Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2013-10-25, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HelpLuperza
Corporal

What is your favorite book?

Hey guys,

Do you have a recent favorite book or e-book your reading?

I made this thread so we can share different books people are currently reading. This is also to help encourage people to read more. If you have a favorate current book please post a link or a review to it below.

For me its the Circle.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/op...vacy.html?_r=0
Old 2013-10-26, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: What is your favorite book?

Harry Potter. Grew up with it (I'm not kidding. Every time I read it, I was Harry's age). Shame it ended so poorly and lamely. I think order of the phoenix is the best one personally. Just as much bad in it as there is good. Also, books are awesome, movies are shite.

Commando comic books. Beano and dandy. I also got lord of the rings (good movies too though leaving out parts from books).

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-10-26 at 08:28 PM.
Old 2013-10-29, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kyonye
Contributor
General

My favorite book is Ender's Game. I'm upset they made a movie of it. I don't think it's the best book I've ever read but it was the book I read when I was a kid that really got me interested in reading, and science fiction.

I also love the hitchhikers series.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2013-10-30, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
HelpLuperza
Corporal

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Harry Potter. Grew up with it (I'm not kidding. Every time I read it, I was Harry's age). Shame it ended so poorly and lamely. I think order of the phoenix is the best one personally. Just as much bad in it as there is good. Also, books are awesome, movies are shite.

Commando comic books. Beano and dandy. I also got lord of the rings (good movies too though leaving out parts from books).
I loved Harry Potter too.

Originally Posted by Kyonye View Post
My favorite book is Ender's Game. I'm upset they made a movie of it. I don't think it's the best book I've ever read but it was the book I read when I was a kid that really got me interested in reading, and science fiction.

I also love the hitchhikers series.
Hitchhiker's and Ender's game are great books, I agree.

Actually both your suggestions remind of two foreign novels I read recently,
Crest of the Stars. and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha.

With its deep characterization and colorful characters, Crest of the Stars. is classic Japanese space opera that influenced many of the modern Gundam and Macross series we see today as unlike other scifi series the totalitarian militaristic aliens would be seen as villains instead of heroes. If you like Ender's Game you probably love this series.

On the other hand Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. is a comedy fantasy Korean novel series that basically does fantasy what hitchhikers did to science fiction. In other words, is a light novel plot that while has that special kind of absurdity that satirizes the fantasy genre as a whole. My favorite how the demon lord (Maou) is economist and puns about how any economic theory she talks about is “demonic magic” by most of the characters. There are also several references to Lord of the Rings.

Because I know though both novels are very hard to access as there are very few chapters translated into English, I am going to share with you guys a 3rd novel suggestion, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky. Now I know this is fan fiction; however, I consider it still something worthwhile to take a glance at simply because its author is a professor at MIT and it will increase your general knowledge of science with references Feynman and more. If you liked Harry Potter, this is definitely, something to check out.

P.S. I am still curious for you other PSU members out there, what is your favorite novel.

Last edited by HelpLuperza; 2013-10-30 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2014-04-22, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ArcherLangley
Private

The night angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. You know a book is good when it makes assassins and game of thrones look bad by comparison.

Currently waiting for the next two books of The Lightbringer series which is even better.

Last edited by ArcherLangley; 2014-04-22 at 03:40 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge