life of a tank - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The reason she left
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-10, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Um, both TR tanks?

Last time I checked each empire had 1 tank and there was the Common pool Lightning tank.
Old 2002-12-10, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
�io
Lieutenant General

What would be very sweet is if tanks had a soft spot somwhere like right under the turret or something and if you managed to stick a nade there BOOM. Kinda like those sock bombs in Saving Private Ryan. I would so love pulling that off.
Old 2002-12-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea TR has a heavy tank, sits 2

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

/excuse

Everything common pool would technecly be TR wouldn't it? Since they are the origonal empire, I would suspect that they devolped the Common Pool weapons, and that the Empire Specific weapons were developed individualy by each empires after the split.

/end excuse

Old 2002-12-10, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

TR FOR LYFE@!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-10, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Vanu are uber |337!

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-10, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Qanamil_Rafiki
Staff Sergeant

sniping, the mosquito, and hacking are my main focuses at the moment.

Tanks are interesting and I wouldn't mind being the turrent controller at some point either.

TR Powah!
Old 2002-12-10, 08:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
�io
Lieutenant General

Yeah agreed, i'll hope in the magrider once in a while but mainly my focuses are sniping(if it's done right, if i need 5 headshots on a med armor screw it.), medic/repair/engineer, fighter pilot and stealth. I'll most likely try the MAX a few times but i very much doubt it will be my cup o' tea.
Old 2002-12-10, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

Hacking and stealth and/or combined is my main focus at the moment

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Old 2002-12-10, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
�io
Lieutenant General

Oops forgot hacking!

As you can see i have no clue what i want to do.
But i'll be playing a support role for sure, either Hacking,Reparing, Piloting or Sniping.
Old 2002-12-11, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Archonxvi
Private

I have to disagree with the majority of the posts here, I think. The tanks should not be all that difficult to destroy, with an anti-tank weapon, because (if what I read is true) you can purchace them more or less on demand. Although you can not get yet another if it is destroyed for some period of time after, (the 24 hour wait is subject to change, yes?) if it was as powerful as you seem to want it to be, I would see virtually no reason not to rush in with nearly all tanks with very little fighter cover and perhaps a small stealth team. Of course, I could be completly wrong.......
Old 2002-12-11, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

The fact that you can purchase them more or less on demand (I had heard that you can only get so many of each type of vehicle over a period of time) doesn't negate the fact that tanks are a very large target, and that anti-tank weapons likely have a really long range. If tanks get destroyed in two or three hits from a rocket, nobody would ever use one, because you'd have virtually no survivability.

Personally though, I like the way Battlefield 1942 handled tanks and anti-tank weapons. The armor was thinner at the back (as is with real tanks), and a couple shots to the rear would destroy a light tank. However, the anti-tank weapons were difficult to aim well due to the relatively slow shot of the projectile, and the fact that they shot in a rather shallow arc, but an arc none the less.
Old 2002-12-11, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

Galaxy pilots!

a well versed drop pilot will be in great demand I think.
no matter how badass the tank is, you gotta get it there in one piece in a place where it will do some good.

Last edited by xuur; 2002-12-11 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2002-12-11, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Archonxvi
Private

Warborn, I would think that is why you would have infantry move in first, so that the heavy weapon squads are killed, via snipers or strafing runs, allowing the tanks to move in and destroy the rest, as well as provide staying power. The vast majority of troops do not carry AT weaponry, so they would still be quite useful.
Old 2002-12-11, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You know Archonxvi, I really wish those kinds of tactics happened more in games. Not saying it won't happen in PS (I imagine it will given the more serious nature of the game -- everyone will likely be in an Outfit) but just, in general, it'd be nice to see real-world battlefield tactics used in games.

That aside, the tanks shouldn't be extremely strong when faced with a heavy weapon, but should be fairly tough none the less. It all depends though. If Combat Engineers can repair the tank fairly quickly then the tank can be made a little less durable. If the heavy weapons are a bit difficult to aim, like the Panzerfaust weapons in BF1942, then that again leaves more room to make the tank weaker. Truthfully... I don't think we can really comment unless you actually see the big picture. There are too many variables.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion