Proximity Mines - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Created with Notepad.exe(tm)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-06, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Proximity Mines

I am having to reconsider how I am deploying my proximity mines. I team killed the same guy twice last night, 45 minutes apart, with a bouncing betty. One inside a tower and one at the spawn room at Broken Arch.

I don't want to stop using them, because they come in quite handy at times, protecting two doorways while watching a third. But I also lay them down in a spawn room that is about to go down, and this is the area where I have to rethink.

I'm sure there are many that will flame me for using them in such a way, but I've only picked up this (perhaps) bad habit from a) being blown up myself by proximity mines in spawn rooms, and b) watching other players do exactly the same.

So, what I am doing here is garnering your general opions on the use of proximity mines...

cheers

andy
Old 2014-02-06, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Re: Proximity Mines

No it is, or was a perfectly valid tactic and great for lols...even funnier, throwing an EMP at an enemy spawn before it's about to flip and seeing guys like you TK everybody =p

I say was because now if you try to put explosives in the spawns they blow up. Seems like another way to cater to nubs who cry about how they die. I can't remember the last time I died to explosives in the spawns.

Speaking of this, and the fact that we were discussing hatetells in another thread. I found out the hard way when I tried to drift over an enemy spawn and C4 a burster max on the roof. My c4 blew up when I dropped it and killed me. So, I went back after him with drifters and dropped 2 c4 on his head but he still wasn't dead, even though they both basically exploded right on top of him. So, I got lucky and finished him off with the sweeper.

Here's where it gets interesting. He starts sending me terrible hatetells about what and how he's going to do to women in my family, daughters(even though I have no daughter) etc. I troll the guy with my usual "lolowned" or whatever and he goes into a massive rage with details I won't even bother with. After a while I start to turn it on him, and say things like "<3 just get better and deal with your anger". He starts to show another side, and finally to get to the punchline, he tells me he's playing from prison by court-order to deal with his homicidal tendencies and that he's sorry about what he said earlier. Lmfao I highly doubt that is true, but I've heard crazier stories. I mean, I guess people play games from prison.... honestly idk, and this guy was one of the more graphic and angry trolls I had ever dealt with.
Old 2014-02-06, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Interesting tale there dood, LOL. I suppose the time to worry is when someone like that says, "and I know where you live."

So, you said "was," and that makes me think... when did they change this, because I could have been sure that I was killing peeps in spawn rooms as recently as last week, and I was wondering if it was something that was brought in with this latest update (even though nothing was mentioned).

Shame that... I always thought is was funny when, having been pinned down in the spawn room for four minutes with tanks, MAX's and air menaces that peeps would then bowl into the spawn, to finish off the stragglers and I'd sometimes get two of them

I've even been blown up when spawning into a newly captured base, something I don't do any more, but by the sounds of it this won't happen any more. Still worth waiting a bit though, I think.

I might give this a try - Place a BB on the external walkway around the large spawn rooms and see what happens when it flips. I know that you suffer when you try to walk along those walkways when not of your faction, so I'm wondering if it will detonate a mine...
Old 2014-02-06, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
wobblyone
Private

I didn't think you could TK with mines, either proximity or AT. The only way would be if an enemy detonates them with a team mate close by.
I've not tried the spawn room tactic as by that stage I'm well gone
Old 2014-02-06, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by wobblyone View Post
as by that stage I'm well gone
LOL, by and large, so am I...

I may decide to head out into the wilds with my cloak on, just before the point flips but I'm not generally that "brave."
Old 2014-02-06, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

Simple rule: if you put a prox mine in an area with lots of friendlies, you will likely kill some of them when the enemy triggers the mine. Prox mines have a large radius. This is why it is fun to run into a group of enemies and drop one. You kill two or three with one mine (and oftentimes yourself) but it means less enemies for you squadmates to clear behind you.
Old 2014-02-06, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Falcon_br
Captain

Hotfix February 6, 2014

Patch Notes
Zone crash involving vehicles
We’re still working on another known zone crash as well
Removed an incorrect entry in the cert tree that would cause players to lose 1,000 certs if selected
Lost certs will be refunded in the scheduled update next week
Potential fix for a small amount of players who are missing certain particle effects

PS: I still get a lockdown game during the first character I log in on that day.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2

Last edited by Falcon_br; 2014-02-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2014-02-06, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

I never preemptively lay down prox mines. I save them for when I know someone is chasing me then drop i around a corner or inside a door frame.
Old 2014-02-06, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
oosik
Sergeant

It is quite recent, last week I believe. This applies to teleport rooms as well. Any explosives you have in or very near a teleport room will explode when the teleport room turns to the other empire. Don't waste any more resources.

Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Interesting tale there dood, LOL. I suppose the time to worry is when someone like that says, "and I know where you live."

So, you said "was," and that makes me think... when did they change this, because I could have been sure that I was killing peeps in spawn rooms as recently as last week, and I was wondering if it was something that was brought in with this latest update (even though nothing was mentioned).

Shame that... I always thought is was funny when, having been pinned down in the spawn room for four minutes with tanks, MAX's and air menaces that peeps would then bowl into the spawn, to finish off the stragglers and I'd sometimes get two of them

I've even been blown up when spawning into a newly captured base, something I don't do any more, but by the sounds of it this won't happen any more. Still worth waiting a bit though, I think.

I might give this a try - Place a BB on the external walkway around the large spawn rooms and see what happens when it flips. I know that you suffer when you try to walk along those walkways when not of your faction, so I'm wondering if it will detonate a mine...
Old 2014-02-07, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Cheers for your input guys.

I'm no longer laying mines in spawn areas. As you say, don't waste resources.

Out of the seven betty kills last night, only one was a TK. I think some TK's are still inevitable.
Old 2014-02-07, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Falcon_br
Captain

I have no ideia why my patch notes is here and not on the patch notes topic I created.

I don´t know when they changed the mines exploding on respawn room, I know I still get some from my claymores.
But much less I got before they changed it.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion