Zerg - And what that means? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The bastard child of Hamma and Jennyboo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-18, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Zerg - And what that means?

Zerg is like "fuck" and "shit" - it has a lot of meanings and uses.

A unique PlanetSide meaning that I used a lot was to refer to the large mass of otherwise unguided players that would move like a mob across the map from one facility to another, taking the simplest and most direct route to the next objective and capturing all towers along the way.

These player blobs were a combination of solo players, small squads, and outfits of all sizes. They gravitated together and were largely self-guided, but CR5s could direct them to various degrees of success, provided there weren't a lot of conflicting requests from different CR5s.

They were often the blind leading the blind but they had a basic understanding of how the strategic game was played and a programmed pattern of attack tower, attack base, move to next base, rinse & repeat. Not very responsive of smarter enemy tactics, they'd often get bogged down and stuck at a single insignificant base while more valuable bases were lost.

Often called "The Zerg on <continent>"
Old 2012-06-18, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Not sure Go applies any better. Both games rely on strict rules that balance the sides evenly. War doesn't. Both games will teach you to plan your moves, but both sides start off with very similar advantages/disavantages and it's a test of whether or not you can hold the advantage longer then your opponent. Warfare requires that you turn your disadvantage to your advantage, because opposing sides are rarely evenly matched to start. Sun Tzu wrote of many ways to do this using everything from terrain to the sun, and board games are poor representations to practice with.

Just ask yourself if zerging is possible, and if so then it's an accurate representation of actual warfare.
I can imagine the really hard core outfit leaders knowing everything about Sun Tzu and using everything like that, and talking about it and most of the people thinking ..
Soldier 1: "Huh?? Do you understand what hes saying?"
Soldier 2: "Don't worry, as long as you do what he says, you'll be fine"
Soldier 3: "Shut up! This stuff is going to be on the exam..
Soldier 1: "What!! Theres gonna be an exam?? Oh god!!" *Jumps out window*
Soldier 2: "Did he know we were 100 metres in the air?"
Soldier 3: "Well, if he didn't know, he does now."
*Soldier 2 walks in*
Soldier 2: "Hey guys."
Soldier 1: "Wait... shouldn't you be dead?"
Soldier 2: "Nah, i had a jetpack."
Soldier 3: "Damn, i had dibs on your money in the secret safe under your bed"
Soldier 2: "How do you know about that?"
Soldier 3: "Oh. I know many things..."

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-06-18 at 06:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Typically people use the word "zerg" or phrase "being zerged" in a derogatory way to lift their broken self esteem after having been victim of an organized operation.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Graywolves
General

The Zerg in planetside is the mass of unguided players who go from fight to fight without any organization. It's basically a giant mob of players who just go straight to the biggest fights or biggest experience farms.

Sometimes players will talk about directing or supporting the zerg.

A Zergfit (Zerg/Outfit) is a very large outfit. Zergfit is used to make fun of large outfits, claiming that they are just a large group of unorganized players who use Zap Brannigan war tactics of sending wave after wave of men until the killbots reach their preset kill limit.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
Typically people use the word "zerg" or phrase "being zerged" in a derogatory way to lift their broken self esteem after having been victim of an organized operation.
On the other hand, some zergs typically think they're organised because they get 100 people in a generator and have everybody focusing on a single door.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-18, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
A Zergfit (Zerg/Outfit) is a very large outfit. Zergfit is used to make fun of large outfits, claiming that they are just a large group of unorganized players who use Zap Brannigan war tactics of sending wave after wave of men until the killbots reach their preset kill limit.
Can't argue with the results. Admittedly I wouldn't use most of Brannigan's other Big Book of War strategies, but...
Old 2012-06-18, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
On the other hand, some zergs typically think they're organised because they get 100 people in a generator and have everybody focusing on a single door.
Luckily in PS1 things of zero importance (like an air tower in the middle of no where) didn't have generators for organized players to drop.

Phew!

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-06-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Well you see in an MMOFPS where the developers boast about 2000+ players fighting all at once people get very, very upset when they don't abide by their CoD/BF 8v8 arena rules.

It sounds stupid I know.
Old 2012-06-18, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

That's the kind of thing I love to do.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
LOL go look at that thread in the PS1 forums here where NC are whining VS uses numbers to achieve objectives. Kinda like Robo said, "what in the hell you want us to do? Tell our players to sit in sanc so we can make sure enemy have an even fight?" Silly. If you can't adapt to numbers then get out of the way. Improvise, adapt and overcome.
To many it has nothing to do with numbers winning. It has to do with winning by overwhelming numbers and being proud like it was an accomplishment.

It is good to win. It is fine to win with numbers, but practically ghosting continents and swooping in to a pretty close fight and changing the odds to 3:1 THEN go on to brag about it like it was something special?

Yeah that is pretty much on the same level as getting a V-V-B from a dude that jumped out from behind two corner humping scat maxes and got in the last shot with his JH.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
SKYeXile
Major General

LOL go look at that thread in the PS1 forums here where NC are whining VS uses numbers to achieve objectives. Kinda like Robo said, "what in the hell you want us to do? Tell our players to sit in sanc so we can make sure enemy have an even fight?" Silly. If you can't adapt to numbers then get out of the way. Improvise, adapt and overcome.
i dont fear the zerg or zerg guilds, they pad my stats fairly well. Just don't try to play a zerg off as been "organised" because somebody rallied a whole bunch of no pulse retards to the one location.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-18, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
SKYeXile
Major General

No pulse retards? Hmmmm...
Having no pulse is the standard most zerg guilds recruit by.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-06-18, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Wahooo
Captain

So what do you to counter this? Come to forums and whine?
Go look at my responses in that thread pointman started whining about it. I"m a pretty mediocre player but feel like a friggen all star when AT is running a full platoon or if I didn't have other commitments on GOTR outfit night. I say bring it on. Yeah a large enough group of mouthbreathers can do quite a bit. If it is fun, more power to you, I see nothing wrong with it, just as I said being proud of it and bragging about it is simply sad.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Crator
Major General

Boy, you can just feel the love in this thread
Old 2012-06-18, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
i dont fear the zerg or zerg guilds, they pad my stats fairly well. Just don't try to play a zerg off as been "organised" because somebody rallied a whole bunch of no pulse retards to the one location.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-06-18 at 09:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion