A Planetside opinion by an original fan. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making Comcast Number one on your shit list since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-06, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Re: A Planetside opinion by an original fan.

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
What I meant was that any MMO have better game play if it's not F2P because every F2P have some degree of P2W. If there are no cash shops in the game that sell boosters the game designers have to design there games so all the content is fun to play. If they sell boosters that have to design the game so it's tedious to play if you don't buy them. If they don't they will not make any money from the game.
In a pure PvP game you must have a high population. PS2 will have a higher population by being F2P than it would with a standard subscription model. You cannot argue that. PS2 is ahead of the curve on their decision to go F2P and it is a good thing for the future of the game. If you still cannot accept that then you're simply not thinking about this clearly.

Rest assured, if you want to spend money on the game you will be able to do so.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Piper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
In a pure PvP game you must have a high population. PS2 will have a higher population by being F2P than it would with a standard subscription model. You cannot argue that. PS2 is ahead of the curve on their decision to go F2P and it is a good thing for the future of the game. If you still cannot accept that then you're simply not thinking about this clearly.

Rest assured, if you want to spend money on the game you will be able to do so.
While the above is true one can also make the case that F2P might well see more hacking and as we mere mortals understand it there is no way to make the empire game of the first eight months of PS1 be a part of PS2 really.

Both of which could perhaps turn out to be negatives for us gamers. MT models are a boon to companies I understand them so it's no surprise PS2 has gone that way still.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's something no matter our feelings we now have to accept and move on.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
What I meant was that any MMO have better game play if it's not F2P because every F2P have some degree of P2W. If there are no cash shops in the game that sell boosters the game designers have to design there games so all the content is fun to play. If they sell boosters that have to design the game so it's tedious to play if you don't buy them. If they don't they will not make any money from the game.

LoL is a crappy game so what is your point? Besides it's a MOBA and not a MMO
Most subscription MMOs these days go free to play sooner or later. Look at SWTOR.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
noodz
Private

Does anyone think PS1 will go F2p when PS2 comes out?

It should... afterall bandwidth isn't a non-renewable resource.. it's nothing off Sony's back. They can hardly be making much money out of PS1's low pop numbers atm..
Old 2012-08-06, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Piper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by noodz View Post

It should... afterall bandwidth isn't a non-renewable resource.. it's nothing off Sony's back. They can hardly be making much money out of PS1's low pop numbers atm..
It's more likely they'll just shut it down surely? No need to run Gemini and staff it (if they even bother these days?).
Old 2012-08-06, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
While the above is true one can also make the case that F2P might well see more hacking and as we mere mortals understand it there is no way to make the empire game of the first eight months of PS1 be a part of PS2 really.

Both of which could perhaps turn out to be negatives for us gamers. MT models are a boon to companies I understand them so it's no surprise PS2 has gone that way still.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's something no matter our feelings we now have to accept and move on.
File it under necessary evil I'm afraid. ArtificalAiming and I can guarantee they're not there to help test SOE's servers. By the way, just suck down the injustice of that for a second - most of you have never played PS2 and yet AA - a group/person who spends their time hacking games you love obtained invites weeks ago! Anyway, hacks will be created. We just have to hope SOE's system is robust enough to catch and deal with hackers.

The alternative is reaching fewer end-users because you don't want the game to be hacked which would not only be cutting off your nose to spite your face but ultimately the game would probably be hacked anyway!

As a F2P game Empire loyalty is impossible to enforce, however the key is for SOE to introduce a good, incentivised system which rewards players for playing the under-populated Empire.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Piper
First Sergeant

File it under necessary evil I'm afraid. ArtificalAiming and I can guarantee they're not there to help test SOE's servers. By the way, just suck down the injustice of that for a second - most of you have never played PS2 and yet AA - a group/person who spends their time hacking games you love obtained invites weeks ago! Anyway, hacks will be created. We just have to hope SOE's system is robust enough to catch and deal with hackers.

The alternative is reaching fewer end-users because you don't want the game to be hacked which would not only be cutting off your nose to spite your face but ultimately the game would probably be hacked anyway!

As a F2P game Empire loyalty is impossible to enforce, however the key is for SOE to introduce a good, incentivised system which rewards players for playing the under-populated Empire.
I have no doubt at all that hacks are being worked on, and that people who do it are already pleasuring themselves at the thought of using them. In gaming terms they are scum. Talentless scum to boot. Not to moderate my language or anything. Whether SoE can do anything about it, who knows. Many companies made bold claims about it but fall short in the final analysis. They were exceptionally slow out of the blocks to do anything about it in PS1 for which many of us gave 'em a mental black mark.

To me, in the abstract, a subscription model is better for gamers and gaming, while MT models appear to be better for companies. 50c or 25p a day and everyone gets an "equal" (as best as can be done) playing field will always trump buying "inequalty" in terms of gaming. Especially as PS1 and PS2 are, by design, much less likely to fall foul of the MMO' time spent=power rule. I always liken it to old arcade machines, everyone got the same for the coin they put in the machine, you couldn't put in two coins and buy some god mode for a few seconds.

50c or 25p a day for an entertainment service is chicken feed, comparable still to visiting the movies once a week, buying a daily paper, whatever. They, arguably, give a subscriber a better sense of "investment" in a game and its community. Part of it of course boils down to the way MMO's are now played, near on ten years since PS1. With so many now out there and coming out so often folks treat 'em more like single player games. Buy it, buy crud off the store, play it, bin it, move on to the next one.

Ho-hum. But.....ship, nearly over the horizon, nothing we gamers can do about it anymore.

As to Empire hoping shenanigans.....that's equally depressing as hackers but meh....again, nothing to do but watch people treat it like a game of twister.

Last edited by Piper; 2012-08-06 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
noodz
Private

Has this idea ever been mentioned?

Make it so in order to have a playable account you must have a valid credit card attached to that account (like ps1) only catch is you never get charged ?
This could at least minimize hacker numbers and prevent them re-creating accounts.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Oops I meant to say, ArtificialAiming are already IN the tech test... Sometimes bad things happen to good sentences.

Has this idea ever been mentioned?

Make it so in order to have a playable account you must have a valid credit card attached to that account (like ps1) only catch is you never get charged ?
This could at least minimize hacker numbers and prevent them re-creating accounts.
It'd also severely limit the number of players they'd get. A lot of people who knew nothing about the game would be put off if they thought they had to use a CC to sign up.
Old 2012-08-06, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Astrok
First Sergeant

[QUOTE=Sunrock;816500]What I meant was that any MMO have better game play if it's not F2P because every F2P have some degree of P2W. If there are no cash shops in the game that sell boosters the game designers have to design there games so all the content is fun to play. If they sell boosters that have to design the game so it's tedious to play if you don't buy them. If they don't they will not make any money from the game.

they already statet its not p2w.u cant buy better weapons with cash.....and all weapons can u get by just playing the game.u can buy some boosters to get it quicker
Old 2012-08-06, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Noxey
Private

Oops I meant to say, ArtificialAiming are already IN the tech test... Sometimes bad things happen to good sentences.
Cheaters pissed me off so much in in Q3/Live me and my clan quit competitive play, reading their public forums some guy posting about his excitement for PS2 and how he cant wait to 'make people rage' going on to say how he's played(and hacked) PS1 for 6 years, 6 fucking years, of a pay per month game. Really hope SOE shape up in PS2 and use some real anti cheat software.

The blatant cheaters I couldn't care about, its the subtle ones that annoy me
Old 2012-08-06, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rat
First Sergeant

I dont think so...with ps2 coming, I doubt there would be enuff interest in ps1 to warrent any development time...if they even bothered to develope a cash shop what would you buy?
Old 2012-08-06, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
TheRandomAmiba
Corporal

Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I have no doubt at all that hacks are being worked on, and that people who do it are already pleasuring themselves at the thought of using them. In gaming terms they are scum. Talentless scum to boot. Not to moderate my language or anything. Whether SoE can do anything about it, who knows. Many companies made bold claims about it but fall short in the final analysis. They were exceptionally slow out of the blocks to do anything about it in PS1 for which many of us gave 'em a mental black mark.

To me, in the abstract, a subscription model is better for gamers and gaming, while MT models appear to be better for companies. 50c or 25p a day and everyone gets an "equal" (as best as can be done) playing field will always trump buying "inequalty" in terms of gaming. Especially as PS1 and PS2 are, by design, much less likely to fall foul of the MMO' time spent=power rule. I always liken it to old arcade machines, everyone got the same for the coin they put in the machine, you couldn't put in two coins and buy some god mode for a few seconds.

50c or 25p a day for an entertainment service is chicken feed, comparable still to visiting the movies once a week, buying a daily paper, whatever. They, arguably, give a subscriber a better sense of "investment" in a game and its community. Part of it of course boils down to the way MMO's are now played, near on ten years since PS1. With so many now out there and coming out so often folks treat 'em more like single player games. Buy it, buy crud off the store, play it, bin it, move on to the next one.

Ho-hum. But.....ship, nearly over the horizon, nothing we gamers can do about it anymore.

As to Empire hoping shenanigans.....that's equally depressing as hackers but meh....again, nothing to do but watch people treat it like a game of twister.
do you know how expensive buying chicken feed can be?
Old 2012-08-06, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
facefinder
Private

Heya, noob here, my gutfeeling doesnt like FtP,allways subscribed my mmo's,from 1999 on,time played and effort over straight cash to get new stuff but I understand there is maybe need for change and high numbers of players with FtP is good in this game.
I kinda liked how Tribes solved it, either pay with XP or gold, works for me.

Facefinder
Old 2012-08-06, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xenostalker
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheApoc View Post
ps1 will be all but dead when ps2 opens up.. it just cant hang, while it was great its time has passed..
This sums it up, sadly ;[
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion