Just A Thought..."TK BackFire" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nevermind...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-12, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SuperBallz
Corporal

Just A Thought..."TK BackFire"

Just A Thought On A TKing Note. Does Anyone Think Implimenting A Backfire Method to Friendly Fire Would Help Deter TKing And Promote "Player Awareness"(Know Where Teammates are). And Stop Angry Tking.

BackFire Would Subject the Shooter to full damage that he inflicts on a friendly while the player getting shot takes 1/4 of the damage normally taken.

So If player 1 has full health, and player 2 has full health, then player 1 decides player 2 stole his kill and shoots him with a shotty. By the time player 2 is at 3/4 health player 1 is dead. This Includes SquadMates, But May Be 1/2 damage taken by shooter.

I know this will cause problems with people crossing ur LOF, but it goes back to know where ur players r and communication. Thus better tactics.

And Cuts the Senseless TKing While Waiting Or A Base Cap.

Just a thought.
Old 2004-02-12, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
BlackDrop
Contributor
Sergeant

I don't think adjustments should be made. Shooting someone who you thought stole your kill is unacceptable in my opinion. You are all there for one purpose..defeat and drive back the enemy. Stats are just icing on the cake.

I hate tking yet embrace it. I hate being nailed by ignorant idiots waiting for a hack to go through...but I like tking because it gives the game a real life feel:
1. It makes you more careful in battle
2. You actually have to aim at your enemies without trying to hit friendlies. That's why I love the backdoor base defense. You have a very narrow corridor and have to take care not to hit your backup while trying to take out enemies rushing in...the heartbeat factor is high on this one!

If I ever tk someone in a battle it is always an accident and I always send a /tell apologizing about the incident. It makes you more careful in battle and If I get tk'd in battle, I don't get upset...I wtf...and brush it off as an accident. I do appreciate a /tell when I've been the victim of a tk and let that person know it.

My outfit frowns upon its members tking...and for good reason. When you get in the middle of a tk battle:
1. Parties involved never know when to quit.
2. You stop paying attention to your surroundings: Now your vehicle has been jacked or a cloaker snuck past and the base you've been holding for 14 1/2 minutes...has just been resecured. (I've seen it happen more than once)

Last edited by BlackDrop; 2004-02-12 at 07:27 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 2004-02-12, 07:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

The idea is an intersting one, but it shouldn't be implemented. For one, I don't think friendly fire should be punished with damage to the person who committed the act. The whole point of trying to prevent friend fire is so people on your side don't get hurt, but this system would indeed injure someone: you. It'll also discourage players to take risky actions, such as storming a base. I mean, who's going to make crowded assaults when the greatest danger is not from being hit by an enemy, but accidently hitting a friendly (and thus yourself). I think crowded attacks like that are fun, and everyone involved has accepted that there is a risk of being hit by a friendly and are okay with that.

That said, I think the current grief system is doing a decent job for now. Players regularly note that if they're not careful, they can easily rack up the grief very quickly. That makes regular TKing very difficult, so it doesn't really happen that much (that is, the TK story someone tells is an exception to the normal happenings in PS).
Old 2004-02-12, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Riyu
Private

I don't think this idea will fly. It would allow people to grief one another too easily.

Example: If you see someone you don't like, just run through his COF and he'll die.
Old 2004-02-12, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
ORANGE
First Lieutenant

I have idiots cross my lof fairly often so they can get ahead of me and kill* more people and I end up accidently tking them. This would uber suxors for me and to everyone else that this happens to because then some guy with a n00bhammer who can already kill me with one shot wouldn't even have to turn on triple fire to kill me. Thats all I have to say.

* I say kill in a mocking tone because more often then not they end up running into either friendly fire and get killed or a stream of lasher/jackhammer fire and get killed before they themselves can kill anyone.
Old 2004-02-12, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
JakeLogan
Major

I wouldn't like this to be implemented. I don't know about the other servers but on emerald we got friendly idiots that try to kill the gen in a secured base. so to keep an idiot from doing it. I have to kill them. I am often on gen defense during a hack to keep idiots from trying to damage the gen for lowering the NTU so their squad can get more exp for using an ant.
Old 2004-02-12, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Sounds like Call of Duty to me. I don't like the idea and as it stands now, the grief system is good as of now.

Old 2004-02-12, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Well I don't particularly care for this idea, but I still think grief should have a more harsh penalty. I would like to see grief connected to respawn time. Add 1 second of respawn for every 10 grief you rack up. This would represent the empires lack of hurry to get such a lousy shot back on the battlefield. On my worst grief day of playing, in 12 hours using a thumper with plasma I picked up 300 grief, which would have me respawning 30 seconds longer than usual every time until it went down. Frankly I don't understand all these players who are always complaining that they are one accident away from weapons lock. To me they are more dangerous to our empire than any other and I would prefer they go join another one.
Old 2004-02-12, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

The worst grief i've seen is with a Pounder and taking fire and firing back and the infantry running in front of me. It seems the longer it takes to kill a guy, the more grief you get.

Old 2004-02-12, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SuperBallz
Corporal

Thanks was just wondering, Just a thought.
Old 2004-02-12, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tannim
Private

It's not popular position, but sometimes TK is nessesery. Like when you've hacked the base and some idiot runs in and begins to blow the hell out of the gen. You've asked him to stop 3 times and he keep going.

*BANG*

He's dead. And our troops can now continue to use hacked terminals while waiting for the hack to come through.

Under this proposed system: he lives, I die, we lose access to the resupply terminals.

Like it or not, TK is a nessesery part of the game.
Old 2004-02-12, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
illusionz
Private

I dont like it. sometimes in the heat of the battle accidents will happen.
Old 2004-02-12, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

This sounds like a pretty good idea, but I think they just need to give out more grief points.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion