What Is the Best Misconception mankind has made? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 80% Entertainment by Volume
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Whats the best Misconception for Mankind?
The world is flat 7 21.21%
The Earth is the center of the Universe(Sun rotates around Earth) 3 9.09%
We didnt land men on the moon 4 12.12%
Remote Viewing by the CIA 1 3.03%
Bush is the antichrist 2 6.06%
eMa is the antichrist 6 18.18%
Other(Please Explain) 3 9.09%
Dunno I just like to Flame and talk Trash 3 9.09%
There is a base on the dark side of the moon 4 12.12%
The Trojan Horse 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2003-01-26, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Toimu,
At the moment of the Big Bang, the universe was at infinite mass and infinite density at the same time. At that point, all of the laws of physics broke down and new ones were created.

Because of this, we have no idea what caused the Big Bang or what came before it. It also means that we can't know, since we don't even know what laws of physics were in place at the time.

Science says "We don't know". Religon says "We can't prove what we know". There's why.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-01-26, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

{BOHICA}mistled,
Yeah I've heard that theory, just was summing it up.

But I don't understand how can laws of physics ever be different. I think it was on such a small scale, far smaller than Quarks, that some people say it was just different laws of physics.

Toimu:
IEDs, SAF, RPGs, & mortars. But only during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The enemy is so poor, they have to keep day jobs

PS Storyline

Last edited by Toimu; 2003-01-26 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2003-01-26, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I honestly don't remember the reasoning behind why the laws of physics would break down at infinite density and mass. It's in Hawking's book brief history of time though. Sorry for being a complete lack of help there.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-01-26, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hijinks
Staff Sergeant

Old 2003-01-26, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Nohimn
Major

I don't care if anyone else beleives in God. I am simply expressing my opinion, just as anyone else would express their opinion about God. People just dislike it when an atheist does it for some reason..... Mr. Rogers did not create God, because in his land of make beleive there was no mention of God. God is a crude way of explaining things.

It's kinda hard being an atheist because you don't want to offend people (I happen to go to a catholic school...), and when I mention that I am an atheist, people ask why. If you do explain, you offend them because you demonstrate the irrationality of God which invalidates all of their beleifs (then they struggle to keep a hold of it for a while). If you don't, they offend you by saying that you don't have a reason for being an atheist.

Old 2003-01-26, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Nohimn
Major

oh, and they bible saying that the world is flat... I'll find that link in a second... and I know science doesn't disprove the existence of God, but it is irrational to call it to existence without proof. And I know that there is an explaination for Molecular Theory (you idiot), I sit through class and remember it, just as I have to remember crap in religion class (see above). It's just that my teacher didn't give me the answers and didn't prove it to me, I was just given info. It was proven, but it wasn't proven to me. I'm not accepting it with the pieces not put together. thanks for the links btw.

Old 2003-01-27, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Nohimn
I don't care if anyone else beleives in God. I am simply expressing my opinion, just as anyone else would express their opinion about God. People just dislike it when an atheist does it for some reason..... Mr. Rogers did not create God, because in his land of make beleive there was no mention of God. God is a crude way of explaining things.

It's kinda hard being an atheist because you don't want to offend people (I happen to go to a catholic school...), and when I mention that I am an atheist, people ask why. If you do explain, you offend them because you demonstrate the irrationality of God which invalidates all of their beleifs (then they struggle to keep a hold of it for a while). If you don't, they offend you by saying that you don't have a reason for being an atheist.
You lost me here. You sound annoyed, or something. Who seems to dislike it that you express your opinon??

Oh, and don't worry in the least about offending me. You don't have a chance at invalidating any of my beliefs, much less all of them. I tried to invalidate them for years before I truly adopted them. It can't be done.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-01-27, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Nohimn
oh, and they bible saying that the world is flat... I'll find that link in a second... and I know science doesn't disprove the existence of God, but it is irrational to call it to existence without proof. And I know that there is an explaination for Molecular Theory (you idiot), I sit through class and remember it, just as I have to remember crap in religion class (see above). It's just that my teacher didn't give me the answers and didn't prove it to me, I was just given info. It was proven, but it wasn't proven to me. I'm not accepting it with the pieces not put together. thanks for the links btw.
Please do show me a verse in the Bible that states the Earth is flat; I would love to see it.

I never said that there is no proof of God. I simply said that science does not disprove God, but neither can it prove God exists. The problem is this. Most humanity believes that they have free will, the right to choose right or wrong however they see fit. Now, imagine the following senario. A supreme being, who is perfect in it's perfection, and who created you and all that you know, appears before you. You would have no choice but to follow this being. Don't even say that you would, because if the beign was truly perfect, you wouldn't. It would be everything you know to be good.
If this senario ever happens, free will is gone. Humanity's choice of how to live would be taken away.

Science cannot prove that God exist because there is no experiment that can be conducted with a repeatable result. It's like saying you want to prove that humans exist by making them do something. We can't even get eachother to do the same thing every single time we want, and yet that is what an experiment would require of God. It would ask a supreme being with it's own will to do exactly what the experiment called for, every time. I don't see how we can expect that. I'm not even sure what experiment someone would even want to conduct.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-01-27, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh yes, and I love how you call someone an idiot after just saying in the previous post that you don't want to offend people.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-01-27, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
chaos1428
Master Sergeant

Personally, I don't know what I beleive. If there is a god, then I think he gave up on us a long time ago. If there isn't a god, well, then that explains alot. People have the right to any opinion they want. George Carlin probably said it best in his discussion of religion.

"I really, really tried. I tried to beleive that there is a god, who created each of us in his own image, and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you. The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize that somehting is f*cked up. Something is very wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime corruption, and the ice capades. Something is definately wrong. This is NOT good work.
If this is the best that god can do, I am not impressed. Resultslike these do not go on the resume' of a supreme being. This is the kind of shit you'd expect from an office temp, with a bad attitude. And between you and me, in any DECENTLY run universe, guy would have been booted out on his all powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say this GUY, because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a god, it has to be a man. No woman could or would f*ck things up like this. So, if there is a god, IF there is, I would think most REASONABLE people would agree, that he is at least imcompitent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a shit."

From George Carlin's HBO special.
Old 2003-01-27, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Chaos, don't get your theology from a comedian.
I've heard this argument many times before and people always seem to forget something. We've been allowed to do with the earth as we will. There is evil in the world and when good men do nothing, evil tends to spread. We haven't stopped bad things from happening, so they continue to happen. If we don't care enough to help ourselves, how do we blame God, who is simply allowing us to live the lives we have chosen?

...Visit {BOHICA}...

Old 2003-01-27, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

I believe anything Microsoft tells me. If Microsoft decided to tell everyone there was a God I would believe them. All hail Bill Gates :O:
Old 2003-01-27, 12:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Revolution
First Lieutenant

I just tried to post at poll, lol. But Rock On, opinions are your own! So shout em out!
Old 2003-01-27, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Nohimn,

If there is a God, you'd never be able to prove it. The entire basis of religion is about blind faith. You have to believe. If you knew for sure God existed, what would you do? You'd just be a good Chrtistian and count down the days until you die and go to eternal paradise. What kind of a life is that, and more importantly, how would you screen people? If even those who'd end up serial rapists and mass murderers were being good citizens, you eliminate any need for Heaven or Hell. Everyone but the stupid and/or misguided would be going to Heaven.

That said, there are things that you cannot explain via logic either. For instance, if matter cannot be created or destroyed, only broken down into its most basic components, where did it all come from? Indeed, where did "reality" come from? Where did the space which we, the stars, and the planets occupy originate from? And whatever answer you have, where did that come from? There has to be an origin to everything, but using logic, there is absolutely no way to explain how this all started. Furthermore, evolution is screwed up. Yeah, a lot of religious people make baseless claims about evolution, but I have an example of something that simply could not have evolved. And that thing is any insect that undergoes metamorphosis. Exactly how does an organism which liquifies itself half way during its life, only to reform into a completely new creature, evolve? It doesn't. There is absolutely no way such an organism could ever evolve. That'd be akin to a human being which, half way through its life, melts into a puddle of biological soup, and from that puddle of soup, reforms into a moose or a bear. It simply doesn't happen. You have the incredible complexity of two organisms needing to be fully functional and able to exist in their environment, coupled with an intensely complex process like metamorphosis. You would literally need to wait for an organism to evolve all over again if it somehow included liquification in its lifecycle, because a species which liquifies itself and doesn't form into anything (that works) is doomed. Every member of that species will likely die. And given the diverse array of species which are capable of metamorphosis... sorry, no way that could have occured naturally. No friggin' way.
Old 2003-01-27, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Revolution
First Lieutenant

lol

I dont always agree with War but his online books( ) are worth reading. He backs his opinions up. Whether you agree or disagree:
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge