start dropping ALMOST immediately. There are subtle dynamics, but in essence the bullet immediately begins to fall.

In a normal situation, you're going to be sighting something through some sort of optic or iron sight. In this case, there is a slight up-tilt on the barrel when compared with the sight line which results in a point at which the bullet will rise ABOVE the sight line about 5-10cm and then fall back through the sight line again. On a rifle (mach 1.5-2.0) this drop will start around 300m or so. It really depends upon where the sights are aligned.
Damm you know your stuff!, i like
Old 2012-06-18, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post

Reminds me of BRM, haha.

still got my lil' black book
http://i.imgur.com/wEqgQ.jpg

Last edited by indirect; 2012-06-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

When fired parallel to the ground a bullet fired drops just as fast as a bullet simply dropped to the ground at the same height and same time. Mythbusters ftw
Old 2012-06-18, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by demonicale View Post
Damm you know your stuff!, i like
I don't know whether CyclesMcHurtz is a gun nut or has had any formal firearms training, but...

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
When fired parallel to the ground a bullet fired drops just as fast as a bullet simply dropped to the ground at the same height and same time. Mythbusters ftw
Physics 101 for the win. This is all stuff some simple Newtonian physics would cover, and probably even see used in textbook examples!

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-06-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ailos
Contributor
Major

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...red-bullet.htm

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions