Underwater expansion - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rejected your quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-07, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Cheetah
Private

Underwater expansion

Okay, this is definitely way off for any serious consideration to have at game launch.

I just thought, surely resources are to be found underwater as well, so realistically, with the sci-fi technologies, why wouldn't the factions try and mine these?
Imagine then, underwater physiques (buoyancy control with down- and up drift), underwater bases with accessible dry interiors, underwater soldiers, transport subs, fighter subs, neuron-controlled c4 duct taped dolphins(!), and what else could be thought of?
Then to link it with the ground game that is; ships, water platform bases, water-to-land units, water-to-air units and vice versa of course, and again what else?

It is of course a huge expansion I'm talking about here, just had to vent the idea, as I personally would find it dripping sweet!!!
Old 2012-06-07, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
AssassinGT
Private

Re: Underwater expansion

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Okay, this is definitely way off for any serious consideration to have at game launch.

I just thought, surely resources are to be found underwater as well, so realistically, with the sci-fi technologies, why wouldn't the factions try and mine these?
Imagine then, underwater physiques (buoyancy control with down- and up drift), underwater bases with accessible dry interiors, underwater soldiers, transport subs, fighter subs, neuron-controlled c4 duct taped dolphins(!), and what else could be thought of?
Then to link it with the ground game that is; ships, water platform bases, water-to-land units, water-to-air units and vice versa of course, and again what else?

It is of course a huge expansion I'm talking about here, just had to vent the idea, as I personally would find it dripping sweet!!!
I was thinking this as well, and also many other things, like airship bases where you need aircraft to get up there. I think it would be fantastic to have underwater and high altitude fights. Really give a shuffle to the fighting.
Old 2012-06-07, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zekeen
Major

Don't know how hard it would be to add, don't care how hard it would be to add.

Underwater would be awesome, one way or another. Probably a bit difficult in some things, but would be awesome.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cuross
Master Sergeant

I have always imagined planetside with naval battles, but underwater will have to come after they get the overwater right :P I actually wonder about how they would work in a few marine "continents", but basically that would just be a waterfilled normal continent, haha. Admittedly with a lot more "aircraft" swimming about.

It's a good idea to keep asking questions about, I'm sure the dev's have already thought of this, but first comes ships, then comes underwater expansion
Old 2012-06-07, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Fortress
Sergeant

This is a wonderfully terrible idea.
Old 2012-06-08, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cheetah
Private

Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
This is a wonderfully terrible idea.
Scared of water, eh...
Old 2012-06-08, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
AssassinGT
Private

Technically they'd have to redo an entire set of vehicles and gear for everything to get it to polish into under/over water. It would be cool none the less, and I'd be much more inclined to support it than another BFR expansion like in PS1
Old 2012-06-08, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
neuron-controlled c4 duct taped dolphins(!)
... or sharks with freakin laser beams! Mmm, OR:

I'd love underwater environments, be them as big as a whole new "continent", large just off the coast oil rig type bases or even as small as underground flooded complexes.

Now, let the hunt for TR october begin!

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-08 at 07:09 AM.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

Id definitely love the underwater thing, and yeah sharks with laserbeams pls lol. I think submarine battles would be a trip. even add in the outfit bases as a giant carrier ship. Seriously so much they can do with this since the have forgelight, still cant believe this game is real, kindve blows my mind at times with the possibilities.
Old 2012-06-08, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Cool Re: Underwater expansion

I think the idea of an underwater base is a possibility, but the implementation of underwater combat is too far fetched. It's inevitable that they will introduce some sort of caves eventually and the underwater base concept would be similar in layout. Surface warfare (water) is more of a possibility though, as a compliment to the current game systems.

They could create a base along the coast, in a bay or estuary, or perhaps something akin to a drilling platform with a shaft that went a ways underwater into an underwater base.

I'm sure most people will probably think of something like Rapture from Bioshock, or maybe Otoh Gunga from Star Wars, but in my opinion that's setting the bar WAY WAY WAY too high. That would entail the need for underwater vehicles and all sorts of other stuff that's just not going to happen any time in the next 5 or 10 years.

Here are some pictures of something that might be a little more realistic. Think more in line with the Ark from Brink, or maybe take some underwater base concepts and imagine them at the surface. They've made bio labs already, and they are certainly similar.

If they ever did introduce surface naval combat, it would be prudent to start with something simple like a combat boat. Something that required a driver and perhaps a couple of crewmen for gunning various weapons which could be fired on shore. An additional implementation could be a variant which was used to transport personnel, maybe a full squad, so that you could transport troops and attack from the water..

This would add another layer to the game, so that you could attack from air, land, and sea. The only downside is that if they do introduce some boats/ships, unfortunately, they will only be useful on certain continents. Not to mention the Vanu will likely just roll tanks and utterly destroy everyone.

It at the least creates the possibility that they could create some bases on the water as a sort of "port" base which allowed you to spawn water vehicles. That would definitely give everyone something else to fight over.

Just an idea.

Last edited by Zolan; 2012-06-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 2012-06-08, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
WVoneseven
Corporal

Just think kamino or any of the other star wars water planets!!! that way there is above sea, surface and submerged depending on what you want in terms of pace!! the structures could work as multi-leveled with entrances bellow sea and above.
Old 2012-06-08, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MightyMan
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Underwater expansion

Yes. Yes Yes Yes. YES YES YES.
I think this would make the game one of the first games to have some kind of naval/underwater warfare aspect. I mean, as cool as aircraft and tanks would be in PS2, they would be just as cool as any of their counterparts in other FPS games. Speedboats/submarines/warships/aircraft carriers/"scuba diving" /amphibious tanks/water bases, would all be pretty much original delivering a different experience, unlike any other FPS game out there.
Now I am not saying that it should be released at game launch, though it would be cool to have it as an expansion (probably with the introduction of new "naval" continents with water areas, other then the boarders, with water bases and stuff OR just saying that now the factions have discovered that water is not solid and that they can dive in it, so they started building new bio-labs and resource collecting bases, basically just expanding the water area (at the borders) and putting some underwater bases in there.) even an year later or something to bring a new and exciting thing to the game, an experience that cannot be experienced in any other FPS.

Last edited by MightyMan; 2012-06-08 at 02:37 PM. Reason: The preview have deceived me.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault