Simplified PlanetSide - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you still look up here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2010-04-20, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tikuto
Major

Simplified PlanetSide

Pick up a weapon and shoot.

I liked this alot about PlanetSide. I felt I can get into battle no problem though the Suppressor isnt particularly a weapon of choice; players barely use it. While there was balance and always will be with these particularly sorts of MMOs, it is most appreciated to understand that the balance is a SOLID balance.

A solid balance reassures a player's confidence and enjoyment, allows an easier learning of the game and bases the game more around player-skill (point n click) rather than perk-skill ("Skill Tree gives you +100 damage buff").
By solid balance I mean all equipment attributes and values do not change by leveling-up your character or having Skill Tree points. All equipment values are fixed and do not change by anything, exceptions for tactical variables. Players know the balance about the game yet still able to customize themselves with different equipment and arsenal. Tactical variables are exceptions by game design (like PlanetSide1 Implants give player special abilities, Heal Module change health value, etc...).

Last edited by Tikuto; 2010-04-20 at 10:24 AM.
Old 2010-04-20, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Simplified PlanetSide

One of the key things about PS that raises it head and shoulders above the rest; at least in my eyes.

A new player should have an equal footing against a veteran when it comes down to pure weapons and armour.

The only difference between a veteran and a new player should be actual player knowledge of the games systems and environment.
Old 2010-04-21, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vancha
Colonel

I agree entirely. A BR1 and a BRXX should be on equal footing if they have the same equipment and have the fight decided purely by skill (and luck to some extent too, I suppose).

Having said that, I also think that there should be more equipment available to experienced players compared to newbies in the form of unlockable items (comparable to the HSR). One of the flaws of planetside was having nothing to do upon reaching BR20 CR5. Merits helped that somewhat, but there wasn't much incentive to collect them beyond bragging rights. I think having things you can unlock that are different, but not more powerful, would be a good addition.

Take weapon mods as an example. Add a scope to your gauss and get closer zoom+increased accuracy at the cost of rate of fire or add an extended clip and get 8 more shots at the cost of accuracy. The idea being that you could change the dynamics of your weapons slightly without making them more powerful.

Would this kind of thing go against your beliefs on equality between newbies and veterans?
Old 2010-04-21, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Not for me as long as for every enhancement there is a drawback and/or as long as everyone has the option of upgrades (I think BFBC2 is doing it quite well; MW2 went too far however).
Old 2010-06-22, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I haven't seen many problems with attachments in MW2, excluding the omnipresent noob tubes.

Personally, I think the 'bonuses' for reaching a high BR should have absolutely nothing to do with the way your weapon fires. The change in armor color, was in my opinion, the best way to separate the veterans from the nubbies/reserves, without affecting the gameplay in the slightest. Perhaps adding a slight MMO aspect; character customization, where you can get a different helmet, body armor, gloves, boots, or hell, even a different visor color.

Or, if the creators were feeling generous at the time of programming, award a free month of membership to someone achieving the highest BR rank. This would provide an incentive, though I suppose it wouldn't serve as marketing, because it's assumed you need a membership to reach the higher BR ranks
Old 2010-06-23, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I would like to see a few changes when it comes to rewards.
  • BR should be about further versatility.
  • CR should be a support certification tree which unlike the others is earned through commanding AND cert points.
  • Merits should unlock attachments to weapons/vehicles, like silencers, smoke launchers; the order of which is decided by the player.
Old 2010-06-25, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sifer2
Major

CR probably should not give cert points. Or then you would have everyone fighting to take command even though they really have no interest in being a good leader. CR shouldn't give you anything but the ability to lead better. The idea of being able to send a message to more players over the chat channels was good for example. But should only be reserved for players who are currently holding high ranks in the sequel not anyone that grinded it out for kicks.

As for getter better stats an what not. A straight boost to your character with no draw backs would be bad an kind of ruin Planetside. But I could definitely see more versatile equipment choices. Weaker than noob gear in some respects but stronger in others. Of course while it would be fun the more of this stuff you add the harder it is to balance. But IMO its worth it if it can give people more of a long term character progression since it will make people play it for longer which is good for keeping the game alive.
Old 2010-06-25, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

No no, CR wouldnt give you cert points, but you have to spend your cert points to access command rank, rather than having it free once you earn it.

Everyone could earn CR1 as they do currently.

Then you would invest the 3 points to earn up to CR3.

Then you invest a further 2 points to earn up to CR5
Old 2010-06-27, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

That's assuming you have to earn the CR rank first, then invest the certs in actually gaining the benefits of the rank?
People shouldn't be able to join the game as a CR5 just because they feel like wasting certs
Old 2010-06-28, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Exactly; everyone earns up to CR1 as they do now, then if you want to get to CR2 or 3 then you need to pay 3 certs, but you then only get the perks of CR2 or 3 once you have earned them.

Same for CR4 and 5, requiring a further 2 point investment.
Old 2010-06-29, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Yeah, I was also thinking of a cert branch of vehicles that required a command rank.

Something like an AMS, except for it increases the abilities of a commander near the vehicle

*gets notebook*

Right. Perhaps, when you deploy this vehicle (CEV for Command Enhancement Vehicle) it gives you a map, with a bunch of different options on it. One, a map that has different shading depending on friendly concentration and enemy concentration. Also, a map that shows terrain (forgot what the real name is topographical?) that you can draw on to test out battle plans.

Something like that, to make commanding more than just grinding your CEP and OSing people. Where you have to invest certifications not only in rank, but to be able to call in the OS's, or chat globally.
Old 2010-06-29, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Something like this:

The Command Vehicle is a vehicle that has sacrificed one of its medium weapon slots (see my vehicle hard point system) to equip a Command Uplink. From within the vehicle the Commander can assign missions to his platoon or squad, use his CUD, request reinforcements and send general orders to his troops.

If the commander is using a Command AMS he can also control Camera Drones from the Command Vehicle to get an overview of the battlefield and direct his platoon using RTS style controls.

The vehicle Command Uplink can only be used by a leader with a command rank of 3 or above, while the Command AMS itself is availble for an additional certification point for commanders.
Old 2010-06-29, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I really like the idea of incorporating a lot of different game types into planetside 2. The FPS portion is obvious, and an RTS 'mode' could easily be incorporated for commanders telling their units where to go. RPG i suppose could be NTU driving to refill bases that are in use. Pretty much, the more you offer the more people are gonna play
Old 2011-01-27, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tikuto
Major

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
I really like the idea of incorporating a lot of different game types into planetside 2. The FPS portion is obvious, and an RTS 'mode' could easily be incorporated for commanders telling their units where to go.
Everyone wants to be in the thick of battle. Being an NTU carrier is an incredibly boring responsibility. You can immediately understand that all "RPG" gametype roles will be no better.

Ways to make NTU running more exciting is to have it take from enemy's silos and be an aerial vehicle. All supportive "RPG" gametypes need to be responsive and be not boring-slow.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-01-27 at 01:03 PM.
Old 2011-01-27, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Tikuto View Post
Everyone wants to be in the thick of battle. Being an NTU carrier is an incredibly boring responsibility. You can immediately understand that all "RPG" gametype roles will be no better.

Ways to make NTU running more exciting is to have it take from enemy's silos and be an aerial vehicle. All supportive "RPG" gametypes need to be responsive and be not boring-slow.
I'm going to disagree with you a little bit. There were alot of times when making an ANT run was incredibly fun. For example, it's a large battle and resources are running low, and you have to charge an ANT and drive back to the base, totally unarmed mind you, and survive without being seen by the enemy. Dodging reaver rockets, and tank shells while manuevering through the trees could get real instense. Then if you make it, you are the big hero, especially if the NTUs were at 10%.

It was a good change of pace from time to time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion