Submerged Infantry-Only Bases - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Those [opposing team] [units] need to be nerfed!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-01, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xenostalker
Corporal

Submerged Infantry-Only Bases

Submerged base.

Possible environments:
-Ocean
-Lake (large enough to incorporate a base)

Purpose:
-Infantry
-MAXes (Added)

Misc.
-Prevents squad spawn via drop pod

Expanded discussion:

While there are zones that support a ground force encounter, there has yet to be a situation or scenario where it is legitimately 100% limited to infantry (and maxes). While Planetside is about the massive warfare (and I play it for just that reason), it would be appealing on a gameplay level to have 1 or 2 situations per continent where it is a pure foot battle. No aircraft raining death from above, and no tanks camping open corridors or front doors.

It would allow players who enjoy that close-quarter combat to do just that, without the threat of a Vanguard getting in a lucky shot at some skewed angle.

A submerged base is about as ideal as it gets to limit a battle over a base to an infantry-only encounter. Also, it would be pretty cool to be inside a glass dome-like courtyard peering into the deep blue.

To keep things realistic, it would obviously have to be some kind of science facility or something. If we're talking a base similar to the concept art below, any opposing force could simply destroy it with mediocre explosives and leave it at that. There needs to be a mutual demand from the factions (purpose) for taking such a base on foot.

http://webecoist.com/wp-content/uplo...ities-main.jpg

The base design would have to be done in a careful manner. Everyone should be familiar with the AOE-explosives-camp-this-hallway-shenanigans that goes on in most FPS games, especially any involving CQC. My personal vision of a submerged base in Planetside would have an enourmous central courtyard (think glass dome, science vessel type deal) with corridors that lead to the nearest land, maximum of 3 or 4 separated enterances. Ascending or descending into the base could even involve the new jump-pad mechanics in some situations. Control consoles would be in seperate sections of the base which are separated by miscellaneous rooms for creating combat space and progression chokepoints (but large enough to prevent AoE camping). SOE would obviously take all of these misc details into consideration and design it as seen fit.

Last edited by Xenostalker; 2012-07-23 at 11:52 PM.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MasterMind
Private

Misc Info
Re: Submerged Infantry-Only Bases

Only if it has windows and a giant octopus swimming around outside

On a serious note, I LOVE this idea. I'm not too sure about not letting MAX units spawn in there though. I cant think of a reason "lore wise" for them not to be able to spawn in.

I can see this coming in an expansion being a segway into naval combat. Possibly giving naval crafts the ability to dock into a "back door" of the base
Old 2012-07-01, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

this must be done
Old 2012-07-01, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

Love the idea, but MAXes aren't so OP, they should be in there too.

I support the idea of a submerged base! Would not be too hard to put in if you ask me!
Old 2012-07-02, 03:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

+1. So long as its not a total choke fight.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cuross
Master Sergeant

And only if I can shoot the windows out of one room and drown everyone inside! Grief points maximum!

I can actually see this turning into something akin to the base fights in PS1, though. Corridor fights and a few wide areas. Not that I'm totally against these kinds of fights, I do hope that they have at least a couple bases that are a throwback to them, but that's what I feel this could be :P And vehicles and aircraft won't be totally useless in this fight, I suspect that they will be a very helpful support structure for any force attacking or defending the base topside before anyone gets in ^^
Old 2012-07-05, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

This would be awesome! I think MAX units should be able to spawn and come inside, though, maybe through only one of the hallway/entrances. Also, infantry could push down the entrance hallways and activate something inside the base that expands the hallway so MAX's can fit.
Old 2012-07-05, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I like it. I know we'lll see naval warfare at some point, but the idea of fully utilizing the ocean space goes above and beyond the ambitions this game already has... which is awesome.

First we need swimming, or a new "Aquatic Assault" class that can swim. Right now, Auraxians just don't try to swim. Underwater walk of shame for anyone who finds themselves submerged.
Old 2012-07-05, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Can we call it Rupture? And yes, I am absolutely behind this idea. Always building underwater cities and bases in Minecraft. Yeah. Geeky.
Old 2012-07-07, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
+1. So long as its not a total choke fight.
That's the only issue I foresee, the designers would have to be very careful about that.
Old 2012-07-07, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BeastBuster
Private

I love this idea. It would be really cool to fight underwater. The visuals alone would be fantastic. Might even have a claustrophobic feel to it.
Old 2012-07-12, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Oktarnash
Private

This is a good idea, it would add the possibility for water craft, problem is it might be too clutered to fight in.
Old 2012-07-13, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
DukeTerror
Private

To avoid the choke-hold cramped feeling, I'm seeing a base of multiple big and small domes, a few with spires above the surface all connected by multiple tunnels so with that each has several choke points to divide and cover. May even been open underwater bays (or automatic airlocks) you can swim up into, that is if underwater swimming is possible, making no angle really safe from approach. Would be cool to see the heavy assaults and MAXes (as they all seem to have breathers) swiming/walking across the underwater floor. A ton more animations to make however as well as the game mechanics of it all.
Old 2012-07-13, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dubious
Sergeant

Copy the umbrella corp layout
its a underground base tho, but nearly the same and its huge..
Old 2012-07-13, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sikee Atric
Private

Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Copy the umbrella corp layout
its a underground base tho, but nearly the same and its huge..
That was my thought....

You could make bases like this now, by drilling it into a mountain and making it the film-style NORAD bunker.

Add a vehicle hanger with multiple, tunnel entrance points and then lower levels that are infantry only, with several foot tunnel access routes and you have a complete nightmare to defend or attack....

With the vehicle tunnels it would be great to control as well as the owners could drive straight through the mountain rather than having to go around.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault