Dropping/destroy armor? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than sex.....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think?
"Drop armour" function 15 75.00%
No "drop armour" function 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-02-10, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
hazzer2007
Sergeant Major

Question Dropping/destroy armor?

Wouldn't it be a good idea if you could drop your armour (to the basic 50 points) if there were no weapons terminals around so you could get into vehicles? I saw a VU tank hacked under NC : ncrocks control but I was in the wrong armour, and they needed a driver, and there wasn't any terminals around to change armour (I was in exo 200 points), when I changes to normal armour, they left it and deconstructed it. You can drop/destroy weapons, why not armour?
Old 2004-02-10, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Sure good for my Jackhammer and I would have an excuse for using standard + JH + surge

But seriously I think it would be a good idea.
Old 2004-02-10, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Interesting idea, and a good one. There should be no reason why you couldn't shed your kevlar vest and body armor, to hop into the smaller cockpited vehicles.

:bigthumb:
Old 2004-02-10, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jagd
Major

No, because it would be unbalanced. The tradeoff for having significantly increased protection and double the killing power, is that you can't just jump in and drive most vehicles.

You want infantry killing power? Get a ReXo. You want to drive a superpowered tank around with more armor than 20 foot soldiers? Plan ahead and wear your agile. My main character hasn't had rexo for months, because I realized that being unable to pilot a vehicle whenever I wanted (and without a trip to a terminal) was too much of a liability. I'm not suggesting everyone should make the same decision, but I do think the way its set up is stacked well in the favour of rexo users. You can get an ATV, Harasser, Buggy or Skyguard if you can't remember to choose the right equipment favourite. I mean, you can gun in every single vehicle while wearing rexo now, there is no need to do any more favours for those with twice the firepower and twice the armor as the rest of us.
Old 2004-02-10, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

No, please no, i don't want this to turn into Everquest.

Old 2004-02-10, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mazzic
Corporal

It is a good idea.

Would be good to be able to dump Max Suits as well.
Old 2004-02-10, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The devs have leaked info that would indicate that one could store their heavy infantry armor in a vehicle trunk, etc.

Not too far-fetched.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-10, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

The catch to droping armor would be that you're now in spawn armor and you need to get to an equip term to get back into reinforced. There needs to be a timer(like hacking) to take off armor so people dont just dump their reinforced once it gets down to 50 armor in combat so they can get more speed.
Old 2004-02-10, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Perhaps if you had to sheath your weapon and remain motionless for three seconds in order to ditch your armor.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

Old 2004-02-10, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

I think dumping your armor is a good idea for a MAX suit. And I think a Rexo should be able to pilot/drive any vehicle. The trade off for the Rexo then? It's the 3 cert points you invested. At the very least a Rexo should be able to drive any ground vehicle. Maybe just restrict aircraft to Agile or lighter? Even that is lame to me. You bought the suit, you should be able to wear it.

As for it being overpowering... the agile+surge+HA is just as deadly if not more... so spare me that dead argument...

Personally, I think the restriction is an annoyance and unnessissary.
Old 2004-02-10, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Jagd
Major

Well make it so all armor can pilot all vehicles, or leave it the way it is. Personally, I don't think tank gunners should be in rexo, but maybe its just me.

Vehicles = ultimate power in Planetside.

You shouldn't be able to operate the most vicious weapons in the game, and then hop out when your ride is smoking and have the best of the infantry world at your disposal. This is more of the super soldier phenomenon that a lot of you types say you're against.
Old 2004-02-10, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Jagd
This is more of the super soldier phenomenon that a lot of you types say you're against.
I see your point and it makes good sense. But, I've never really feared an enemy rexo over other armors. A MAX on the other hand makes everyone think "oh shit" and scramble for their AV weapon of choice. I mean think of a worst case scenario... a rexo/mosquito combo hot drops on the tower roof... um, so? I mean when a MAX is outside people curse when some goober opens the door and let's him in... He is the big bad wolf huffing and puffing outside. The rexo is more like a yipping poodle that everyone rushes to engage.

So to my way of thinking it�s not a power/balance issue. It�s an issue about alleviating an annoyance to the game. Frankly, it�s just a pain in the ass to have to make all those extra trips to equipment terminals. The limit is and should be the cert cost of the armor. You bought it? Then you should be able to wear it.
Old 2004-02-10, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd rather that my entire opposing force be composed of MAXs.

Surely, that must say something about the lethality of rexo grunts.

edit: MAXs that could hack doors, if you must. The point is: they can't Surge around with Heavy Assault weapons.

Old 2004-02-10, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Veteran
I'd rather that my entire opposing force be composed of MAXs.

Surely, that must say something about the lethality of rexo grunts.

edit: MAXs that could hack doors, if you must. The point is: they can't Surge around with Heavy Assault weapons.
You gotta be kidding me. When a surging rexo ha comes after me, I kill him. "Problem" solved.
Old 2004-02-10, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I tend to see three types of soldiers...

1: The MAX. He's big, mean, and slow as a Hooked on Phonics student with epilepsy.
2: The grunt. He's not so big, but he's mean, and he can whip out a weapon that's perfect for killing you.
3: The support personnel. He's fixing something, despite the fact that nobody cares that he ever lived, and will die as soon as most of the player population realizes he's alive. You may never understand the cryptic motivations behind a support trooper, but chances are one of the spawn tubes, turrets or vehicle terminals that you've used has been thanks to one of these support monkeys.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion