Trayvon Martin - Page 18 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: flaming cats: because bombs are too expensive
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-05, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #256
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Re: Trayvon Martin

I know that an armed man with a violent criminal history shot and killed an unarmed kid with no history who was on his way back from the store, talking on the phone to his girlfriend. Did Martin have a psychotic episode and attempt to kill a stranger despite having no demonstrable violent or criminal tendencies? Did Zimmerman get lost in his own neighborhood and get attacked while checking a street sign? Did Martin say "You got me!" like in a fucking cartoon after he was shot through the chest? Who knows! We'll see how the trial goes. But as reasonably intelligent people, it's our privilege to look at that stuff and say: Fuck that.

Diverting attention away from the actual events of the incident and toward playing on people's prejudices about scary black people isn't really an interesting path for the discussion to take.

PEEP DAT THUG

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-05 at 10:12 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #257
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I know that an armed man with a violent criminal history shot and killed an unarmed kid with no history who was on his way back from the store, talking on the phone to his girlfriend. Did Martin have a psychotic episode and attempt to kill a stranger despite having no demonstrable violent or criminal tendencies? Did Zimmerman get lost in his own neighborhood and get attacked while checking a street sign? Did Martin say "You got me!" like in a fucking cartoon after he was shot through the chest? Who knows! We'll see how the trial goes. But as reasonably intelligent people, it's our privilege to look at that stuff and say: Fuck that.

Diverting attention away from the actual events of the incident and toward playing on people's prejudices about scary black people isn't really an interesting path for the discussion to take.

PEEP DAT THUG
Wow.

I never realized it before now Warborn.....but you are completely and utterly full of shit.

It just hit me like a brick to the chest....all the bias....the ignoring facts in favor of your own personal ideals.

I get it now.

It all makes sense.
Old 2012-04-05, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #258
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
And I'll leave you with this:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...cords-revealed

Neither is cute and cuddly. Now what?
Old 2012-04-05, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #259
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
And I'll leave you with this:

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...cords-revealed

Neither is cute and cuddly. Now what?
The point is that the media only tells you about Zimmerman's past, while showing old childhood pictures of Martin and acting like he was the model kid, which certainly is not the case. Of course their histories don't matter with respect to the facts of this case, but it sure seems to sway public opinion quite easily.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #260
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
The point is that the media only tells you about Zimmerman's past, [...].
That so? Then how did you get Martin's background info?

edit: And yes media tend to do that. On all topics. But yeah, indeed the important thing is what happened here. It's something a lot of people seem to forget. That even if it was Scarface, a shooting is a shooting.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-04-05 at 11:14 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #261
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Yes, we are aware that people like Al Sharpton and groups like the NAACP exist to ensure that someone advocates against injustice for a demographic that has a long history of being the victim of injustice.
Yeah because Hispanics and **** never experienced injustice.

Anyway, I'm going to start calling you Occupy PSU. First we got Westboro, then we got you.

Old 2012-04-05, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #262
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post

Anyway, I'm going to start calling you Occupy PSU. First we got Westboro, then we got you.
Seconded.

The obvious race baiting and bigotry coming from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson apparently elude him because, again, he (Warborn) chooses to ignore things that don't line up with his personal ideals.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #263
Hamma
PSU Admin

The point is that the media only tells you about Zimmerman's past, while showing old childhood pictures of Martin and acting like he was the model kid, which certainly is not the case. Of course their histories don't matter with respect to the facts of this case, but it sure seems to sway public opinion quite easily.
This exactly

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-05, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #264
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

And yet it wasn't an unarmed Hispanic or Jewish person who was killed for the crime of being suspicious.

This is like Sobekeus complaining that Al Sharpton and the NAACP exist. What does this matter? Yes, the media in the US is a travesty. This isn't the first or the last time they will demonstrate themselves as being sensationalist assholes. It also has nothing to do with this case. Zimmerman isn't any less of a piece of shit because they used his mugshot as his photo representation.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #265
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

And yet it wasn't an unarmed Hispanic or Jewish person who was killed for the crime of being suspicious.
No but Hispanics and **** are profiled and injustices are committed against them every Goddamn day, and zero fucks are given in those instances.

What makes this one case so special?

Media bias and attention...and the Race baiting duo Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson themselves.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #266
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

This is like Sobekeus complaining that Al Sharpton and the NAACP exist.
It should be noted that Al Sharpton and the NAACP are part of the racism problem, not part of the solution.

Old 2012-04-05, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #267
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It should be noted that Al Sharpton and the NAACP are part of the racism problem, not part of the solution.
And yet when they speak, people listen. The dead should always be so lucky to have such a voice. Maybe the despicable thing here is that there aren't Sharptons or NAACP's for all the people unjustly killed.

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
No but Hispanics and **** are profiled and injustices are committed against them every Goddamn day, and zero fucks are given in those instances.

What makes this one case so special?

Media bias and attention...and the Race baiting duo Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson themselves.
Is unarmed people being shot and killed in the streets, with the shooter walking away without charge, really such a banal, everyday occurrence? I thought what made this case special is that some kid, minding his own business, was capped over nothing, and the killer didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-04-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 2012-04-05, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #268
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It wasn't at any point made clear that Martin wasn't behaving suspiciously. He was suspended from school and was clearly a thug in the making, or a rapper. Anything he did in 2008 is pretty much irrelevent.

Old 2012-04-05, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #269
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
That so? Then how did you get Martin's background info?
You know what I mean. The real info about Martin didn't come out until a week later, after which the prior biased info had already convinced the public that Zimmerman is guilty and the lynch mobs sent out. Even Obama was a victim, as I doubt he would say that his sons would look like Martin with the full info we have now.

Zimmerman could well be guilty, but he deserves a fair trial, not a lynch mob.

Last edited by Quovatis; 2012-04-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2012-04-05, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #270
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

It wasn't at any point made clear that Martin wasn't behaving suspiciously. He was suspended from school and was clearly a thug in the making, or a rapper. Anything he did in 2008 is pretty much irrelevent.
I have tattoos, and one time I was suspended from school for fighting, no less, which is probably worse than having weed, right? Do you reckon I grew up to be a thug or a rapper?

Oh, wait, that's right, I'm not black. I forgot that black = suspicious. Yes, in this post-racial era it really is Sharpton and the NAACP who are the real racists.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum