A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's retinal, not rectal!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-25, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Re: A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
More like 1.1 games, considering literally everything aside from stat files would be identical. Balance is not easy, but its also not a very labor intensive job. There are plenty of quite balanced mods out there that are mostly done by one or two people. Theres several people on this forum I'd feel confident could handle the task of reshaping the combat to a different dynamic.

So.. the community as a whole decides which they prefer, and thats supposed to strike one as a bad thing? That would be awesome.
Nah it would definitely be two radically different games, and SOE doesn't exactly have the manpower for that. Maintaining separate stats is one thing, but you'd also have to squash twice as many bugs, and just think of the multitude of small changes that were made in each PS1 patch. With a "classic" mode, you'd almost double the work when patching, as well.

I see your point as far as balancing small mods, but PS1 has an immense number of facets to balance, and the butterfly effect generated by changing one single weapon's damage is a balance nightmare. There's no way you really think one or two guys could balance every aspect of PlanetSide in such a small timeframe.

As far as your comment about letting the community choose between "classic" and "new" servers, I think the devs and most of the community realize that it's time for PS to be overhauled. PS1 is amazing in it's own right, but we're ready for a completely new game that revisits the excellent "universe" of PlanetSide while simultaneously bringing so much more to the table. I am totally psyched about everything that the PS2 team has touched on thus far.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-25, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I wonder if it's possible to respond without actual arguments and use this sweet emoticons instead.

usually my babble is worth just as much anyway.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
I think the devs and most of the community realize that it's time for PS to be overhauled. PS1 is amazing in it's own right, but we're ready for a completely new game that revisits the excellent "universe" of PlanetSide while simultaneously bringing so much more to the table. I am totally psyched about everything that the PS2 team has touched on thus far.
What forums have you been reading? Including/not including nearly every facet of potential combat mechanics has been argued over. Location-based damage is controversial on these forums!

(I agree with you about the direction things are going being good)

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-25, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Jetpacks are also controversial, for reasons that completely evade me. FFS they were on VS maxes...
Old 2011-07-25, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
What forums have you been reading? Including/not including nearly every facet of potential combat mechanics has been argued over. Location-based damage is controversial on these forums!

(I agree with you about the direction things are going being good)
Haha, yep, while there is certainly some heated debate on the forums, I think most people agree that sticking with a "classic" mode (same old TTK, stale gameplay, BFRs) is a bad idea. I was simply stating that it's good to see things moving forward

-HC13
Old 2011-07-25, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
but you'd also have to squash twice as many bugs
Literally the only thing that would need to be different are the weapon and vehicle stat files, which are trivial to alter.

I see your point as far as balancing small mods, but PS1 has an immense number of facets to balance, and the butterfly effect generated by changing one single weapon's damage is a balance nightmare. There's no way you really think one or two guys could balance every aspect of PlanetSide in such a small timeframe.

You realize that hardcore mode in bad company 2 is quite popular, and is an extremely simple set of changes. Damage is doubled, no reticle, no minimap. Thats all that is different from the base game. People still like it.

I'd bet you good money that you could take PS, double the damage of all weapons and halve the heal/hack/repair/respawn times, and some players brand new to the game would generally like it, and think the slow game is kinda crap. The balance they will prefer is the balance they are used to. Even if the relationships are imbalanced, they'll accept them to a degree because it is what it is.
Old 2011-07-25, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I would love for PS2 to be popular enough well into its release for something like this to be able to happen. I would probably play on the HC server. I'd be even more likely to play on it if my characters were mirrored between the servers. If there were large enough populations to maintain the truly massive element of PS2 then it would be great.

With a less optimistic opinion though, I doubt it would work or be a benefit to the unity of the community at launch.

There was talk in the dev panel about eventually merging all servers into a single shard server like EVE Online. If you had HC and non-HC servers that would be really difficult.
Old 2011-07-25, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
I would love for PS2 to be popular enough well into its release for something like this to be able to happen. I would probably play on the HC server. I'd be even more likely to play on it if my characters were mirrored between the servers. If there were large enough populations to maintain the truly massive element of PS2 then it would be great.

With a less optimistic opinion though, I doubt it would work or be a benefit to the unity of the community at launch.

There was talk in the dev panel about eventually merging all servers into a single shard server like EVE Online. If you had HC and non-HC servers that would be really difficult.
Hopefully they are smart enough to not do that. Point&click moved ships with autotargeted abilities in comparison to free movement with more dimensions and usually more people in the same place than in EVE, not to mention latency being a way bigger factor in an FPS game...

The idea could do nothing but fail Well, it's not too bad currently with just one server (playing from EU myself), but it would be a stupid decision as long as theres population for diff servers on diff continents.
Old 2011-07-25, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Literally the only thing that would need to be different are the weapon and vehicle stat files, which are trivial to alter.

You realize that hardcore mode in bad company 2 is quite popular, and is an extremely simple set of changes. Damage is doubled, no reticle, no minimap. Thats all that is different from the base game. People still like it.

I'd bet you good money that you could take PS, double the damage of all weapons and halve the heal/hack/repair/respawn times, and some players brand new to the game would generally like it, and think the slow game is kinda crap. The balance they will prefer is the balance they are used to. Even if the relationships are imbalanced, they'll accept them to a degree because it is what it is.
a face based game isnot all about TTK, look at Unreal and TF2 yea you can be instantgib and killed rather fast but most of the weapons require serveral shots. Its more about the runspeed and movment and also the gametype rather than TTK. you up the TTK in planetside, based around domination objectives all you will see is camping, and to counter that camping people will spam whatever does not need LOS to kill...eg maelstrom, thumpers, frags PLASMA or they will push in max suits so they're not instantgibbed when attempting to push into a lobby.

And like people say, hardcore isnot that skillful, it all does is mean you can spray and pray your 30 rounds, maybe hit one shot and kill something.
Old 2011-07-26, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Seems like a lot of people have already forgotten that there used to be more than 1 server.
Old 2011-07-26, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
Seems like a lot of people have already forgotten that there used to be more than 1 server.
True, but there were only three servers shortly after... then two... then one.

Last edited by Soothsayer; 2011-07-26 at 09:12 AM. Reason: erroneous "it"
Old 2011-07-26, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
psychosiszz
Private

If we have a hardcore server Perma death (1 life) and full loot have to be in. Also it should only take 1-2 bullets to kill another player.
Old 2011-07-26, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Can anyone enlighten me on this whole perma death mechanic? I do not see how this would work in a FPS especially one with a hardcore mode. What are the chances of even leveling the char at all when you die from one bullet? If you die are you blocked from ever going back to the server? Sounds like a massive camp fest.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Hopefully they are smart enough to not do that. Point&click moved ships with autotargeted abilities in comparison to free movement with more dimensions and usually more people in the same place than in EVE, not to mention latency being a way bigger factor in an FPS game...

The idea could do nothing but fail Well, it's not too bad currently with just one server (playing from EU myself), but it would be a stupid decision as long as theres population for diff servers on diff continents.
You do realize EVE has had major lag and latency problems right? It has a lot of animations going on and actually demands a lot of performance from your computer. Plus alliance PVP battles are massive im talking hundreds of ships and POS stations and what not.

@ EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT CAMPING

How can anyone complain about camping in a game where your there to defend territory?? You do understand when you dig in and fortify a position to defend it you have to camp it. If you want a game that doesnt support camping PS2 will not be your game. I plan on holding my ground, finding some cover, and digging in or camping as you put it.

Last edited by cashfoyogash; 2011-07-26 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2011-07-26, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

There is a huge difference camping a corner getting easy kills vs defending a base for tactical reasons.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion