News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Punking off EQ fans since '02
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-11, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
The problem seems to be with the scale, in the AS page pics the pattern is barely discernible in the infantry uniforms.
that´s what i think as well. the patterns work great for the vehicles, but most patterns i have seen so far didn´t translate too good on the soldiers.
but i don´t know how to solve this. i think every camo pattern will look better on tanks than on soldiers due to the many many small parts on the soldier models.
but maybe playing around with the scale of the patterns could give better results on soldiers?

on a sidenote: i´m all for infrictions followed by bans for everybody who openly insults devs or their work on this forums in a purely negative way. and those who think they are just using their humour should remember to add emoticons in the appropriate lines. that´s what they are for. you don´t want to make t-ray higby or any other dev mad! i´m happy the devs still write here! there has been some nasty posts over the time...

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-09-11, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Jonny
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
A few aspects of character design (unlikely to change I know)???
A few aspects of character design that struck me as soon as I saw the released screenshots of the different classes all those months ago. (Mainly Vanu)

That being said, some of my worries vanished seeing soldiers in 3D, moving around in the game.(Though as I said I think the animations are good but can improve) I also played as Vanu for the first time last night and the character models looked better than in those initial screenshots.

Ill post up some images and a proper post later to show you what I mean if you're interested, I'm on lunch at work right now.

Its obviously just my opinion on the matter but I'd like to think I have some artistic/design knowledge to back it up.

[EDIT] I'd also like to say that aside from my few concerns I'm not discrediting the modellers/animators at all, (if you haven't already got how I feel about this game from my positive feedback) but want to give constructive feedback rather than just shrug off my instinctive reactions to the designs. The art and modelling in this game is very well done.

Last edited by Jonny; 2012-09-12 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 2012-09-11, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

T-Ray

I just wanted to say that I went from blue to purple. Love the VS look, weapons, vehicles, and music.

When new weapon models/attachments come out, please keep the VS with the glowing guns at night. Its pretty, reminds me of tron legacy....and its just pretty. That 3.4x zoom scope looks awesome at night.
Old 2012-09-11, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
So you know, there is only one camo pattern? the one on the tank is the same one on the character. So the character looks like a 3rd grader did it but the take looks pro? i'm not really sure how that is possible.

As to the progression in Planetside2 the characters dont rank up that way mainly because we wanted the players to have a choice in what he or she looked like at every step of the way.

Sorry. What I meant was that I would have preferred something akin to the far right suit rather than the camo, when I gave the PS1 suits as an example. It's more "bad ass" than the flamboyant camo . Nice to know that the PS1 uniforms will be in PS2 - lots of cool artwork in them!

As other folks have pointed out, it's the scale of the camo that is the issue. On the tanks, they are big swaths of colour, but on the people, they are tiny splotches of colour. The end result is that the tanks look classy and the people look like they are wearing themed pjs.

Size always matters.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-09-11 at 04:40 PM. Reason: I hope that's enough emoticons to appease people...
Old 2012-09-12, 02:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
redback911
Private

Originally Posted by Taru View Post
$40 for $40 worth of station cash plus some other Planetside 2 goodies? I'm sold. Let the "Shut up and take my money!" begin.
Exactly, easy decision! Just purchased.
Old 2012-09-12, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Jonny
Master Sergeant

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ultbehind.jpg/

Very tired, so bear with my rambling..

Though the models currently look better in game than these screenshots, my initial concerns with the models were mostly to do with vanu - some body part sizes. Above is one example where the characters thighs and bum looks strangely small.

I have some personal feedback on the vanu armour too. Its very minimalistic (plus I probably haven't seen customisations) but I like the more plate armour style, like the heavy assault has or as seen in screens of the PS1 Vanu armour. Less Star Trek and more crysis/mass effect style I suppose.

I also think that it would be nice to see that interesting alien green sheen (like a beetles back or the bird image below) on purple vanu armour, rather than just green or purple armour. This seemed to be present in PS1.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/vanubird.jpg/

Just my two cents...as they say.
Old 2012-09-13, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Dagron
Captain

Is the camo already in game? I'd like to see more pics of it, or possibly a video. It just occurred to me that it might not be that i don't like the camo, just the pics that may not do it justice.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-14 at 12:44 AM.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
Raka Maru
Major

Come on Devs, let us wear/use the skins in beta if we already purchased!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion