Cloak Disengaged... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: but our princess is in another castle
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-28, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kelduum
PlanetSide 2
Stats Guy

Cloak Disengaged...

Hi all, it's probably about time I introduced myself...

I'm Kelduum, and one of the two dedicated "Stats Guys" working here at SOE on PS2. I'm English, and wear a fedora and TR colours.

Some of you may recognise my name from somewhere (I pretty much always use the same name for gaming) and played as TR on Emerald way back in the PS1 days. A few of you may recognise me from EVE Online, as I used to run "EVE University" for a good few years, which is pretty much the de-facto newbie corporation there.

Most recently, you may have seen the stats in the recent press release which is something I pulled up for our marketing people, and I also make reports and graphs and so on for the designers and others, showing various statistics about what's going on where, with who, using what, in what vehicle, and so on. In short, if it happens on Auraxis, I can see it.

That however doesn't mean you should all message me and ask for stats (I'm not going to hijack stuff from our awesome marketing & community people), or complain that "this thing that killed me is OP, and should be nerfed" (I don't change things, just provide the data to the guys that do).

So, "Hi all", its nice to meet you.

PS: John, you should really be more careful with those grenades, you keep hitting friendlies.

Note: This forum post reflects the personal views and opinions of me only. It does not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by SOE in any way. No conclusions should be drawn from any statistics posted, as 97% of statistics are made up on the spot. Valid at participating spreadsheets. SQL void where prohibited. This does not affect your statutory rights.
Old 2013-03-28, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Cloak Disengaged...

Hello stats guy.
Old 2013-03-28, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Red Alert!
Developer decloaking off the starboard thread!

Oh nevermind. It's just a fellow fedora wearing, I've got a wool felt myself, Terran Republic soldier. Welcome to PSU Mr. Stats Man!
So you're basicly the closest thing we have to an omniscient being in Planetside 2, looking forward to reading some of your input.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-28 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2013-03-28, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Assist
Contributor
Major

Welcome! Does this mean you'll support/destroy some our arguments with actual stats?

this could be a bad thing...
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-28, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kelduum
PlanetSide 2
Stats Guy

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Does this mean you'll support/destroy some our arguments with actual stats?
Maybe.

The problem is that pretty much any stats relating to PS2 are open to interpretation in some way.

As an obvious example*, I could say that the NC "Boomstick" Shotgun does more damage than the VS "PewPew" Shotgun, but the VS weapon fires more frequently and has a shorter reload time, and they may be suited to different situations.

Assuming I can present them in a way that isn't open to interpretation, and get the okay to post the info, I will do.

Just don't ask me which things are better than others, as the answer is usually "it depends".

* this is all entirely made up, as its an example.

Note: This forum post reflects the personal views and opinions of me only. It does not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by SOE in any way. No conclusions should be drawn from any statistics posted, as 97% of statistics are made up on the spot. Valid at participating spreadsheets. SQL void where prohibited. This does not affect your statutory rights.
Old 2013-03-28, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

No conclusions should be drawn from any statistics posted, as 97% of statistics are made up on the spot.
97%
That's not the number I heard. I question the validity of this.
Old 2013-03-28, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you here. Also, nerf the VS pewpew gun!

EVE University was awesome - great work there! I see you were on the CSM also!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-28, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Welcome! Does this mean you'll support/destroy some our arguments with actual stats?

this could be a bad thing...
We don't need no numbers! They lead to math.
Nothing good ever came from math

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-28, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kelduum
PlanetSide 2
Stats Guy

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
That's not the number I heard. I question the validity of this.
Caution: Some rounding may have occurred during transit.

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I see you were on the CSM also!
Still am on the CSM in fact, at least for the next month or so. It makes things... interesting.

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
We don't need no numbers! They lead to math.
Nothing good ever came from math
Math is bad. Instead I like to use graphs, ideally with at least 2 axis's and 3 colours.

Old 2013-03-28, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
lllSilencerlll
Private

So the stats guy is on TR...

Excellent.
Old 2013-03-28, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
ThisGuy
Private

Originally Posted by Kelduum View Post
Math is bad. Instead I like to use graphs, ideally with at least 2 axis's and 3 colours.
Bite your tongue, statistician! You're worse than those filthy applied mathematicians!

In seriousness though, I hope you do get to share some statistics, graphs and numbers with us. I do enjoy numbers relating to my games.
Old 2013-03-28, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Kelduum View Post
Still am on the CSM in fact, at least for the next month or so. It makes things... interesting.
Nice. Seems like it would be interesting

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-28, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Hello Kelduum. Long time EVE player here (former co-ceo of PlanetSide Defense Union, back in like, what, 2003?). I most recently came from a stint in Red vs. Blue because I needed to get my PVP fix, so I'm quite familiar with EVE University. Though, in all seriousness, one of the main reasons I joined RvB was to teach newbies things, so I can relate to EU.

Anyhow, I hope that you will, in true CCP style, inject more graphs into everything we hear from the dev team. We all know Smed is a big fan of EVE too so I can see why he would want to hire a statistician from that community.

I've said it multiple times before, there's a connection between EVE and PlanetSide in a way I've never been able to describe. They are completely unrelated games and yet again and again I find people who are passionate about both.

Welcome!

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2013-03-29, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
Hello Kelduum. Long time EVE player here (former co-ceo of PlanetSide Defense Union, back in like, what, 2003?). I most recently came from a stint in Red vs. Blue because I needed to get my PVP fix, so I'm quite familiar with EVE University. Though, in all seriousness, one of the main reasons I joined RvB was to teach newbies things, so I can relate to EU.

Anyhow, I hope that you will, in true CCP style, inject more graphs into everything we hear from the dev team. We all know Smed is a big fan of EVE too so I can see why he would want to hire a statistician from that community.

I've said it multiple times before, there's a connection between EVE and PlanetSide in a way I've never been able to describe. They are completely unrelated games and yet again and again I find people who are passionate about both.

Welcome!
Electrofreak, I second that. I too am of both communities (Similar character names too ) There is a connection. I'm passionate about both games myself and enjoy creating music and art inspired by both. Got some art into Eve (alliance logo).

MOAR spreadsheeeeeeeets!

Oh, and Scitor Nantom says: Long live the Minmatar Republic! (even though I'm a nullsec criminal)... Broken Toys Alliance!

Oh and a few of my contributions to the Eve community:
http://www.voicesfromthevoid.net/201...do-zombies-say

http://tech4news.org (Site dev)

http://eve.tilt180.com (Site dev + Art and Roleplay blog)

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2013-03-29 at 07:14 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-29, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kelduum
PlanetSide 2
Stats Guy

Originally Posted by lllSilencerlll View Post
So the stats guy is on TR...
Just to make it clear, I'm more interested in making sure the game is balanced and fun, than having TR conquer everything.

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
...I hope that you will, in true CCP style, inject more graphs into everything we hear from the dev team.
I'll do what I can!

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions