News: Firing Line PlanetSide 2 Concerns - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't say warez. Warez are bad.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Firing Line PlanetSide 2 Concerns

http://www.planetside-universe.com/n...cerns-2726.htm
Old 2012-03-25, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Firing Line PlanetSide 2 Concerns

I am concerned about long term objectives but having experience with games that have no vehicle exit/entry animation, I consider it no problem not to have the animation. If a guy bails from a vehicle, kill him. If you are in an aircraft and you force the enemy pilot to bail, that's a victory even if he escapes you. It's not a duel to the death simulator.

Now I know there are more aspects to this than simply people bailing out of vehicles, but how about simply making it so that people who drive vehicles are given a sort of "Crew Kit" that leaves them with a relatively modest rifle and no grenades, no heavy armor, etc? That way, people that bail from vehicles, it's not like they can then continue to run around as MAXs or anything.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Same as everything else. People are worried because people really WANT PS2 to be a massive blockbuster.

All we can do is wait til beta, see how SOE's ideas play out with the community, then watch as tonnes of changes occur as part of community feedback.

The game they present in beta will be far from the game we see at eventual launch. Something people need to remember right now is that beta is NOT launch, it worries me that people are seemingly acting like it is.

There will be huge changes between beta release and launch, all we can do is voice our pre-emptive concerns and give their ideas a chance in beta. If they work then great! If not, don't worry, they'll change.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-25, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Same as everything else. People are worried because people really WANT PS2 to be a massive blockbuster.

All we can do is wait til beta, see how SOE's ideas play out with the community, then watch as tonnes of changes occur as part of community feedback.

The game they present in beta will be far from the game we see at eventual launch. Something people need to remember right now is that beta is NOT launch, it worries me that people are seemingly acting like it is.

There will be huge changes between beta release and launch, all we can do is voice our pre-emptive concerns and give their ideas a chance in beta. If they work then great! If not, don't worry, they'll change.
I'm accustomed to DICE/EA and BF3, which means, waiting for beta means if it makes it to beta you will have to scream your head off to get it changed and it still may not change. Hopefully SOE isn't like that!
Old 2012-03-25, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bazilx
First Sergeant

We should have continent domination/locking! Long term goals up in here!
Old 2012-03-25, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

"The Point"

Theres deep lore behind what were doing there on Auraxis Besides what do you expect there to be?. If you play another one of these FPS games all you get is 15mins of a map and then it resets sure your stats and gun choices you unlocked carry on with you, but so do they in planetside. I honestly do not think you Understand what planetside is at all sir.

And am pretty sure that Hibby never said there will never be animations he just told us it would take another 6months off release date. that being said 6months is a long time for a F2P witch will only make its money though a cash shop.

I Honestly believe some people just have to nitpick about the first thing they see. and yeah am waiting for one of our own people to trash my post but IDK have fun.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I'm accustomed to DICE/EA and BF3, which means, waiting for beta means if it makes it to beta you will have to scream your head off to get it changed and it still may not change. Hopefully SOE isn't like that!
That's because their beta is a crunch time bugfix and demo before release. PS2 beta won't be 1 week of poorly organised nonsense.

If it doesn't last at least a few months I'll be surprised.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-25, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Entry/Exit animations, the number 1 bought thing in the shop for sony-bux post launch.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
Entry/Exit animations, the number 1 bought thing in the shop for sony-bux post launch.
I don't understand why people would buy animations...to me this is a balance thing first and foremost. People don't want infantry retreating into vehicles to escape gunfire, or insta-bailing out of vehicles and denying a kill. Note that I don't agree with these reasons and don't think we need animations for those reasons, but who would buy an animation for immersion that's going to get them killed if the game doesn't force the animation on them?

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Something like WW2OL's campaigns would go a long way to providing some meaning.
Planetside and WW2OL aren't that different in game world except that WW2OL is one contiguous landmass and PS is not. Also I'd say Planetside has resources where WW2OL does not. I too would prefer a larger contiguous gameworld, it would also reduce the need for shards/servers.

One thing that I really like about WW2 OL is how the airfields are quite far away and you have to fly for a good distance to get aircraft to the front line.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-25 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
That's because their beta is a crunch time bugfix and demo before release. PS2 beta won't be 1 week of poorly organised nonsense.

If it doesn't last at least a few months I'll be surprised.
i agree. BETA will at lease be active for 6 months.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Graywolves
General

You win/lose when you successfully hold a base and drive the enemy off. If you give the argument that it just gets taken back then that's just part of it being a persistent world, it's not like you're going into matchmaking and getting the same map 3 times in a row. When you're fighting over the same base again, there is context as to why.

I like how he put in that enter/exit animations was something that Planetside's peers didn't have. Hopefully they come in later.
Old 2012-03-25, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
dachlatte
Master Sergeant

the only valid point he made about entry/exit animation is immersion. you coud circumvent the delay in ps1 by entering the vehicle and then pressing the hotkey for the map("m" by default) twice and off you go.

and whats up with his concerns for the "long term objectives"? makeing new friends and havin a blast with them, character progression/stats and building a reputation isnt enough? i mean the core concept of the game is an endless war. what does he expect?
is there even any other game with "long term objectives" whatever the hell he means by that?

the game is 100% pvp. players are the content. if he wants any meaningful long term goals he has to set them himself.

it seems the whole point of his article was to create drama

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Old 2012-03-25, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
xASUSx
Private

well do you want ps to come out soon or 6 months from now! that is how long it will take to get the animations in the game.. we dont need them.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by xASUSx View Post
well do you want ps to come out soon or 6 months from now! that is how long it will take to get the animations in the game.. we dont need them.
I really doubt we'll see it released in less than 6 months anyway. I'm leaning toward beta in a month or two and release at the end of the year.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by xASUSx View Post
Why do people keep talking about immersion ? The article mentions how animations affect gameplay:
"And I know what some of you are thinking. Gameplay is all that matters, and who cares about goofy things like immersion, amirite? Well, the entry/exit animations had a tangible effect on gameplay as well, since they basically prevented players from instantly taking control of a vehicle and escaping a bad situation. The delay affected the pace of battles both large and small, and it added one more tactical consideration that made PlanetSide less of a game and more of a virtual world."

Animations may not be needed but I think a timer is necessary to prevent the cheesiness of instant entry/exit. That does not take 6 months to implement.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion