Realism in PS compared to PS2?...... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Giving is better than receiving, especially with grenades.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-10-02, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Realism in PS compared to PS2?......

Now one of the great factors for me in PS was this...........

The realism of it all, how no computer aided spazz made the game feel like you were not part of a bigger team of ordinary people, just like myself sitting at a PC having some fun. fighting a war, and that never left the game.

Nothing took you away from the first person eyes of your character, and I mean nothing.

Now I have a feeling that PS2, will take you into views that only a computer could handle, making the experience seem.........

Well erm computerish!

And that folks will be a big shame! (PS fans - 0, PS2 creators - 1,)

Morto.
Old 2011-10-02, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GTGD
First Sergeant

Re: Realism in PS compared to PS2?......

...except for the "T" key which enabled 3rd person mode

Also, wouldn't a techno-religious nut job like yourself WANT things to be more computerish?
Old 2011-10-02, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
...except for the "T" key which enabled 3rd person mode

Also, wouldn't a techno-religious nut job like yourself WANT things to be more computerish?
Oooohhhhhhhhhhh here we go!

The T key gives you an area of view for all "people" that fits nicely alongside what I would currently feel walking the streets. Only 2 of your main senses are working while playing a game, sight and sound, and maybe touch with the mouse and keys). But when "in real life" you walk the streets everything is working, sound, sight, smell, knolage of an area, knolage of the folks who live there and many, many other things. The third person view gives you some of these without making it seem out of place.

Now you tell me.................. what is a kill cam and how it works? You tell me, how would the Vanu even attempt this tech?...... Its out of the question, you could not do it. Nothing is available now, or ever will be that can show you the person who hit you. Ok maybe from a small distance, but not from the barrel of his gun. and these are the kind of changes that PS2 are bringing to the table that I think take you away from the realisation of PS.

I know it has been mentioned before, (the vehicle animations) but come on they were a very important part of the subversive experience of the game. And I think the 3rd Person view is the same, giving you more, but not to much. Maybe this should only be available;e outside, im not sure. But it helps in a massive world. With lots going on.

Also if the tech fits in, like it was a part of the history of the game, then ill love it. But not if its out of thin air, like the kill cam.... come on!!!!

morto,
Old 2011-10-02, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I have no problem with the kill cam, and I love the fact that they're getting rid of 3rd person view. Not many things in PS1 were as annoying as wall humping Jackhammer users camping towers.
Old 2011-10-02, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

about all these kill cam threads posts
Old 2011-10-02, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Sorry to burst your bubble... PS2 is in fact, a game.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-10-02, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Surge72
Corporal

And you should never ever say 'never' when it comes to possible future technologies.
Old 2011-10-03, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
I have no problem with the kill cam, and I love the fact that they're getting rid of 3rd person view. Not many things in PS1 were as annoying as wall humping Jackhammer users camping towers.
Isn't that what thumpers are for?
Old 2011-10-03, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Nothing took you away from the first person eyes of your character, and I mean nothing.
Yup, this here is what we call a factual statement.
No third person vehicle passenger views, vehicle entrance animations, no third person button...

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-10-03 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2011-10-04, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I don't possess the "knolage" to fully comprehend what this thread was originally trying to say. I know he mentions "subversive" play .... where I would have referenced "submersive" or "immersive" play. I'm a little lost.

We're discussing "REALISM" ? Right ? They say you can see threads in your uniform stitching. Sounds like realism to me. We all LOVED PS1. It's the common theme that brings us to PSU.

I expect I'll miss some elements of the old game. I'm telling myself to keep my mind open. I expect different. T-Ray in his interview referenced PS2 as being more appropriately titled "PlanetSide Awesome" in his mind. I hope so.

SOE should retrofit PS1. Add a lot of AI population so the old guard who can't let go can go back to PS1 and relive it .... over and over and over ..... exactly like they want it and remember it .... but actually even BETTER. Each empire plays agianst the other 2 empires which are all AI (purposefully flawed and easily powned).

People who are afraid of change should be given access to "PS1: Nostalgia Unlimited".

I hope I like PS2. I think I will. I hope I love it. I'm going to give it plenty of time to improve and win me over. I hope these guy actually deliver us PlanetSide Awesome. Fact is - we all have different tastes, preferences, and expectations.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-10-04 at 11:36 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion