What is this matrix system? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your official babysitter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-24, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Except that I don't hack bases when I'm by myself. That only serves to bring down a full squad on top of me, resulting in a quick demise every single time. On the other hand, I do hack towers by myself (but I'd be happy to defer the tower cap to any nearby squads ).

No, what I do when I'm playing solo is hang around vehicle/equipment terms, courtyards, woods around bases, and well-travelled bridges. That's where you can rack up the fun kills without being jacked for it. You can also get lots of easy kills in friendly bases, picking off enemies as they hack.

When I am with my squad, I do not generally fight on the "front lines", I go chew up the soft spots instead. If that is restricted by the "continental lattice", then you are all **** (not that there's anything wrong with that ) and I will want to kick Zoolooman in the beans.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Originally posted by Airlift
Except that I don't hack bases when I'm by myself. That only serves to bring down a full squad on top of me, resulting in a quick demise every single time. On the other hand, I do hack towers by myself (but I'd be happy to defer the tower cap to any nearby squads ).

No, what I do when I'm playing solo is hang around vehicle/equipment terms, courtyards, woods around bases, and well-travelled bridges. That's where you can rack up the fun kills without being jacked for it. You can also get lots of easy kills in friendly bases, picking off enemies as they hack.

When I am with my squad, I do not generally fight on the "front lines", I go chew up the soft spots instead. If that is restricted by the "continental lattice", then you are all **** (not that there's anything wrong with that ) and I will want to kick Zoolooman in the beans.
If they take zoolooman's idea, you can go anywhere you want, you just can't hack bases that aren't connected to bases you already have. Sure you can kill lots and lots of people on soft spots, you just can't phantom hack there.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Seer
Major

Nothing preventing you from going behind the front lines, It isn't like there will be a big force-barrier preventing you from doing so--you just won't be able to cap bases.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I must not have been clear. When I am with a squad, we DO cap bases. We DO NOT want to ride to the front lines for yet another Gunuku Zerg Rush.

When I am alone, sneaking thru your territory, I DO NOT want to sit around for 15 minutes waiting for someone to respond to my hack by slaughtering my unarmored ass. I DO want to roast people who don't expect it.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Seer
Major

I think I was clear too--you, either alone or in a squad--can go behind the front lines all you like, but you won't be able to cap bases. I won't get into why capturing enemy facilities behind front lines is unrealistic on its face, since this is a game, but it just isn't in keeping with the philosophy of the game. People shouldn't be expected to actively defend bases behind the front lines on the off chance that you and your squad will show up. That's ludicrous.

One way to keep your squad and others like it from turning the maps into a completely random jumbles is to create a front line. That doesn't mean that every attack will be a gunuku zerg rush, it just means you might have to work with your empire rather than you and a squad setting down in an undefended tech plant, eliminating the 4 or 5 people that come to get you or happen to be in the base, and raking in 3500 exp 15 minutes later, then leaving to do it again.

Last edited by Seer; 2003-04-24 at 05:01 PM.
Old 2003-04-24, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ubernator
Corporal

I am a supporter of the matrix. I think it will help spread out the population on a continent a lot better.

As for hacking behind enemy lines... it's still somewhat possible (with a little planning and coordination).

If you know that an allied squad is about to cap one of the bases on the front lines, you can lead your 1337 squad of commandos into the next couple bases in line. Then your squad can take out the generators, restricting any enemies from respawning there. Once the front lines base is hacked, you can then proceed to take over the base behind enemy lines.

Sounds like fun to me. I can't wait to see how this matrix system will work out for Planetside.
Old 2003-04-24, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

a matrix system is probably the worst thing that they could ever make.... it will force everyone to fight along a single line, and thus have a trench war, fighting hours for every inch of ground.
You want a front war, this will do it, but now no one will be able to go anywhere, it will take many hours and 1000s and 1000s of lives to take 1 base since they know where you have to hit...

Trench wars are no fun, you log in, sit in 1 spot, fire fire fire fire die die die fire... no stragity, no tactics, nothing

Somehting like this can destroy this great game.

Some of you have said nothing will keep you from going behind the lines, yes it will, the point is getting bases, thus you must hit the next base, so you must fight in that spot, if you go around or do somehting else, you will server no reason, and get nothing done.
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."

Last edited by MrVulcan; 2003-04-24 at 05:37 PM.
Old 2003-04-24, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Mabe I have just been getting lucky (or unluckly, depending on how you look at it) but I have been playing for a couple of day now, and have capped many a base. But not one of thoose bases we took, came without some kinda fight. Personlay, I hope this does encourage defence though. Afterall, I can't really rack up the infiltration kills if the enemy doesn't stick around long enough for me to catch em alone.
Old 2003-04-24, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

hmmm....spin.....that could be interesting...

Im a huge fan of the matrix "idea". Anything to keep me from getting to a continent, pushing m, and having a seisure from all the hotspots. The only way to know whos fighting were is to compare current colors and the flag colors, and even thats iffy. This should make it alot more clear as to who ill be fighting and what to bring.

For those who seem to like assualting unoccupied bases, you can still destroy ants and generators, hack terminals, and cause general mayhem in spawn rooms. You wont get much exp....but you can still do it.
Old 2003-04-24, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I just read about the Matrix idea. Sounds pretty cool. I like the fact that it will create some lines of combat. I also like thatt you can still hack bases behind enemy lines (assuming they follow the idea created by Zoolooman). I just can't wait till I see my first seige on a base. I see lots of long term weaponry and heavy armor creating quite a blockade
Old 2003-04-24, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
penpen374
Private

Matrix = Ingenious

They call it the Latice: Here are the patch notes related to it. The other patch notes you wouldnt understand unless you were in beta so I wont bore you with them.
32) Continental Lattice is now in-place. (NOTE: This is only the first installment of changes designed to deal with "phantom hacker", geographic war issues, and incentives to defend. But it has high impact, so we are testing it alone initially.)

In a nutshell, the Lattice lets you determine where you can attack next.

a) You may only hack a facility that is connected, via the lattice, to a facility you already own. (�Hack� links are shown in gold if they are your Empire, grey if they pertain to other Empires. Links between same-Empire-owned facilities are the correct color for that Empire�red for TR, blue for NC, purple for VS.)

b) If, for some calamitous reason, you own NO facilities, anywhere in the world, you can always hack the facilities connected to your secure warpgates at your Sanctuary. (Example: If you are TR, you can always hack Orisha on Cyssor because it connects directly to the TR Sanctuary Warpgate.)

c) To hack into a locked continent, you must own the facilities connected to the warpgate on the OTHER continent first. (Example: If you want to hack ***a on Cyssor, and Cyssor is continent-locked, then you can capture Sina on Searhus first. That will give you a hack link to ***a and you can try to punch the continent thereafter. (NOTE: This makes the lattice truly global in nature so, Commanders�stay aware.)

d) You may hack ANY neutral building, regardless of its position in the lattice. Therefore, ANTs become even more crucial.

e) NTU consumption has been changed. Buildings no longer deplete NTUs while doing nothing at all. NTUs are now consumed ONLY through auto-repair of equipment within the building (terminals, wall turrets, generators, etc.) and respawns. Therefore, if nothing is going on at the facility, it will never go neutral. NOTE: Enterprising squads might try to destroy equipment in an enemy facility with low power, hoping to consume the last NTUs and get the ability to hack the facility �outside the matrix�. This is another way to "punch" a continent lock.)

33) In preparation for some sweeping facility link abilities (in an upcoming patch) some of the existing link abilities have been removed.
- The Amp Station no longer reduces consumption of NTUs by 50%. (This will be replaced soon with the ability to power up vehicle shields.)
- Amp Station no longer increases the size of the SOI when owned. This was as much hindrance to friendlies as it was detriment to drop-podding enemies.
- The Bio Lab no longer causes Medical Terminals to act as Advanced Medical Terminals. (This will be replaced by a more noticeable reduction in respawn timers to all linked facilities.)
- Tech plant still allows advanced vehicles to be purchased at other owned facilities (no change).
- Interlink still adds radar capabilities, but these will be simplified soon to be more understandable.
- Dropship Center will eventually activate all repair/rearm pads at various facilities so vehicles can repair and access inventory at those pads. That feature may be post-release.
- All link abilities (when we're done with the changes, not currently) will show up as icons near the SOI of the building on the overhead map, thus making it easy to, at-a-glance, see what special abilities each facility has due to links

::Taken from the PS message boards::

The matrix system is brilliant, and you can still strike behind enemy lines by making the system loose power and therefore go neutral. Now stop whining, the matrix system has made me go from pretty sure about getting this game to 100% sure
Old 2003-04-24, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally posted by MrVulcan
a matrix system is probably the worst thing that they could ever make.... it will force everyone to fight along a single line, and thus have a trench war, fighting hours for every inch of ground.
You want a front war, this will do it, but now no one will be able to go anywhere, it will take many hours and 1000s and 1000s of lives to take 1 base since they know where you have to hit...

Trench wars are no fun, you log in, sit in 1 spot, fire fire fire fire die die die fire... no stragity, no tactics, nothing

Somehting like this can destroy this great game.

Some of you have said nothing will keep you from going behind the lines, yes it will, the point is getting bases, thus you must hit the next base, so you must fight in that spot, if you go around or do somehting else, you will server no reason, and get nothing done.
Dude that is EXACTLY what I am afraid of. But lets hope it works. If it doesn't they will try something else. We are still in beta after all.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
penpen374
Private

^^To his above previous post^^

Look, it won't be that you can only attack one base. first of all, there will be multiple bases that will be linked in the matrix, so if you own one base, you can attack 4 other ones, so that's already not making you forced to attack one base.

And, as I mentioned above, if a base is neutral, it loses its spot in the matrix. A base goes neutral if it looses power!!! Therefore, a sneaky group could go in, destory a bases power, hack it, and then re-power it. It makes getting a base behind enemy lines harder, but not impossible.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

In addition, I just thought of this. It will also create a "cascade effect" meaning that after a while taking each base is easier for one team and harder for the other.

When they gain some momentem the next base will be harder to hold because you won't have as many advantages that come with taking bases. untill that last base is left you will have everyone trying to hold it and it constantly under attack. and the attackers have an advantage.

Just a hunch.
Old 2003-04-24, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Streamline
Second Lieutenant

It's the whole "line in the sand" thing. I'm very interested how they connect the bases together. Will there be times when you have more than one option? It will be nice to see an end to base hopping.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion