Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2007-01-11, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

My father got hit by a car

My 66-year old father got hit by a car today when crossing the street at a crosswalk. Luckily, it's something he'll be able to fully recover from.

He has broken ribs, a broken knee, a large swollen gash on his head, as well as bruises all over his hands and body. A small blood vessel also popped in his brain which caused complete memory loss for a short period of time after the accident. Thankfully, his memory returned in the emergency room, and the doctors say that the blood vessel that burst likely won't cause any lasting damage because it was so small.

As for the guy who hit him, I don't know much about it. My dad remembers nothing of being hit. I was so furious about it, that when I first heard about dad being hit, I wanted to strangle the guy who did it. But according to my dad's friends he was with, the guy who hit my dad was a silver haired older gentleman, was one of the first to call the ambulance and actually rode to the hospital in the ambulance with my dad, and was apparently very upset and remorseful. He at least took full responsibility for his actions and has apparently cooperated with the police to the best of his ability. Supposedly the street was very busy with construction, there was sun glare involved, and there wasn't a clear view of the side of the street when my dad started into the crosswalk.

This doesn't stop me being angry, but it makes it hard to decide what I feel. If it had just been some teenage punk or drunk or someone who had tried to flee, I could just focus on being angry. It would be easier that way.

As for my dad, he's an amazing man. As he lay on the hospital bed with his broken bones and dried blood stuck all over his head and hands, he asked me to forgive the guy who hit him. Due to his memory loss he had absolutely no memory of the accident or the man who hit him, and I didn't hear from my dad's friends about the driver until much later. Despite this, my dad was asking me not to be angry. He asked me instead to be thankful that he was still in one piece and not to worry too much, since his injuries will heal. He won't take legal action against the guy who hit him. He said that life sometimes has bumps in the road, and that sometimes you just need to deal with them and keep on going.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share with you guys. This whole thing has really got me thinking about shit I take for granted... like my parents. I know some of you are still teenagers and rebellious and hating on the parents and crap, but seriously, remember how much they've been through raising you, and to appreciate what they've done.

Oh, and for fucks sake people... be careful crossing the street.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2007-01-12, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kikinchikin

Re: My father got hit by a car

Wow that sucks. Glad to hear he's ok though. He seems like a pretty stand up guy.
Old 2007-01-12, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Glad he is ok, no need to find someone to be pissed at just listen to your dad and be happy he is around still.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2007-01-12, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Hope he gets well soon.
Old 2007-01-12, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

that sux,well not more than my dad's prob i just heared he had cancer,wich luckily can be healed
Old 2007-01-12, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Guess your father wasn't wearing his +3 plate Armor of Car Dodging.

glad the spry old coot is still alive though. Good thing you don't have to choke a bitch now.
Old 2007-01-12, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

It could have been much worse. Focus on what is positive right now; that your father is still around. Mine isn't and I wake up each morning wishing he could talk to his granddaughter.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2007-01-12, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

OMA... +3 hardly does anything. I have a +5 and it still hurts like a bitch when you get hit. Just kidding arround. That sucks though, glad hes doing well. Its also nice that the guy who hit your dad accompanied him to the hospital, not often that you get people that considerate.
Old 2007-01-12, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
xmodum
Colonel

Hey Electro, my heart goes out to you and your father. Glad to hear he'll make a full recovery.
Old 2007-01-12, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

aww man that sucks im sorry. My dad recently had a heart attack so I know what its like to almost lose someone close to you.

Old 2007-01-13, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by OneManArmy View Post
Guess your father wasn't wearing his +3 plate Armor of Car Dodging.

glad the spry old coot is still alive though. Good thing you don't have to choke a bitch now.
I know, wtf. After I told him that the mobs in Brockport were WAY too high lvl, he went there anyhow.. At least he managed to hold his own versus the level 52 Car of Doom for a while there.

In case you cant tell, im somewhat drunk right now. Myf riends really know how to cheer a dude up. I'm eating a garbage plate form somewhere in Henrietta but I can't reemeber where. I'm just so fuckin glad my dad is in the hospital ok right now and getting better. He's my fuckin hero he really is, most kids don;t want to be like their dad but fuck them, mine rocks, and I'd be happy to be like him some day.

I visited him today and hes doing good. He's not too happy at how long it'll take before hes back to normal. Physical therapy and shit. It's got him a bit down. I wish I could do more but the crazy ol guy refuses to turn on the TV in his room, says he would rather read his books. I guess I'll be busy runnin to the library and bookstore for the next month or so but its ok, hes a good guy.

Alright... gonna finish this garbage plate and head to bed. Need to call dad in the morning and check up on him and stuff, make sure hes got everythin he needs. Thanks for listening to me ramble folks, and once again, thanks for all the friggin support, it rocks. You're a great bunch.

Old 2007-01-13, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

One question; WTF is a garbage plate???

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2007-01-13, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

This is obviously electros word for cock.
Old 2007-01-14, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Forgiveness is the hardest thing you can do, but the one who can forgive, will find peace.

It's happy news your father suffered treatable injuries, and even better that the person responsible is man enough to do the right thing. We all make mistakes in life, some mistakes are small and hurt nothing, some are small and hurt a lot. I think both of them were lucky. Your father in that he has no lasting damage done him, and the man who hit him, he doesn't have to live with killing or maiming someone, because of a mistake.
Old 2007-01-14, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sentrosi View Post
One question; WTF is a garbage plate???
Maybe its a Rochester-only type thing. I've heard of Rochester being famous for our garbage plate but I always assumed that other people knew what it is.

Also known as "the heartburn special", the garbage plate is the most amazing thing you will ever eat when you are drunk.

Take an empty styrofoam carry-out tray. You know, the kind that you get chicken wings in from the pizza place.

Now fill half of it up on one side with fresh, hot home fries. You know, those fried potato bits that you normally have for breakfast.

The other side gets filled with cold macaroni salad. Yep, the stuff you eat at picnics. It's alright to let the fries and the macaroni mingle in the middle, thats sorta the point.

On top of that, you throw a couple hot hamburger patties (hot dogs are another option but the hamburgs are best IMO). You can choose to have cheeseburg patties, which is definitely my pick.

But no, its not complete. Now we dump some Spam over the top of the cheeseburg patties and spread it around a bit. Then get handy with some mustard (I prefer it light on the mustard) and ketchup (me, heavy on the ketchup). Last but not least, you drizzle the whole shebang with some hot sauce. Some places offer a few other options, like onion bits, but I've learned to stick to a pretty plain and traditional plate due to my bad heartburn. Yes, I have suffered some of the worst heartburn in my life eating a plate that had onions in it, but I didn't stop eating for a moment.

Anyhow, THAT, is a Rochester garbage plate. Sounds absolutely disgusting doesn't it? WRONG. Its awesome. On one side, you've got what almost tastes like a fast-food meal. You have the home fries getting shoveled in with chunks of cheeseburg, with some spam, condiments and hot sauce to keep things interesting. Then, on the other side, you have that nice cool macaroni salad to dig into to cool things down a bit. Inevitably towards the end of the meal, your patties are just about gone, and the home fries are gettin it on with the macaroni, and the hot sauce and ketchup is everywhere, and it makes for some interesting texture.

Like I said, if you've ever had a garbage plate when you're drunk, you'll never want anything else to eat when wasted. Rochester has a couple of always-open hot dog places which serve garbage plates, and they're usually packed after the bars let out. Nothing like a whole bunch of drunk people crammed in a little cheap hot-dog restaurant at 2 am shoveling their faces with a sloppy mess out of a styrofoam tray. It gets rowdy, loud, and food ends up flying around, and sometimes there is the occasional fight over the ketchup bottle.

Life doesn't get much better than that. If any of you are ever in Rochester, look up Nick Tahoe's Hots (everyone in Rochester just calls it Tahoes) in the phone book and grab a plate. I recommend getting drunk first for best results.

PS - wow... I just realized how off-topic that all was. Well screw it, it's MY thread.

Status update on my dad, he's doing well, now he's just gotta heal. We're informing extended family of whats happened (which means me telling how it all happened over and over), and it's getting to the point where I wish I could just take dad back home already, but he's going to need the hospital's care for a while yet.

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2007-01-14 at 05:40 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge