Beta order - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why is Hamma so hotT??
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-24, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Toimu
Second Lieutenant

I just like trying games out before buying them. But I'll take my chances with PS. (Yes, some people WONT like PS, even for free)
Old 2002-12-24, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
afex
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by Cyan8313
The whole point of the open beta is to prepare for retail. Now if you only let x number of ppl in you really dont know how many ppl will buy retail and try to play. If you only let in 10K ppl and 50K buy it within the first month the 40K who wont be able to play isnt going to be very happy.

Anyway if it is open beta then everyone and their dog should be able to get a account and play, othervise it isn�t open.

C
the whole point of open beta is to make sure a server can take the maximum number of people expected per server.

and since that right now is at 5,000, there is no need for all those other ppl.
Old 2002-12-24, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
m0rphiu5
NC Superior
Firepower

personally i think the open Beta should be open, a type of floodgate is obviously nessercary and due to timezones would probably limit the server enough anyway. Admitdly one would probably have to try logining in atleast a dozen times, but for the majority of people here that wouldnt be a problem.
Old 2002-12-24, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sputty
Banned

They'll probably put it in the different download sites and probably allow the CD to be bought...although no one would probably buy the CD even if they didn't have modem they'd still probably haev to download some pretty big patches so a modem would be annoying for beta
Old 2002-12-24, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sputty
Banned

"even if they didn't ahve a modem" meaning broadband...if they had dial-up..heh..I'm not getting very much sleep
Old 2002-12-24, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

If they put PS up for download and truley make it "open" thats opening a can of worms, I highly doubt this will happen. They got a ton of apps for beta, there will be no shortage of people to pick.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-24, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Smoejoe37
Private

Is there anyway to get into beta now???
Old 2002-12-24, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Nope. They closed sign ups a month ago, and now were just holding our breath waiting to get in.
Old 2002-12-24, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Smoejoe37
Private

That sux. For some reason tho... i think i did sign up for it. I didnt know about Pside then but i think i signed up anyway just cuz i needed something to play. Is their a way to find out if i did or not??
Kind of a stupid question, but im just curious.
Old 2002-12-24, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Flashingfish
Forbidden Leader

laff.

No idea how - maybe check your email to see if you still have the confirmation letter.

Old 2002-12-24, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Smoejoe37
Private

ya i know im a complete clutz. lol. Maybe ill just get an invitation.?? who knows.
Old 2002-12-24, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dragoon412
Corporal

Lately, the trend seems to be that open betas are actually open. Fileplanet, Fileshack (my favorite), 3dgamers, etc. tend to get the client, put it up for download, and anyone with the time, bandwidth, and desire can get the client.

That being said, it's typically a VERY large download; Earth and Beyond, for example, was well over a gig, with something like 300 megs worth of patching afterwards. That alone deters a very large number of gamers from getting the client.

On top of that, it seems that MMOGs don't care about the distribution of their beta client so much as the number of people playing. Take AC2 for example -- anyone that wanted could get a beta client, but they only allowed a few thousand people online at once, so just having the client wouldn't ensure your ability to log in.

I'd honestly be suprised if the PS open beta client wasn't available to the general public.
Old 2002-12-25, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
TG_Dead__Eye
Private

First I will say this, if you have the cd but someone else has already registered and created an account under that cd key, you will not be able to create an account with it, you will need a cd and cd key that has not been used.
I am sure they will not make the open beta a downloadable thing, you will most likely have to get the beta cd and create an account. They already have more app's then they know what to do with I am sure, just for all those unpicked internal beta apps they recieved.
As far as knowing weather or not it will support 1000's of players rather then 100's well they already have EQ to look back on for that, the open beta will most likely be just to make sure that there are no unfound bugs left in the game and fix them. Like I said, they can look back onto EQ and see weather or not they have the servers set up correctly for the mass amount of people they will have on any given server. I could be wrong, but considering they are the same people that work on the EQ servers, you can bet they have already worked out being able to support so many people.
Be Safe and Have Fun
Old 2002-12-25, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by TG_Dead__Eye
I am sure they will not make the open beta a downloadable thing, you will most likely have to get the beta cd and create an account.
Why wouldn't they make it downloadable? Many MMOGs have become downloadable as that's the easiest way to get the beta out to as many people as possible. The entire point of the open beta is a stress test and if alot of people dont get the beta than there's no point in doing an open beta at all. They could keep it internal the entire time but open betas allow the servers to be tested and also allow many people to try out the game to give suggestions on balancing and fixing the game. The more people for both of these, the better.
Old 2002-12-25, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
TG_Dead__Eye
Private

They just might make it downloadable, or they could have it set up where they send you a cd for this purpose. I really can't say what they will or won't do on that one. The point of doing the open beta is to get a huge amount of people on at one time to see how well the servers will perform with more people then just the internal beta group. They have stated that when they get to this point it won't really have anything to do with fixes problems, but I am sure there will be some problems that pop up that they will have to address. I know alot of them have it downloadable, I would just think it would be easier to send out a cd for this purpose, if you have 500 to 1000 people all tring to download it, there will be alot of people that won't like the time it will take either sitting in line for there turn to download it, or just the over all time it will take to get the download completed. That is why I would think they would have a cd they could send out, considering they would want every body to enjoy the game from start to finish. If it is a download then that is cool with me, I can start the download and walk away and do something else. I just don't know alot of people that would feel that same way and as you said the purpose is to get as many as you can on so they can see how it handles with so many people on at one time, and so they can find any last minute fixes that may need to be made. If you have people saying screw this cause they have to wait so long for the download then wouldn't that eliminate the hole point in open beta? Oh well either way I will download it if it is downloadable, or I will get it what ever way they say I will need to when that time comes.
Be Safe and Have Fun
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion