If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, Vanu don't shoot like girls! Girls are way better.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-05-30, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


If we're going to do a continental map, I would suggest removing the rotating geowarps and fixing them in place, bring back old Oshur using this lattice setup:





In this setup, all continent links can be easily rotated, you have three home continents and campaigning is easy. Events could be done by linking one of the home continent links to one of the battle islands and removing the other three from the lattice for a short time.

As I recall, everyone liked it back then, even Beady was considering implementing it before he left SOE.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Some other things would be designing bases around the holes in the map (since we couldn't edit the maps without having to re-seed all the trees due to lack of a proper editer, but we can edit the objects on the map).



Some other things for caves and battle islands:

Battle Islands:
Change BI rules to the standard rules.

Caves:

At minimum:
- Add Skyguard to cave vehicle spawn list

Though preferably:
- Remove all aircraft from caves. Caves without Mossie farming would be fun. With Mossie farming it's just an annoying campfest all the time.
- Redesign Redoubt, Mod and AT buildings to provide less exposed and disconnected ways to get to the top.

Last edited by Figment; 2014-05-30 at 06:02 AM.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SArais
Corporal
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by Effective View Post
I'll start with this one.

1. Then we can work on making vehicles more customizable, no reason to keep the BFR just because of that. And yet you complain it has no established role.
2. Plently of vehicles are mobile Not to the extent of the BFR
3. No Yes
4. Tanks have power. So do aircraft. And infantry. And mechs.
5. Not a valid reason It kinda is.
6. So do every other vehicle in the game, BFR's encroach upon the niche of a well established vehicle Yes, all vehicles have a tactical use, but none are as adaptable or flexible as the BFR. The BFR is prehaps the one who can opt to do one job really well, or tackle multiple jobs at less effectivity.
7. Yes, the weapons that can pierce it take forever to kill it. That's why you aim for the shield gen. This is a TEAM game we're talking.
8. Silly mechanic So that means Certs and taking bases are also silly mechanics.

I would be alright with keeping BFR's if the shield was removed That's the entire point of it. No shield = weaker than a lightning. and the armor was buffed. And get rid of a unique concept? AND the Flight variant was removed. I'm sorry, I'm busy jumping over your head and raining death down upon you. Sorry you're butthurt and can't counter it. Remove the AA/AI weapons while you're at it. So basically just a reskin of the ES Tank? No thank you.
Honestly. Stop breaking something further.

We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.

Last edited by SArais; 2014-05-30 at 06:27 AM.
SArais is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


SArais, the BFRs never really worked BECAUSE they did something different from the other vehicles to the point it was hamfested in. That isn't an Unique Selling Point when their uniqueness breaks gameplay for other things.

If you change the rules for BFR to be more like the other vehicles, just with different stats, then they'd always been fine.



You're actually using "Sorry, but I want my I-win-button" as an argument. If that's the extend of your argument, you have no place in any discussion about balancing, because you're not interested in balance, just in pwning people.

In a MMO, you don't add I-Win buttons to pwn people. This isn't a single player game where you as an individual have to be glorified. Your personal interests aren't more important than the interests of other players. As long as you can't see that, you're not someone who can be reasoned with, or should be argued with. If your entire argument is about self-interest at the expense of others, you're just going to be ignored by people with an interest in the gameplay of everyone.


So suit yourself. Either you compromise and discuss constructively, or you'd get yourself ostracized automatically.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Effective
First Lieutenant
 
Effective's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by SArais View Post
Honestly. Stop breaking something further.

We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.
1. Go back and actually read what I posted. Because it wasn't that.
2. False.
3. No, "Morale" doesn't make fucking sense, it's not a valid reason for BFR's being a good idea.
4. So I'm glad that we established that your 4th point isn't really a reason at all
5. No, no it isn't.
6. Thank you for pointing exactly what the problem is. Being a jack of all trades is not a good thing for the game. That's why BR40 was such a terrible concept.
7. By the time you've broken the shield generator, the BFR's teammates should have killed you. See I can use the team argument too.
8. No, that's not even close to the same thing. Good try though.

BFR's don't have a place in Planetside. If you want to go play mechs, they have multiple mech based games out right now.

When you try to do player balance. Fun in using something is a must, but not just that, it needs to be fun to play against. BFR's are anything but fun to play against, they're the 3rd most annoying thing in Planetside in it's current state. Their needs to be decent counterplay. The methods of killing a BFR efficiently ultimately only exist under 2 conditions. Retarded BFR pilots and solo BFR pilots. Solo BFR pilots fit under the 1st category. So dumbass BFR's who forget that being in a group essentially makes them only kill able by greatly superior numbers or a really well placed
OS.
__________________


My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 09:00 AM.
Effective is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
SgtMAD
Captain
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


as you can see by the posts here that trying to "modify" PS for everyone is never going to work.

this BFR shit is pure crap, its one of the additions to PS that did the most to kill the game off and we still have ppl making the same stupid arguments that were made back when BFR's were just a twinkle in some dev's eyes.

if you want Mech warrior then go play it and leave PS alone PLZ
SgtMAD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hehateme
Private
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
Trust me this is a bad idea. Besides the fact that it is pointless, it will divide the community. Look at Quake/CS in their respected primes. Quake 3 had CPMa(best)/vq3/osp/ra3/Freezetag/insta/.... list goes on. CounterStrike had 1.everything till 1.6 was established competitive mode. All these community splits were based off of minor changes.
Originally Posted by SArais View Post
We're obviously never going to agree on these things. Split it into two servers, Those who want everything in CC and BFR, and those who don't.
Oh God, it's happening! This kind of attitude split the quake/CS communities, two games with a much, much bigger playerbase. IF Planetside were to ever released as an Open source, we need 1 server. Anymore would cause everything to fail.
Hehateme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
angelphantasma
Private
 
angelphantasma's Avatar
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


applicable:

__________________
angelphantasma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Babyfark McGeez
Captain
 
Babyfark McGeez's Avatar
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


As i wrote earlier in this thread, i don't think it's a good idea to fiddle with the mechanics too much. Especially since nobody seems to agree on what would be the best "fiddling".

Fixing the bugs (maybe old br cap and pre-bending world ontop of it and a poll on BFRs) are all very basic things that most people seem to agree on. Anything further will just end up fracturing the small playerbase we got. Two servers would mean two empty servers.

Also once again, i don't see PS1 going open source happening. I would love that, sure, but making it completely free was allready beyond my expectations from a major studio like SOE.
Babyfark McGeez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Effective
First Lieutenant
 
Effective's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by angelphantasma View Post
applicable:
Not really. The analogy is bad and you should feel bad.
__________________


My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Effective is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hehateme
Private
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Not really. The analogy is bad and you should feel bad.
Actually, I found Angel's analogy perfect. This is why I fear the next Unreal Tournament will have trouble.

For those who don't know the next Unreal Tournament will be community made, if it interests you read here

http://www.esreality.com/post/259204...ent-announced/
Hehateme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GodlessHeretic
Private
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Some other things for caves and battle islands:

Battle Islands:
Change BI rules to the standard rules.
I'm sorry, but no. I actually like the fact that you can't use HA weapons on the Battle Islands. Keeps the playing field even. There are some balancing issues to be sure, but your suggestion would basically force everyone to cert HA through meta-game. Not cool.

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Though preferably:
- Remove all aircraft from caves. Caves without Mossie farming would be fun. With Mossie farming it's just an annoying campfest all the time.
I'm a little annoyed that you said this while saying what i quoted above it. I do agree with you, though. Aircraft (Reavers especially) tend to make it impossible to actually explore/fight in the caves.
__________________
No Gods. No Masters.

I will find the center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
GodlessHeretic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Figment
Lieutenant General
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by GodlessHeretic View Post
I'm sorry, but no. I actually like the fact that you can't use HA weapons on the Battle Islands. Keeps the playing field even. There are some balancing issues to be sure, but your suggestion would basically force everyone to cert HA through meta-game. Not cool.
I understand your concerns and while I prefered it myself (my K/D shot up since I only use Sweeper anyway), It was a problematic set of arbitrary rules that made a lot of players unwilling to go there, especially a set of these islands in a row (next to enemies not turning up for defense of the next island due to spawn rule reasons throwing people back to sanctuary).


Thing is, the BI's were poorly designed and implemented. You'll notice that in the post above, the BI's become vital links in the defense of a Sanctuary as a third home continent and a central continent next to Searhus.

For these reasons, you would require continuity, which in cave fights you do not.
Figment is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Taramafor
Sergeant Major
 
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


1: get the caves working again. No aircraft in caves (because, you know, they're CAVES! Or at least make aircraft use the geowarp to get into one).

2: Balance BFR's (And obviously, get CC working and free). Don't nerf shield but give it a weaker one maybe? Obviously other stuff to balance them more.

3: Anything to stop the damn hackers ruining the fun. It's getting out of hand. I can't leave a spawn room without dying these days.

4: People tend to just waltz to a base from towers and forget to get vehicles from a base. So something to encourage people to do that more would be nice.

Haven't been around long enough to come up with lattice ideas.

And that's it. I want Planetside and I want caves and I want it hacker free and good fights with vehicles/armies. With people using cover and moving as teams (which they do. That alone makes me like it more then PS2). No need to mess around with every little thing to get the game shining.
__________________

Taramafor - TRG, Getting shiz done!

Last edited by Taramafor; 2014-05-30 at 05:18 PM.
Taramafor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Effective
First Lieutenant
 
Effective's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: If SOE made Planetside 1 Open Source, what should be community focus?


Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
Actually, I found Angel's analogy perfect. [/url]
It's not.

Step 1. Is the content fun to play with?
Step 2. Is the content fun to play against?
Step 3. If not yes to 1 or 2, then don't add it.

Welcome to basically everything I was talking about.
__________________


My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex

Last edited by Effective; 2014-05-30 at 07:55 PM.
Effective is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.