PlanetSide Universe
PSU: wang on tap
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-17, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Cyanide
Major

10 megabit is as fast as cable internet can go. So if the modem supports that speed, then it will be more than good enough for you. You'll probably never see anywhere near that kind of speed.
Old 2004-01-18, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Phaden
Contributor
Major

You want an OC25 or mult T3's Ok a T1 is 800 a month. T3 substantially more. An OC25 i cannot even fathom a price and it would all be handled typically through AT&T or another LARGE firm. Im gonna have to call shenanigans if you say that you are really intrested in any of these, as this is teh wrong place to look.
Old 2004-01-18, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ait'al
Contributor
General

If i can ever afford it. One day i say! If im ever rich. Im just going ot start with that one though i think. It had an RF female conector. I thought that was a cable one? Its been along time since ive played with cables but...

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-18 at 05:06 AM.
Old 2004-01-18, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Ait its not the modem that controls the internests speed its your cable company, cable modems work with different bands than the cable tV signals do so you can't watch TV with it, unless a company have a server that you can go to to download the video. And you would have to have lots of money to have an oc25, or even a t1

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-18, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ait'al
Contributor
General

CAble companies have software or whatever to use the signals on pcs man. Unless they all got rid of them. And i want a bigger modem so i can hook several things up through it. Not just my internet line. And cable cable tv is just a dead singnal that comes throught the line man. Im not talking digital cable service. Thats why tv receivers are so cheap, you just need something that can turn it into a picture. Cable tv receivers are not exactly high tech things man.

Either way tv signals are not that intensive. You could get tv through your computer back before the pentiums existed. All you need is a modem with the right connecter and a peice of software to emulate a tv if thats even needed. You can always just use it dead to your moniter, but you wont get any real control over it, not that that doesnt require a little software to tell it to go to the moniter like a tv basically.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 2004-01-18, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Its a router that you want then, not a modem(well you need one of those too). A router will alow the internet to be put though a LAN to your computers. All that goes though a cable Modem is internet you don't get anything else out of it period, thats that.

You don't need any software to use cable net all you need is to coinfigure your ethernet adaper right.

I know about getting TV to my computer, infact i'm watching the History channel right now. You can't get TV though your cable modem to your computer/monitor, you either need a TV tuner card, a cable to CRT thing that i have never seen or heard of (that doesn't acctualy go though the computer just the monitor), or a video card with TV in.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum