Gameplay: Platoon Leader and Squad Waypoints - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I crossdress when I play PlanetSide.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013-04-09, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrPete
Private

Platoon Leader and Squad Waypoints

After several hours (more likely days) of being a platoon leader for my outfit (and sometimes randoms) I thought that the current platoon leader options just don't allow to split a platoon to engage different targets.

Right now the platoon leader has the option to either set the platoon waypoint or the waypoint of a squad he's leading.
Thus there's either the whole gang running towards one target and then shooting holes in the walls out of boredom or a single squad is trying to capture something while the rest of the platoon are bored on one other spot.

It would make life easier if the platoon leader had -regardless of whether he is leading a squad in the platoon- the ability to set waypoints for every squad.
Prerequisites for that:
- platoon leader sees all WPs
- the base of the WP marked in the squads color (Alpha WP stays green as-is, Bravo gets the base rectangle in gold/yellow, Charlie in purple, Delta in black)
- existing squads (would make no sense if you set WPs for Charlie & Delta squad while there is only Alpha & Bravo)
- specific WPs only visible to the squad (like it is now if the squad leader sets them)

Drawbacks:
- three more symbols on map right-click if squad leader
- four more symbols on map right-click if only platoon leader

Benefits:
- ability to set specific locations for squads to attack (e.g. generators on AMP-stations, satellite bases on BioLabs)
- ability to split platoon to capture surrounding territories of large bases
Old 2013-04-09, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
leifnielsen
Corporal

Re: Platoon Leader and Squad Waypoints

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea. 5 stars. We need a lot more tools for tactics. I think the main concern is where to draw the line for responsibility. I.E. - What the Platoon leader should have control over vs. What the individual squad leaders should have control over. If you have a platoon leader micro-managing everybody, then the squad leaders have no job.

I think the platoon leader should definitely have those waypoints for each squad, but I ALSO think the platoon leader should be entirely seperate from the squads. He should be a standalone entity above 4 squad leaders. The platoon leader should only focus on where to send squads, not where to send specific individuals.

The squad leader however, should be able to set waypoints for every single member of the squad. As such, it would require a different mechanic than the standard drop down menu. Instead, I suggest giving squad leaders the ability to select single or multiple squad members on the map by either holding "Ctrl" and selecting or by clicking and dragging. Once the desired squad members were selected, when you right click there will be an extra option on the drop down menu that says "Custom Waypoint".

If the click-drag thing wouldn't work, then at least give us Fire Teams.

I also think the platoon leaders should be able to place markers on the map requesting specific support from the empire such as Air units or Armor divisions. I think I saw something saying they were planning on adding this already though...somewhere in the Roadmap I think.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrPete
Private

It'd be great to be able to ask for specific units.
After having a Vanu shooting party consisting of several MAXes, engineers and medics on top of a mountain between Ceres Farms and Highlands station it took almost an hour where next to no airplanes were able to leave the NC warpgate.
If it had been possible to ask for tanks (MAXes were equipped with Bursters and so little defense against armor) it'd been cleared a lot faster.
Still: Great lightshow!
And getting 6 roadkills with a Galaxy skimming the top of that hill surely has it's worth

It's also a nice idea to separate the platoon leader from the squad leaders but that might create a situation where no one wants to be platoon leader because you'd basically be stuck behind your lines with little to no chance of gaining XP (and thus CERTs...).
It might be feasible if the player generated missions are implemented and a platoon leader can set a mission for his platoon, being rewarded with XP/CERTs when that mission is succesfull.
Old 2013-04-10, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SGTAce
Private

9+/10.
I like that idea. It's hard for me when I tell people to do something and they don't know where to go, even squad leader doesn't know where exacly put waypoint. And it would be easier for me as P-leader to put squad wp for everyone.

I need to open map anyway, right?

Also, symbols. Stars, triangles etc.

And please allow us to set colors and symbols for squads!
Old 2013-04-10, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DaPope
Private

Yes! The only other addition I would add is to allow PLs to be able to set up to 5 way points. Often times you don't want to go directly to a target or like on Amerish the roads can be very curvy and you either need a person acting as GPS or have to stop to make sure you are on the right road.

Another neat option IMO would be a 30 second "target" marker. Often you need to quickly redirect your forces to intercept in coming armor/sundy/air/etc... A quick flashing beacon would be a great tool. And because it doesn't last forever wouldn't be too chaotic. You could even make it a quick select tool similar to a "Q-Spot".
Old 2013-04-11, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
leifnielsen
Corporal

Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
Yes! The only other addition I would add is to allow PLs to be able to set up to 5 way points. Often times you don't want to go directly to a target or like on Amerish the roads can be very curvy and you either need a person acting as GPS or have to stop to make sure you are on the right road.

Another neat option IMO would be a 30 second "target" marker. Often you need to quickly redirect your forces to intercept in coming armor/sundy/air/etc... A quick flashing beacon would be a great tool. And because it doesn't last forever wouldn't be too chaotic. You could even make it a quick select tool similar to a "Q-Spot".
OOH! They should put talking GPS devices in all the vehicles!

*RECALCULATING...*

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault