Gameplay: destructible environments - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hail!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-12-15, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

destructible environments

Obviously this is an idea for down the road when any kind of destruction is implemented.

But why not use a gimmick to explain how the environment is fixed. Such as each base having a terraforming machine/generator/ w/e /alien-device-each-base-is-built-on-top-of,-that-connects-to-the-core-of-the-planet?/not-magic, that fixes the surrounding environment for the purpose of using its resources (land being a resource)?

Fix the land for future cultivation of *something* and w/e resources are near to be use by your empire. Cause we all know we aren't just fighting over the planet for the awesome scenery.

It could also be used, at the cost of some resource(if such a thing exists), to change the landscape (in very minor predetermined or control-able ways, like, extra rocks here, large dip over there, remove a something that will give cover to enemies) based on the direction of enemy boarders.

Sort of, a small tactical advantage that's usable by certed leaders or engineers. Till it gets blown up obviously.

neutral state of this terraforming thing would simply be repair surrounding environment if its operational/not blown up it self and has power+resources(?).

Just a random thought. Also, base repairs should be manual+automated. Automated repairs to base only if surrounded by all friendly bases.

Last edited by Justaman; 2011-12-15 at 04:12 AM.
Old 2011-12-15, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Traak
Colonel

Re: destructible environments

I want high-canopy jungles. Keeps sissy pilots OUT.
Old 2011-12-15, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I want high-canopy jungles. Keeps sissy pilots OUT.
I' m sure even with that you would find something else OP that kills you and needs to be nerfed.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Raka Maru
Major

Let the trees grow back after time and repair bots landscape it after battles. Except for active CE type structures if the engie is still online, then let it collapse.

Tanks should be able to plow over smaller trees and we should see them burn and splinter.

I know this is a wish list for now, but down the road, make it look like a battle happened there, or noone's touched this place for days.
Old 2011-12-15, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Let the trees grow back after time and repair bots landscape it after battles. Except for active CE type structures if the engie is still online, then let it collapse.

Tanks should be able to plow over smaller trees and we should see them burn and splinter.

I know this is a wish list for now, but down the road, make it look like a battle happened there, or noone's touched this place for days.
When the VS capture an Area the restore it. NC wreckage remains the same. TR... I can't think of what the TR would do, without AI. Would be cool for later in the game.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-12-15 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2011-12-16, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
When the VS capture an Area the restore it. NC wreckage remains the same. TR... I can't think of what the TR would do, without AI. Would be cool for later in the game.
Wow! Cool idea!

Have different fauna depending on empire ownership. And even have cash shop type growth.
Old 2011-12-16, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
GuvNuh
Corporal

Yar, i would be thrilled with even small scale destructible features. trees getting plowed over or set on fire (flamethrowers would get super fun in dense foliage) smaller rocks getting crushed under heavy vehicles, things like that. It would be really cool to be able to crater the terrain and use shell holes for cover, but i'm just not sure how feasible that would be to implement. Most likely it would take a god-awful amount of work.

I loved mercenaries and mercenaries 2 specifically for all the stuff you could blow up while fighting(Gunships and thermobaric bombs were pretty cool too) and i hope to see some of that implemented into planetside2. It would be pretty sweet to get a couple of decimator or tank shots into a base's fuel tanks/reserves and blow it sky high, hopefully taking some nearby buildings and troops with.

Another good thought is having hardened structures that require many minutes of barrage or the use of superweapons to bring down or breach. Instead of taking out the generator or destroying the spawn tubes to end a fierce resistance, i'd really like to level the base around the enemy for a change. Line up 20-30 tanks and fire until even the basement is rubble.
Old 2011-12-23, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
ThirdCross
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
TR = Restore it plus have TR banners along the roads close to the bases.
Old 2011-12-23, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SteinB
Sergeant

I don't think they are going to have the devastation you guys are thinking of here. The only example of building destruction we were ever given was being able to blow a hole in a wall to fire or move through. (If you do have any official statement that goes beyond this please post a link, as an engineer type this aspect of the game interests me) And on AGNs last webcast Higby stated something along the lines that we wouldnt be destroying the flora just that it wouldn't be damaging our vehicles like the cement trees in PS1.
Old 2011-12-23, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ThGlump
Captain

I always thought that planet core would be using nanites to restore environment, and bases had self repair in ps1. So no need for thinking out some other way to restore it after battle.
Old 2011-12-25, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

I asked T-Ray if it was possible. He said anything is possible.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Graf
Private

I like the Idea of being able to blow up ANYTHING and then using engineers to repair or even resturcture the base. That would lead to interesting gameplay where the attacking forces would try to not damage stuff they can use, and defenderes destroying equipment and buildings before they lose to make it harder for the attacking forces to rebuild the base for their own use. Seiges would also be much more fun, especially if engineers were able to erect walls or buildings to defend, and attacking forces being able to chew through it. It would be even cooler if engineers could build destructable bridges. People could then damage the bridge and have it collapse. This would require alot of work to do right(and a really awsome physics engine). I really like destructable environments, especially ones that react like they would in real life, such as buildings slowly failing or going into progressive collapse, or cliffs being mined so it can tumble down and crush a convoy below. That is what I think they should work to, it would give the game much more strategy and dimension. Would take more than three years to do though.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gugabalog
Major

Destructible stuff seems iffy especially for a persistent world mmo.

But deployable bridges are interesting.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Graf
Private

It is only iffy if enginers don't maintain stuff. Plus it would give engineers a much cooler thing to do than to just deploy lame-o turrets and mines. I do like deployable things, especially if the steel failure is simulated correctly. Be very epic to be sprinting across a bridge as the cables are snapping around you, the asphalt breaking up...
Old 2012-08-04, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gugabalog
Major

That would be neat but I was thinking more of a strong piece of metal above/across a canyon. But engineers will be reapiring generators to bring up spawn tubes and vech/air terminals.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault